Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spatula

3-16-2017 Construction Fire Downtown

30 posts in this topic

I'm sure there will be an investigation. Then the lawsuits will start. All owners of adjacent properties (and their insurance companies) will be looking for any indication of negligence on the part of the Metropolitan developer, the prime contractor, and the subs. 

My estranged wife (and routinely my two young children) live on the 3rd floor of the Glen Royall Mills building out in Wake Forest. This incident has been an eye-opener that hit home about the reality of the dangers of having upwards of fifty to a hundred kitchens jammed into these wood framed or structured buildings. I have to admit I've been plagued with anxiety every second my kids have been over there since.

14 hours ago, NikOnder said:

My estranged wife (and routinely my two young children) live on the 3rd floor of the Glen Royall Mills building out in Wake Forest. This incident has been an eye-opener that hit home about the reality of the dangers of having upwards of fifty to a hundred kitchens jammed into these wood framed or structured buildings. I have to admit I've been plagued with anxiety every second my kids have been over there since.

I am from Wake Forest (essentially) and have been in Royal Mill and also used to live in a different cotton mill (Caraleigh). While certainly full of possible disaster scenarios, those old mills have A) structural brick construction and B) extremely dense, virgin timber hardwood (or possibly long leaf pine which is burn resistant as a species trait) and hence, slower burning, floor and roof joists. None of this yellow pine matchstick stuff. I think, say, a row of townhouses is much less safe (one on Capital Blvd burned down a few years ago). In the case of a mill, an interior wall could get going, but it'd not spread at the rate it would in a modern building and there'd be substantially more time to get out. What was more annoying to us was every time somebody had too much to drink and burned a grilled cheese at 3am, the whole building had to be evacuated since it was all on one giant alarm system. 

1 person likes this

i'll never live in one of these mega wooden match boxes.  it's amazing how many of these things are out there and still going up.