Publix

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Oh boy! Banana Walnut Loaf and Pound Cake are BOGO this week - @JFW657 and I will have to have a tea party!

Doctor says I can't eat that kind of stuff.

But I do cheat once in awhile.

Had a nice thick slab of banana nut bread I got at the new CFR Dolllar Tree not long ago.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The one way arrows are gone at the Eola Publix. So are the social distancing strips but I hope folks still follow that.

Masks in the store are rapidly becoming gender-related: women are good about it. With men, the “manly men” can’t be bothered while we “guys next door” sorts are more likely to have them on.

Outdoors in the park they’re all but gone.

On 6/13/2020 at 10:47 AM, spenser1058 said:

The one way arrows are gone at the Eola Publix. So are the social distancing strips but I hope folks still follow that.

Masks in the store are rapidly becoming gender-related: women are good about it. With men, the “manly men” can’t be bothered while we “guys next door” sorts are more likely to have them on.

Outdoors in the park they’re all but gone.

To be fair, I think most of my friends would describe me as a manly man, but I'm in!  We're not all cavemen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

OK wish me luck. For tomorrow’s Publix seafood adventure, I’m going to try and use Apple Pay for the first time.

While I use Apple Pay online frequently, this will be my first shot at it in person. Come by tomorrow if you wanna see the clueless old guy trying to give technology a go...

Publix has Apple Pay? I go to the one on Michigan and they do not have it. 

Edited by jack

Sooooo.... I tried and failed. My handsome cashier lad told me they tested it at Eola a couple of weeks ago but there were problems, so back to my Discover Debit card.

This, of course, not shocking. When it comes to anything new at Publix, our Jacksonville division is invariably last to get it. I, however, shall persevere!

• 3 weeks later...

Hallelujah! I don’t mind wearing a mask but trying to shop with one-way aisles makes me feel like a rat in a maze.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2020/08/31/publix-ends-one-way-aisle-policy-at-some-stores

From Bay News 9

Just back from my Eola Publix and all the one way markers are disappeared. Tbh, it’s easier to social distance if you find one aisle too crowded by just popping over to the next one so I think this more likely accomplishes the goal.

Edited by spenser1058

Last month, Publix permanently closed its two South Carolina GreenWise Markets. Since there’s only a dozen or so of them, it’s not an insignificant portion of the total.

Although the Water Street Tampa store is still underway, Publix still seems unsure of the concept. It first kicked off just in time for 2008’s Great Recession. It stalled not only due to the economy but also customer confusion ( “whattya mean you don’t have rotisserie chickens!?!).

Since they began expanding the platform several years later, it’s been at a snail’s pace and Publix leaders are no doubt mindful of the demise of other similar chains such as Lucky’s Market.

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2020/08/06/publix-closing-sc-greenwise-market-stores.html

From the Tampa Bay News Biz Journal 

Edited by spenser1058

“For 90 years, it’s been our pleasure.” Arguably Florida’s most successful homegrown company, Publix turns 90 this week:

https://www.fox13news.com/news/established-in-1930-floridas-beloved-supermarket-publix-turns-90-this-week

From FOX13

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...

This has happened to GreenWise before. Given Publix’ uberconservative roots, their typical response to the reaction in Mountain Brook (Birmingham’s traditional ultra-tony enclave) has been to just give up on the whole thing and go back to basics.

https://www.al.com/opinion/2020/09/the-alabamification-of-greenwise.html

From AL.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 3:35 PM, spenser1058 said:

Sooooo.... I tried and failed. My handsome cashier lad told me they tested it at Eola a couple of weeks ago but there were problems, so back to my Discover Debit card.

This, of course, not shocking. When it comes to anything new at Publix, our Jacksonville division is invariably last to get it. I, however, shall persevere!

I used Apple Pay this morning at the Michigan location in the self checkout lane. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since seafood is the bulk of the protein in my diet, I was excited to see this. Atlantic Sapphire, which is farming salmon in Miami, will begin to offer product in 269 Publix stores. while those will mostly be in South Florida for now, hopefully they’ll soon make their way to Orlando.

Most of the farmed salmon consumed in the US is from sources in Chile and Norway, so it will be awesome to have a source so close to home. Best of all, it’s good to see both Atlantic Sapphire and Publix making the commitment to sustainable seafood.

https://www.seafoodsource.com/news/foodservice-retail/florida-connection-draws-publix-into-atlantic-sapphire-partnership

• 2 weeks later...