Can Parramore become Orlando's version of Harlem

orlandouprise

I wouldn't be surprised if people feel uncomfortable after dark walking to City View. You don't have to go that far out of the CBD to get that experience. Honestly the poorly lit sections of Pine are just as uncomfortable at times. There's been a number of shootings along Pine west of Orange Avenue in the last few years, as well.

I do think that it's getting better on the whole.

Probably comes down to personal tolerances, sensitivity, situational awareness, etc.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:11 PM, jrs2 said:

Living in Parramore is not trendy.

You would literally need to do what they are doing in LA near their CC and LA Live, and literally build out every square block leading to the closest Blue Line station to clean that area up.  

Aside from a stadium, I'm not sure a South Park (LA) to Parramore comparison is apples to apples.  Parramore is much more reminiscent of nearby McArthur Park, an area of LA that has seen gentrification surround it and also leave it behind.  McArthur Park even has a very convenient metro heavy rail connection to downtown, yet a history of disinvestment by the city in the neighborhood has made developers wary to dig their heels in.  Like Parramore, McArthur Park was not always in the sad state it is in today.  There was a time when McArthur Park was to be LA's version of NYC's Central Park South (you can still see evidence of that when you walk the area -- grand pre-war buildings there just begging for a reno).  As the history of LA pushed westward, so too did the wealthy residents that lived there.

• Like 1

While there were no doubt some great Southern black neighborhoods in the Jim Crow era with grand old houses that might have been rehabilitated, Parramore was at best working-class (my best guess is that the predominantly agricultural economy of the region was the reason for this - it was hard enough to make a fortune if you were white and probably next to impossible in that time if you weren't.) Further, ongoing discrimination with poor schools and a lack of zoning (putting industrial-type businesses cheek to jowl with what residential there was) made things even worse. There were neighborhoods like Concord Park and north of Lake Lorna Doone as well as Rock Lake (those were predominantly white neighborhoods before the passage of Equal Housing laws in the mid-60's) that still have interesting possibilities. Parramore's claim to fame was as the business center for the African-American community during the days of segregation. Everything else is left to the citizens of today to improve.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 0:32 PM, spenser1058 said:

While there were no doubt some great Southern black neighborhoods in the Jim Crow era with grand old houses that might have been rehabilitated, Parramore was at best working-class (my best guess is that the predominantly agricultural economy of the region was the reason for this - it was hard enough to make a fortune if you were white and probably next to impossible in that time if you weren't.) Further, ongoing discrimination with poor schools and a lack of zoning (putting industrial-type businesses cheek to jowl with what residential there was) made things even worse. There were neighborhoods like Concord Park and north of Lake Lorna Doone as well as Rock Lake (those were predominantly white neighborhoods before the passage of Equal Housing laws in the mid-60's) that still have interesting possibilities. Parramore's claim to fame was as the business center for the African-American community during the days of segregation. Everything else is left to the citizens of today to improve.

And most of those are renters. 

On 3/25/2017 at 0:32 PM, spenser1058 said:

Bingo. 

On 3/24/2017 at 8:24 PM, Universe_Explorer said:

What's disgusting about the Health Department?  It's a well kept building sitting on a complex with the Orange County Medical Clinic that houses a couple hundred jobs and serves the community it's located in, in addition to people throughout the county as a whole.  I'm always confused about people that want more "jobs" and services in downtown/parramore but seem to frown upon the jobs and services that actually exist there...I mean, for all the urban planning this board discusses, this is a place where patrons actually take the free Lymmo to (stop right next to it).  If your disgusting experience had to do with an experience there (with staff or by virtue of having to deal with a public health issue), than I guess I understand it, but in regards to it actually being located where it is and why that makes the area any less desirable I don't really get it. 

If you don't "get it," then Iive.  Then, you'll get it.  

Edited by jrs2

• 1 year later...

A funky old venue located in an old airplane hangar (please note the spelling) just down the street from OCSC is struggling with the city to meet safety and code requirements. Here's hoping they work it out - it's perfect for the aesthetic of the area.

http://bungalower.com/2018/05/24/1010-west-venue-condemned/

From Bungalower

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2018 at 2:44 PM, spenser1058 said:

A funky old venue located in an old airplane hangar (please note the spelling) just down the street from OCSC is struggling with the city to meet safety and code requirements. Here's hoping they work it out - it's perfect for the aesthetic of the area.

http://bungalower.com/2018/05/24/1010-west-venue-condemned/

From Bungalower

Prange?  interesting...

• 10 months later...

The Orlando City Council is being asked to rename a local street in honor of longtime Parramore resident and educator Felix Cosby.

It’s a very positive move - while we’re at it, let’s FINALLY ditch the name Division Avenue, shall we?

https://bungalower.com/2019/04/15/former-parramore-principal-to-be-honored-with-street-renaming/

From Bungalower 

Dang!  That's one hell of a resume!  

Side note:  Callahan head start was demolished or his childhood home was demolished?  That neighborhood center was fairly new and the facade I assume was preserved previously because of its significance right?

Unless I'm thinking of a totally different building.

image.thumb.png.731474ae04cc2e054d58705e1a531d4e.png

On 4/16/2019 at 8:20 AM, codypet said:

Dang!  That's one hell of a resume!  

Side note:  Callahan head start was demolished or his childhood home was demolished?  That neighborhood center was fairly new and the facade I assume was preserved previously because of its significance right?

Unless I'm thinking of a totally different building.

image.thumb.png.731474ae04cc2e054d58705e1a531d4e.png

Yes, they kept the old Callahan Elementary facade and gutted the building. It worked really well and demonstrated what could have happened with the Jaymont Block if not for Bulldozer Buddy. Heaven knows it would have been more interesting than the sterile, soulless black hole we got instead.

As far as I know, the building is still active based on driving by on Washington St. a couple of times a week so I think they meant his House was the one removed.

Edited by spenser1058

On 4/16/2019 at 6:03 AM, spenser1058 said:

The Orlando City Council is being asked to rename a local street in honor of longtime Parramore resident and educator Felix Cosby.

It’s a very positive move - while we’re at it, let’s FINALLY ditch the name Division Avenue, shall we?

https://bungalower.com/2019/04/15/former-parramore-principal-to-be-honored-with-street-renaming/

From Bungalower 

Hopefully it gets changed to "Felix Cosby" and not just "Cosby" for, you know...

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-washington-street-fire-orlando-20200216-5awic437ubandgsc4v23wmgs7q-story.html

So I was driving past this house a few hours before the fire.  I thought to myself at that time seeing the rest of the block cleared thinking that place was going to mysteriously burn down especially with all the homeless wandering around.   I didn't think it was gonna happen tonight!

4 minutes ago, codypet said:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-washington-street-fire-orlando-20200216-5awic437ubandgsc4v23wmgs7q-story.html

So I was driving past this house a few hours before the fire.  I thought to myself at that time seeing the rest of the block cleared thinking that place was going to mysteriously burn down especially with all the homeless wandering around.   I didn't think it was gonna happen tonight!

So you say you were in the vicinity... hmm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, codypet said:

That would be the 3rd structure in Parramore to burn within the past 30 days...

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/02/07/orlando-firefighters-battle-blaze-downtown-roads-closed/

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/01/22/crews-battle-orlando-building-fire/

3 hours ago, AmIReal said:

So you say you were in the vicinity... hmm.

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Driving through there last couple of days I can tell you that there is a lot of transients over there. I sometimes have to pick up scooters out in that area and it's a lot of people. Easily like two dozen on any given day sleeping along the edge of the road.

On 2/16/2020 at 5:42 PM, codypet said:

Driving through there last couple of days I can tell you that there is a lot of transients over there. I sometimes have to pick up scooters out in that area and it's a lot of people. Easily like two dozen on any given day sleeping along the edge of the road.

Very sketchy. Is your safety really worth going into that area?

Going out last night Parramore was actually quiet with homeless people compared to Church St Sunrail platform which had people sleeping under the awning (@10pm when the NB train was coming through) or Pine & Orange where transients begging for money or sleeping on the stoop next to Dapper Duck.  My timing is still a little off as the real money can be made in Balwin/College Park/and Delaney, but its soooo inconsistent.

• 3 months later...