Sign in to follow this  
TheRaglander

Mayor Berry - her legacy

I mentioned this on another thread but risked a "thread derailment".  Hopefully this is the right sport for it because I would like to get everyone's opinion.

I will ask here:   What do you think Mayor Berry's big opportunity is for her legacy?  Bredeson with the arena and Titans, Dean with the MCC...  for her?  Transit?  East bank of Nashville with PSC?  MLS?  If transit, do you really think something will be done in her tenure?

21 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

If she gets rid of Straws, er, Stix, that will make her the greatest mayor in the history of Nashville. :rolleyes:

.|..

To answer the question posed in the OP: Transit. If it happens.

• Like 1

Transit takes a long time, but she will have until the latter half of 2023 to get the foundation in place (I expect her to seek and win re-election easily). If she can get at least one or two major transit corridors under construction by the time she leaves office then I believe she will be credited with the expansion of transit. The other potential legacy project would be the transformation of the Fairgrounds if the MLS chooses Nashville. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow saw this on twitter I will leave it here about the Nashville mayor and her repeatedly early morning trips to the cemetery "to reflect"  https://www.newschannel5.com/news/newschannel-5-investigates/city-hall-scandal/security-video-shows-mayor-bodyguard-during-early-morning-cemetery-visits   This is now called national on front page of the Drudge Report and all over twitter. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Transit. Transit. Transit. 

Thats her prime legacy, whether it passes or fails. Or at least as far as policy goes. If it passes her accomplishments will be viewed positively, if it fails it won’t. As far as the affair goes, that’s just gonna stick no matter what. But it’s the transit issue that will decide if she’s a successful mayor who slept around or an unsuccessful mayor who slept around. 

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Wow saw this on twitter I will leave it here about the Nashville mayor and her repeatedly early morning trips to the cemetery "to reflect"  https://www.newschannel5.com/news/newschannel-5-investigates/city-hall-scandal/security-video-shows-mayor-bodyguard-during-early-morning-cemetery-visits   This is now called national on front page of the Drudge Report and all over twitter. 

That’s so weird. 

She needs to resign. This is distracting now at a time when it's costing the city valuable leadership on many high profile issues. And I'm someone who knows David Briley, and I'm not impressed in the least. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

***Mayor Barry

I'm biased. I campaigned for her, and 2 of my best friends worked on the campaign while I've a few friends who currently work at her office.

Being said, and my opinions to myself politically, I think that as is, her legacy would be like a wind-up car or one of those metallic balloons where they both were riding so high for a moment before fading way down. Like @Pdt2f said: transit, either way. Additionally, she seems to have left more of a civic mark than I remember Karl doing.* With transit, affordable housing and smart streets have been 2 things to stick to her name. 

*in fairness, I wasn't politically active or paid attention during this time, except for the Amp.

Edited by xtianpoop
Added thoughts after correcting spelling

Isn’t affordable housing something that every Nashville mayor strives to improve? I’m not trolling here, I’m just curious as to what she’s done that previous mayor’s have not. 

Forgive my ignorance, what are smart streets? 

9 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

What's Bill Boner's legacy?

Fair point! To the question: I think it would be great to see Nashville bettering its transit system. To the Mayor Berry question, the image that may linger: her "Nashville Values" that enabled her to bang another woman's husband behind her own husband's back (and possibly sabotaging transit improvements in the process). Now this ...

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/02/22/megan-barry-affair-nude-cell-phone-photos-deleted-chats-may-show-evidence-crime-mayor-megan-barry/360898002/

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

Forgive my ignorance, what are smart streets? 

Assuming smart streets = complete streets, they are streets that provide appropriate accommodation of multiple manners of travel including, vehicles, pedestrians, bicyclists and others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1