Publix

30 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I don't understand how more single-use plastics aren't made out of corn starch at this point.

I think Publix  might head towards paper bags and pushing reusable fabric bags a la Whole Foods.   

PLA (the plastic made from corn starch) has significant problems when it comes to "recycling" since really it needs to be composted rather than traditionally recycled and the composting requirements are significant (e.g. months at 140 degrees with lots of microbes to break the plastic down). 

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/environmental-impact-of-corn-based-plastics/

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Thanks for the educational link.  I admit I had no idea it required that much.  I knew the composting part, but I thought it was a basic compost.  Wow. 

There is a lot of truth in the line "there is no magic bullet"

Yup, and realistically, paper is not really better than plastic either. To hold the same amount of weight as a plastic bag, you need 8x the material, and if they get sent to the landfill, landfills are generally designed to preventing things from decomposing, so its 8x the space in eternity. I remember when I was young how the switch from paper to plastic was also for environmental reasons, saving the trees was huge at the time, I was told we were clearcutting all of our rainforests causing global warming and switching to plastic, which is lighter, smaller, and stronger, and produced out of waste products of oil/natural gas refining was gonna save the planet.

I use reusable fabric bags most of the time these days, except I like to get some plastic bags to use in my smaller trash cans (bedrooms/bathrooms/office/etc), so they all get used twice. One of the side effects in areas that banned plastic bags at grocery stores was of switching from plastic to paper is boosting plastic trash bag sales, so its often just sending both paper and plastic to the landfill instead of just plastic. The most environmentally friendly thing is whatever you are going to reuse the most often. I can never managed to reuse any to the paper bags I get at Trader Joes, they always rip and don't make good trash liners.

Kroger has announced it will begin phasing out plastic bags at checkout at its QFC stores in Seattle next year and end the practice nationwide by 2025.
Will Publix be next?
https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/1062241002
From Cincinnati.com

Side note: these “community connections” things from the Sentinel are maddening. As they’re essentially blog posts by non-journalists, it’s so frustrating they’re placed in the breaking & local news sections. The amateurish writing style is so off putting when one is expecting a real story.

That said, there is indeed no magic bullet. I just use fabric when I remember to, reuse plastic for trash can liners and the cat’s litter, and recycle the rest at Publix since they can’t go in single stream.

I use reusable bags, except on the rare (now, it used to be I barely remembered to use them) occasions I forget or don't have one with me.

When I get plastic bags, they all go into my laundry room.  When I get a bag full of bags I give them to one of the people we know that have cats and use them for cat litter.  At least they are being used a 2nd time.

• Like 1

It turns out Amazon's acquisition of Whole Foods may affect Trader Joe's more than traditional grocers like Kroger (Hank's favorite!) and Publix:

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-08-27/amazon-s-whole-foods-is-starting-to-steal-trader-joe-s-shoppers

From Bloomberg

Let the battle begin on 17-92!

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, orlandoguy said:

Egads ... no mention of the Colonial Town Center location’s opening date. Do I start fretting now or wait???

TBH, if I lived in Baldwin Park I think I'd rather go to Sprouts (about to open on Aloma where Whole Foods used to be. Audubon Park, Sprouts or Fresh Market on Mills.

Living downtown, I'd go hang at the Lucky's down past SoDo with Jernigan's posse. 

It may just be me, but I have zero attraction to that stretch of Colonial. It just screams tired. 

That's also assuming the Baldwin Park folks even want to leave the Publix deeply ensconced in their bubble.

I know our UP crowd thinks Publix is awfully old school but they are still Florida's biggest grocer by market share.

The original thought was either the Hollieanna Publix in WP or one of the two Dr Phillips Publii.

Then the crash came.

Those are still likely candidates but Publix is going to have to get more visionary management first. Frankly, they're in a rut. They can coast for quite a while from their impenetrable Florida fortress (more than 75% of the stores are still here), but sooner or later they need to innovate or die.

The fact Kroger is back (as Lucky's) says a lot.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2018 at 3:37 PM, spenser1058 said:

OMG - All foot long Pub Subs are on sale for $5.99 through Sept 26. That's the first time they've ALL been on sale, even CHICKEN TENDERS. That's a seriously orgasmic PLEASURE.

https://www.wptv.com/lifestyle/taste-and-see/don-t-miss-this-deal-all-publix-subs-on-sale-until-september-26

From WFTV

I heard about that.

Next one you get, ask them to not cut up the tenders then coat them in Buffalo Wing sauce. 

:P

BTW, it's also get a free Wendy's Single w/cheese with any purchase for the rest of September in honor of National Cheeseburger Day yesterday.

I think you have to d/l their mobile app or some such rigamarole.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

TBH, if I lived in Baldwin Park I think I'd rather go to Sprouts (about to open on Aloma where Whole Foods used to be. Audubon Park, Sprouts or Fresh Market on Mills.
Living downtown, I'd go hang at the Lucky's down past SoDo with Jernigan's posse. 
It may just be me, but I have zero attraction to that stretch of Colonial. It just screams tired. 
That's also assuming the Baldwin Park folks even want to leave the Publix deeply ensconced in their bubble.
I know our UP crowd thinks Publix is awfully old school but they are still Florida's biggest grocer by market share.

For me, SoDo is further than the (eventual) Colonial location. It’s also really convenient to get into Colonial Landing since you don’t have to get on Colonial thanks to the Maguire entrance.

Also: BEER. [emoji482]
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A look inside the Publix GreenWise in Tally - this is not your grandmother's Publix.

New GreenWise Market is Publixs clapback to the rise of the speciality chain

https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/retail/New-GreenWise-Market-is-Publix-s-clapback-to-the-rise-of-the-speciality-chain_172366204

(Via Tampa Bay Times)

Also interesting: it's finally acknowledged the original GreenWise stores about 2008 flopped.

1 hour ago, bqknight said:

The Publix on Orange and Michigan (Southside Shopping Center) now has self-checkout lanes. This is the first Publix I have seen with these. 

I've been thoroughly impressed how long Publix has waited out on them, and generally managed relatively short lines without them as well (along with generally offering carryout service to everyone). With it being impossible to find any labor at the low wages anymore, its apparent it was just a matter of time before they took the step. I went to Walmart for the first time in a long while, and the self checkout lines were 20+ people deep, not to mention the few cashier lines.

1 hour ago, bqknight said:

The Publix on Orange and Michigan (Southside Shopping Center) now has self-checkout lanes. This is the first Publix I have seen with these. 

Definitely the first in Orlando I know of. They've had them in the out of state stores for a while.

We poor souls in the Jacksonville Division get any innovations or technology last.

7 minutes ago, aent said:

I've been thoroughly impressed how long Publix has waited out on them, and generally managed relatively short lines without them as well (along with generally offering carryout service to everyone). With it being impossible to find any labor at the low wages anymore, its apparent it was just a matter of time before they took the step. I went to Walmart for the first time in a long while, and the self checkout lines were 20+ people deep, not to mention the few cashier lines.

I prefer them, I don't really know why. HOWEVER, it depends which system they use. Target's were BAD but they updated them and are better. Walmart's are okay. Publix's worked great. Publix typically waits to have things 100% before rolling it out to the public. I know they're working on Apple Pay too, just don't think it's quite there yet.