Publix

On 2/14/2020 at 8:10 AM, HankStrong said:

Going along with that, in our family Publix is probably down to like 10% of our shopping now that Amazon Fresh is in the mix.

ALDI has picked up some of our business from Lucky's (RIP) and I'm slowly trying more and more things from Amazon Fresh.

Freshfield Farms has gotten more of our business, as well.  But they aren't an option for everyone.

What are the prices like for Amazon Fresh? It's just delivery from Whole Foods - right?

I do the vast majority of my grocery shopping at Publix - the main reason being is I live downtown, walk to work and the Publix is 2 blocks away from me. I do the rest of my grocery shopping at Target (I'm a huge Target fan and now with circle, I might as well get 1% cash back and 5% off my entire purchase). 

• Like 1

The prices aren't amazing, but they are competitive.  Especially with free delivery within 2 hours.  That helps a lot.

If you already have a Prime membership, it's free with a $35 (AKA barely anything) order, so give it a try at least once.  I've found the fresh items way more desirable than the Walmart option, so that was a big pro for us.

I don't know if it is directly Whole Paycheck, but that seems logical.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LOL - it’s still my closest grocery store and the best place nearby to buy seafood so I stock up on the BOGO’s while I’m there. Target runs are Sunday morning for produce and to pick up staples ordered online. Someday, maybe Target will farm out grocery and they’ll improve on fresh seafood, bakery and deli.

@JFW657 likes his one-way streets such as Rosalind and Publix has heard him!

To promote physical distancing to fight COVID-19, Publix stores are installing arrows on the floors of their stores which direct shoppers in one direction only on each aisle.

https://bungalower.com/2020/04/09/publix-goes-one-way-to-promote-physical-distancing/

From Bungalower 

Edited by spenser1058

Quarantine Report: It doesn’t get any better than this: I walked through the park to Publix and snagged two (!) bottles of Scrub Free bathroom cleaner (which I desperately needed) AND they were on sale! My call-ahead Pub Sub was in the bin right on schedule. This week, anyway, I forgive Publix for all their political transgressions.

On the way back, the frosting on the cake: five (!) topless college lads sunning in the park and, bless their 6-pack encased hearts, they were even 6’ apart! Somedays I absolutely adore life here in The City Beautiful!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

Something I’ve never understood: Kroger is the preeminent grocery chain in the Midwest. Given that so many of the retirees to the Gulf coast of Florida (and now all the way north to The Villages) moved from that region, it seems like using the Kroger flag on stores along the I-75 corridor would have made more sense when they were trying to access Florida. Especially had they done it before Publix exploded in the mid-80’s. 

We now know that the big push into Florida by Lucky’s Market came from Kroger corporate. That move, of course, crashed and burned. There must be something to that strategy that escapes me.

It doesn't make sense at all.  They've implied it's not to start a grocery war with Publix or whoever the top dog is in each area, but that doesn't make sense either.  Proxy wars don't make sense in retail.  Either you win, you lose, or you accept your share of the market.  There isn't much more to it.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 5:19 PM, spenser1058 said:

LOL - it’s still my closest grocery store and the best place nearby to buy seafood so I stock up on the BOGO’s while I’m there. Target runs are Sunday morning for produce and to pick up staples ordered online. Someday, maybe Target will farm out grocery and they’ll improve on fresh seafood, bakery and deli.

As the forum's leading connoisseur of all things Publix, can you recommend a brand of salmon fillets to buy? Thinking about heading to Publix this weekend... won't drive to Whole Foods and I'm not buying salmon from Walmart Neighborhood Market anymore. They used to have this nice brand of marinated frozen salmon without funky artificial ingredients/preservatives but of course they stopped carrying it: http://www.cwirthy.com/frozen-salmon-products-at-walmart.php?id=17. I hate cooking so I'm a "Set It and Forget It" kind of guy. Actually I need a few options so any kind of fillet that you can recommend that is easy to cook would be appreciated.

Edited by nite owℓ

38 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

As the forum's leading connoisseur of all things Publix, can you recommend a brand of salmon fillets to buy? Thinking about heading to Publix this weekend... won't drive to Whole Foods and I'm not buying salmon from Walmart Neighborhood Market anymore. They used to have this nice brand of marinated frozen salmon without funky artificial ingredients/preservatives but of course they stopped carrying it: http://www.cwirthy.com/frozen-salmon-products-at-walmart.php?id=17. I hate cooking so I'm a "Set It and Forget It" kind of guy. Actually I need a few options so any kind of fillet that you can recommend that is easy to cook would be appreciated.

Sadly, with the frozen products I’m not of much help. I just get the $9.99/lb salmon fillets from the counter. I tried the frozen ones in the freezer cas and just didn’t much like the texture.

Stephen at the seafood counter is my bud who always helps me out. Be on the lookout for Publix to start running specials on non-farmed Alaskan fillets in the next week. While the season’s running, things like wild sockeye will be quite affordable.

I usually just pan-fry salmon in a little olive oil with garlic & herb seasoning and a splash of soy sauce. Whenever tilapia is on sale, I’ve been trying to effectively fry it in a cornmeal coating. 

Good luck - my goal has been to replace all my meat-eating with seafood. I’m not there yet but we’ll on my way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 9:31 AM, spenser1058 said:

Asking for a friend: would a jury convict someone who knocked the stuffing out of an idiot who went wrong way down the aisles at Publix at least THREE times on the same trip?  *sigh*

Perhaps low-information voters also failed basic kindergarten skills.

Yes, I would. This one way isles thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I often buy the product on sale, so I end up walking past the item I want, then I need to walk back to get the one that is the best price... am I supposed to walk down the next isle, and then walk back and end up passing 3x as many people to do that? People are stopping all the time, they go down isles at different speeds... it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. And when I want something at the end, near the side of the isle I'm on, I'm supposed to walk 2-300 feet instead of 10 ft to get the item I want? How's this supposed to promote social distancing? Unfortunately the one way isles is simply a visual method to try to show stores are doing something instead of actually being useful towards any goal.

• Like 1