Publix

So, I'm a total fanboy of Ennis Davis' work at metrojacksonville.com. This is a history of Winn - Dixie and, although it concentrates on Jax, you'll probably recognize the exterior store designs from locations here in Orlando. Interestingly, if you scroll down you'll see an art deco Lovett's from the 40's that would have made Mr. George at Publix proud. Finally, there's a shot of our Coytown W-D but one correction: while that store was built in the 70's, it replaced an earlier version in the front of it bumping up against Colonial that was much older.

https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2018-feb-93-years-of-winn-dixie

I regularly shop at Publix.  I really enjoy Trader Joe's and Lucky's, but they aren't quite close enough for me to regularly shop there conveniently.

I grew up in the Midwest.  Our family was too poor to shop at Kroger's (none here YET, but with Kroger Pharmacies in town how long can it be???)  and we mostly shopped at Marsh (none down this way) and ALDI.  Sometimes we went to the local IGA but it was kinda rough.

I mention all that because Publix was a huge bright spot when I moved here.  The prices were lower than Kroger and they weren't nearly as dumpy as W-D or Albertson's.  They were better quality than the Marsh I was used to.  I firmly think that the quality of Publix has DECREASED as W-D, Albertson's, and other competitors have failed.  The oomph hasn't been there like when I first moved here.  Their main competitor has become Wal-Mart and frankly... you just have to not have people peeing in your aisles to beat them because you'll likely never beat their prices.

• Haha 1

Sings, "Let's Go Krogering..."

Kroger has tried a couple of times to take on Publix on their home turf and failed. Both Florida's Choice and SuperX Foods were Kroger entries in the Central Florida market that, like all the other chains before them, eventually left town.

Now, Kroger is investing in organic grocer Lucky's Market, which is opening stores in Orlando. If they catch on, watch for stand alone Publix Green Wise Markets to take them on.

• Like 1

That montage is missing a very important jingle.  For years and years they'd play one that said "Let's go Krogering! For the best of everything, including the price!"

Local people used to modify the song to...  EXCLUDING the price.  Which is probably about when the cancelled that ad program.

Another grocery sidebar from my Miami of Ohio college days.  A local grocery called Eavey's had the owner Frank Eavey make his own commercials on the radio.  He was super deadpan and monotone.  He would become the Rock N' Roll Grocer by playing the Ramones' Rock n' Roll High School and just say GROCER over it every time they'd say high school.  "Rock, rock, rock n' roll GROCER" Which I'm sure wasn't done with legalities or royalties included.  He would also rap as MC Grocer over Beastie Boys songs and other rap songs.

• Like 1

Fresh Market has wonderful food options, but SWEET BABY JESUS are they expensive.  They make Whole Paycheck (pre-Amazon days) look like a lightweight.

The most remarkable thing is their prepared food options.  Insanely good.  You can go in and pick up a gourmet dinner that is 100% cooked and ready to go.  You could also just pick up fresh pizzas or wings that are ready to eat.  I'd give that the best rating I could possibly give a grocery store.  It makes the Publix take away counter look like complete crap. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Fresh Market has wonderful food options, but SWEET BABY JESUS are they expensive.  They make Whole Paycheck (pre-Amazon days) look like a lightweight.

The most remarkable thing is their prepared food options.  Insanely good.  You can go in and pick up a gourmet dinner that is 100% cooked and ready to go.  You could also just pick up fresh pizzas or wings that are ready to eat.  I'd give that the best rating I could possibly give a grocery store.  It makes the Publix take away counter look like complete crap. 

The current Publii locally still have the limited prepared foods. The newer formats are getting a much wider selection but the Jacksonville Division (including us) is often the last area for innovation (although we did get a test store for prepared foods in Longwood, I think.) Word is some of the options in the new Virginia/NC stores and the collegiate ones are awesome.

Edited by spenser1058

26 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

What struck me about FM@MP when I first walked in, was what seemed to me like a lot of unused (wasted) floor space. The emphasis seems to be on presentation and a boutique like atmosphere rather than a really large selection of merchandise.

fresh-market-mills-park-store*1200xx3264

I don't doubt that they have some unique items or that the quality is good, but I just felt like a lot of slick merchandising was happening inside. It feels more like a food boutique than a grocery store. I suppose that can be considered a good thing, but I wonder how much of that is reflected in the prices. You walk in and it just looks expensive.

I might have to try one of their pizzas, though.

• Like 2

There is a FM by my wife's grandmother's house.  She'll stop on her way home from there sometimes and pick us up something for dinner.  All have been tasty and the lack of having to cook combined with it not coming in a value meal is a great option.

I totally agree with jfw's assessment, though.  It's all show. 

Their bulk foods as seen in that picture are very affordable.  About the only thing in the store that I'd say that about.  

They sell these wonderful dehydrated fruits, but for a bag that is 98% air and the size of a vending machine bag of chips, it will run you almost $4.  Don't worry, they sell a large size.  For like $8 you get a full handful of fruit.  For the same price at Trader Joe's you'd get a half pound or more of the same dehydrated fruit.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Agreed. Their sushi is absolutely amazing for a grocery store and has real sushi chefs making it fresh in house.  I stopped going there, though, because I would be tempted to buy other items that I could get for like half as much at another store. 

• Like 1

Interesting rumor if anything comes of it. I like Target but when I tried the grocery side of SuperTarget, I was seriously underwhelmed and went scurrying back to Publix.

Meanwhile, Kroger has been doing supercenters for a while, especially Fred Meyer in the Northwest.

Neither Target nor Kroger has ever matched Publix customer service, but Target usually scores better than Kroger on customer satisfaction surveys.

Both companies also score much higher on the HRC Equality Index than Publix.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/03/23/shares-of-target-and-kroger-jump-on-report-of-possible-merger-talks.html

From CNBC

I'm interested to see how long before Publix hops on this technology (and of course our Jax division will likely be the last to get it.)
https://www.10tv.com/article/kroger-announces-its-new-grocery-technology-stores

Publix's glacial pace in adopting new tech is maddening. But they also have the chipotle jerk Pub sub right now, so there's that.

My kingdom for an Apple Pay tap ...
  • Like 1

Publix wins on location for me, which is my most important factor (as long as the selection is "good enough"), but scan n go at walmart and sams is AMAZING. Between the price structure that make me feel like I always need to shop the sales and the lack of tech (Android Pay, Scan n Go, etc), Publix is slowly losing my heart. Costco too, and that one hurts me even more.

• Like 1

Walmart got it right in an ad that suggested, "we let you shop YOUR list while Publix makes you shop THEIR list."! Which is exactly right because I decide what to eat based on what's on sale that week.

OTOH, I tried shopping at Walmart (and SuperTarget for that matter), and I still prefer the selection at Publix (except produce.) I probably know half the associates at the Eola Publix. I don't think I've ever gotten to know anyone at Walmart. The irony is Publix used to be on the cutting edge of technology for grocery stores right up through the '80's. I'm not sure what happened.

32 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Walmart got it right in an ad that suggested, "we let you shop YOUR list while Publix makes you shop THEIR list."! Which is exactly right because I decide what to eat based on what's on sale that week.

OTOH, I tried shopping at Walmart (and SuperTarget for that matter), and I still prefer the selection at Publix (except produce.) I probably know half the associates at the Eola Publix. I don't think I've ever gotten to know anyone at Walmart. The irony is Publix used to be on the cutting edge of technology for grocery stores right up through the '80's. I'm not sure what happened.

Publix has really stepped up their game recently. With the BOGOs and 10 for 10s, you can get really great deals there. They’ve been getting a good stream of new products too. And that’s at the Eola one which is much smaller than most. 

• Like 1

Well, we previously found out Pub Subs were Florida's best, now Charlotte has decided The Pleasurable P  is #1 in fried chicken:

http://amp.charlotteobserver.com/living/food-drink/article207150159.html

From the Charlotte Observer

Hopefully, Dale is keeping his belly full of deep-fried goodness up there!

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Well, we previously found out Pub Subs were Florida's best, now Charlotte has decided The Pleasurable P  is #1 in fried chicken:

http://amp.charlotteobserver.com/living/food-drink/article207150159.html

From the Charlotte Observer

Hopefully, Dale is keeping his belly full of deep-fried goodness up there!

Publix fried chicken is pretty dang good. Their side items can use some help. 

• Like 1

Here comes Publix kicking and screaming into the 20th century!

While Amazon, Kroger and Walmart are working on stores without cashiers, Publix has gotten around to a.... drive thru pharmacy!

This will be at a Macon area store opening shortly.

https://macon.relaymedia.com/amp/news/business/article207805959.html

From the Macon Telegraph