Can Parramore become Orlando's version of Harlem

orlandouprise

11 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Wow, it’s in three threads now - we really are into that church! <g> Praise the Lord!

it is bizarre...if they leave the neighborhood, it will hurt the neighborhood.

SO, since it looks like it is a done deal, it looks like they may build "Former Amway Center Church Street Brick Parking Deck Round 2 With Street Side Retail Only This Time Three Blocks Further West."

2 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

it is bizarre...if they leave the neighborhood, it will hurt the neighborhood.

SO, since it looks like it is a done deal, it looks like they may build "Former Amway Center Church Street Brick Parking Deck Round 2 With Street Side Retail Only This Time Three Blocks Further West."

You’ve got me on that one - of the most influential Black churches in town, I’ve never heard that one mentioned much (I’m just a white boy, so what do I know, although I used to have to keep the list of which churches we simply had to visit during campaigns).

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

You’ve got me on that one - of the most influential Black churches in town, I’ve never heard that one mentioned much (I’m just a white boy, so what do I know, although I used to have to keep the list of which churches we simply had to visit during campaigns).

City Soccer stated they were exploring a parking deck with retail...which is what DeVos' tore down a few years back...

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bad news from OBT - it seems Orlando landmark Goff’s is gone and it ain’t coming back.

It’s all the worse given an arsonist earlier this year set in motion the path of events that led to this.

Thank goodness BEEFY King (it goes back to ‘68) is still going strong (despite its own past issues with arsonists) and, if you’d like a trip back in time, the 1950’s era Dairy Queen endures on US1 in NSB.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/6237-newsy-nuggets-12-6-22

From Scott J

http://www.dqnsb.com/

Edited by spenser1058

Remember Beefy King also had an arsonist, but in that case, people called for his head, and he was caught days later.  That said, the poor owners keep losing their sign to hurricanes.  After having minor damage from Ian, Nicole just blew the sign completely out.  I assume the replacement is on backorder.

• Thanks 1

Goff’s may be gone but J. Henry’s is on the way back. The barber shop, which is also a major gathering spot for the men of the Parramore neighborhood, burned down in 2021, but thanks to the efforts of the City and a whole lot of folks, will reopen in 2023. 

This is important for Parramore and for Orlando. It’s really good to see this happening.

https://www.yourcommunitypaper.com/articles/j-henrys-barber-shop-will-soon-rise-from-the-ashes/

From Your Community Paper

• 1 month later...