3-16-2017 Construction Fire Downtown

Spatula

The N&O is reporting this morning that the construction firm , Clancy and They should have the current site completely demolished within 6 weeks. Construction of the exact same Metropolitan plans would most likely remain the same and could take up to 18 months to complete. It appears that the city has given the developer an extension to rebuild the project.

• 3 months later...

29 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Maybe it's just me, but i'm still a little uneasy that a cause for all of the damage was never determined and now the developers are being allowed to rebuild so quickly. It all seems very suspicious to me, but I guess in this case money does talk.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've noticed that there has been zero work done on this League of Municipalities building since the fire over a year ago. Do you think they are just waiting to sell the property? They own the half of the block opposite Metropolitian - it would be a good spot for a similar sized project. Anybody know anything about plans?

fPN41EZ.jpg?1

• Like 2

Well the Reynolds own the building and they are lawyers...

Usually this stuff is a fight over loss of use costs. It's a somewhat new building...like 2002 or so I wanna say. Given the lack of anyone being able to start any sizable towers right now, I wouldn't put my money on them looking at a big building there but you never know. I feel like I heard that the firm that started out rehabbing the Quorum went belly up or was otherwise off the job, so the insurance (or bond) company had to get another one in there...I think a City employee friend of mine told me that but my beer addled brain won't recall it for me...anyway, perhaps that's the case here too. 

Had a meeting with one of the NC League lobbyists like over a year ago and they were dithering at that point whether to fix up building or tear that whole half of block down and do a Kane-ish huge mixed use thing with their offices in there.  So I guess the dithering is continuing?  She did say that building was completely destroyed on the inside and would basically have to be rebuilt.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Story behind pay wall on "triangle Business Journal" about NC League building for sale.

ttps://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2018/05/22/vacant-fire-damaged-downtown-raleighbuildings-eyed.html

A fire that destroyed a downtown Raleigh apartment complex last year has officially ended the life of old buildings next door that were built and occupied by local government associations, but new development could soon rise from the ashes.

^^ Key paragraph from the above referenced article 

""The property currently has three buildings, the largest being just 32,551 square feet and three stories. Current zoning would allow up to 12 stories.   The organizations have said they want to see the property redeveloped, with 130,000 square feet set aside for their own offices and a conference center. But the development could be much larger and include a mix of uses. The organizations only stipulate that their new office space be branded as the North Carolina Local Government Center.""   CBRE commercial real estate firm is soliciting proposals for them.  

NC League of Municipalities, Local Govt Credit Union,  NC Asssoc. of County commissioners all involved. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^ Key paragraph from the above referenced article 

""The property currently has three buildings, the largest being just 32,551 square feet and three stories. Current zoning would allow up to 12 stories.   The organizations have said they want to see the property redeveloped, with 130,000 square feet set aside for their own offices and a conference center. But the development could be much larger and include a mix of uses. The organizations only stipulate that their new office space be branded as the North Carolina Local Government Center.""   CBRE commercial real estate firm is soliciting proposals for them.  

NC League of Municipalities, Local Govt Credit Union,  NC Asssoc. of County commissioners all involved. 

Similar to how the Quorum came to be. The 3 story David Reynolds building is fairly new (thinking like 2002 or so) and was a good building for its size. Also the League building has a pretty nice interior despite the 1970's pebble clad exterior. All are expendable though, as long as we're not talking more stick mega block apartments...though I think we'll see something Quorum quality. With insurance money in hand, and those organizations revenue streams ability to leverage financing, there is plenty of money to see this through on whatever schedule they need. 

7 hours ago, InitialD said:

Quorum is a good example, but for something on that scale really they need to raise the height limit from 12 to at least 20. We can have The Dillon II: Electric Boogaloo.

This site is about 2 acres were Quorum was about 1 acre. Even at 12 stories you can pack a lot more stuff on that footprint. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 9:36 PM, Jones_ said:

This site is about 2 acres were Quorum was about 1 acre. Even at 12 stories you can pack a lot more stuff on that footprint. 

But also only the slightest bit smaller than the Dillon block. EDIT: Also, since I work close by, I really hope for some commercial space, especially on Jones street. Neither Link nor Metropolitan have added any, and there's not any in Quorum.  Give us a bodega or something!

Edited by InitialD

On 5/25/2018 at 8:53 AM, InitialD said:

But also only the slightest bit smaller than the Dillon block. EDIT: Also, since I work close by, I really hope for some commercial space, especially on Jones street. Neither Link nor Metropolitan have added any, and there's not any in Quorum.  Give us a bodega or something!

Quorum actually does have commercial knock outs along Harrington St. whether the HOA.....effectively controlled by the office space owners...ever votes to allow a commercial tenant, is an open question. 

I walk by the metropolitan site a few times a week as part of my 'construction loop' around downtown. I could very well be imagining this, and the pre-fire structure didn't have much of the exterior finishes in place, but it looks like to me, the second round of this building has been further cheapified. It's looking more like Elan now and less like say, Edison or Link...which were a notch or two above industry minimum for the rental price points this will likely (definitely) be. Anyway, just a musing/observation. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 9:14 PM, Jones_ said:

I walk by the metropolitan site a few times a week as part of my 'construction loop' around downtown. I could very well be imagining this, and the pre-fire structure didn't have much of the exterior finishes in place, but it looks like to me, the second round of this building has been further cheapified. It's looking more like Elan now and less like say, Edison or Link...which were a notch or two above industry minimum for the rental price points this will likely (definitely) be. Anyway, just a musing/observation. 

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you that someone is building cheap schlock in Smokey Hollow!  And why on earth have they been allowed to keep Jones Street completely closed for so long?  

• 8 months later...

Interesting article about the prevalence of midrise apartments and fire hazards during construction. "Of the 13 U.S. blazes that resulted in damages of $20 million or more in 2017, according to the National Fire Protection Association, six were at wood-frame apartment buildings under construction."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-02-13/why-america-s-new-apartment-buildings-all-look-the-same?srnd=businessweek-v2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...