Publix

1 hour ago, bqknight said:

I prefer them, I don't really know why. HOWEVER, it depends which system they use. Target's were BAD but they updated them and are better. Walmart's are okay. Publix's worked great. Publix typically waits to have things 100% before rolling it out to the public. I know they're working on Apple Pay too, just don't think it's quite there yet. 

Yes this.  I stopped in Walmart Market for uhhh... I don't even remember what, shampoo maybe? on the way home from the gym since I didn't feel like walking to Target.  Extremely slow process that was not efficient at all.  I kept apologizing to the lady behind me because I'm like, a one item transaction should *not* take this long.

3 hours ago, bqknight said:

The Publix on Orange and Michigan (Southside Shopping Center) now has self-checkout lanes. This is the first Publix I have seen with these. 

One thing I'm intrigued by is how full they're going to go on this renovation.  Generally when a store does revamp, they close down almost a third of it.  It feels a bit like Publix is trying to have their proverbial cake and eat it by basically shutting down almost nothing.

Adding 2018 fixtures doesn't really matter if your floor still looks 2005.

2 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Ooooh! Andy's faster than me. I'm getting old *sigh*.

I also decided to forget how to use multi-quote.  Gotta artificially inflate that post count!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyPok1 said:

One thing I'm intrigued by is how full they're going to go on this renovation.  Generally when a store does revamp, they close down almost a third of it.  It feels a bit like Publix is trying to have their proverbial cake and eat it by basically shutting down almost nothing.

Adding 2018 fixtures doesn't really matter if your floor still looks 2005.

I am a little concerned that there's nothing happening yet with the Paramount refresh. They usually shoot for every 5 years or so and we just hit the 10-year mark last month.

My hope was they might consider taking out some of the packaged goods aisles to allow more room for produce and prepared foods. So far, no one is talking that I've asked.

Meanwhile, back at Le Tar-jay, they've decided to go head to head with Dollar General, Aldi and Brandless by offering a new in-house brand, Smartly, that offers smaller sizes and lower prices than their regular private label for household/personal items, Up and Up.

https://www.today.com/today/amp/tdna139026

From Today

Since I'm infamous for buying 25 rolls of Charmin at a time (or the Up and Up equivalent), it's probably not my thing. However, given dollar stores are just about the hottest thing in retail, it will be interesting to see if it brings a new customer to an already revigorated Target. 

It's supposedly also popular with college kids pinching pennies and with little dorm space, so this could mesh well with their new smaller stores near campus. (C'mon Target, give us one near UCF/Valencia Downtown!)

5 hours ago, bqknight said:

I prefer them, I don't really know why. HOWEVER, it depends which system they use. Target's were BAD but they updated them and are better. Walmart's are okay. Publix's worked great. Publix typically waits to have things 100% before rolling it out to the public. I know they're working on Apple Pay too, just don't think it's quite there yet. 

While Publix hasn't bothered me for not having them due to their generally amazing customer service/staffing, I prefer them as well. Sams Clubs introduction of them along with the scan n go app makes it my fastest and easiest store to get in and out of. I was so disappointed Walmart dropped it. I dropped Costco for Sams Club Scan n Go

• Thanks 1

Walmart Canada is looking into selling cannabis products in its stores. Just imagine - pick up your weed-infused items and all your munchies in the same place - talk about synergy!

(Imagine if John Morgan linked up with Publix one day...)

https://amp.businessinsider.com/walmart-canadian-stores-exploring-marijuana-products-2018-10

From Business Insider

Edited by spenser1058

More details on the new GreenWise Market in Tally (shhh! we're not allowed to tell it's owned by Publix.)

Interestingly, no plans for a store in Orlando in 2019.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/store-design-construction/5-things-know-about-publixs-new-greenwise-market

From Supermarket News

Also: where the original GreenWise Markets were designed to compete with Whole Foods (shhhh! we're not allowed to say it's owned by Amazon), the new ones are designed to go head-to-head with Lucky's Market (shhh! we're not allowed to write it's owned by Kroger.)

Do you suppose millennials are really so clueless about the overlords who control these hipster foodie paradises?

So.... Target updated its mobile app, which resulted in a slightly different process to have things delivered. As a result, my olive oil was off to SoDo for pickup  instead of being mailed to The Shores of Eola.

Off I went (in the pickup that I'm renting while the Focus is in the shop - you may call me Bubba this week.) I'm pleased to report parking in the SoDo garage is still plentiful despite it being a Saturday afternoon.

I went to the Guest Service counter, gave the Target associate my license for ID and was in and out in under 60 seconds. She was also very friendly so the recent Target pay raise is apparently working. All in all, a good experience other than the initial error on my part.

Edited by spenser1058

This may be a typo but in a News-Journal story about new shopping centers in what's being dubbed "New Daytona," there is supposedly a planned 14000sf Publix Liquors going up next to a traditional Publix.

That's quite a bit larger than Publix liquor stores usually are. If correct, I wonder if they'll adjust their pricing model for the new larger format.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20181013/word-on-street--grocery-store-projects-move-ahead-on-lpga-blvd

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

That was a pretty good one.

Back before Publix holiday commercials got so corny and sappy.

It's also pure Florida before Publix crossed the state line into Georgia. Hence the houseboat in the Keys.

Back when they were Florida's (and ONLY Florida's) grocery store. And Burdines was "The Florida Store" (even if it was owned by an Ohio outfit.)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...