Woodland Mall to get $100 Million makeover

GVSUChris

In talking with someone very close to the project I learned that one local mall is getting very close to announcing a MAJOR overhaul, including the addition of a new anchor tenant not yet in the area and a new wing of stores, not to mention a huge update of the campus to make it more appealing to the region's higher end shoppers. I can't really say more than that because it does affect current configurations at the mall and employees. 

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

In talking with someone very close to the project I learned that one local mall is getting very close to announcing a MAJOR overhaul, including the addition of a new anchor tenant not yet in the area and a new wing of stores, not to mention a huge update of the campus to make it more appealing to the region's higher end shoppers. I can't really say more than that because it does affect current configurations at the mall and employees. 

How major is MAJOR? :D

30 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

When you say "local mall," do you mean one of the regional malls? (Woodland or Rivertown?). Rivertown is looking pretty dated already I've noticed. But there have been rumors about Woodland taking out the Sears store and tire center. 

I'd put my money on Woodland.  The Sears wing would be a logical bet.  Not only because the Sears wing embarrassingly resembles a dying mall.  But because that end of the property has more room to expand/ change ect.    Also the hint dropping of "new brands for higher end shoppers" sounds like Woodland.  Woodland may be the older mall,  but it's immediately adjacent to the east end of the metro area where the vast majority of the "higher end" shoppers live.  When Rivertown opened, it did so with a few higher end brands that were new to the area (i.e. Pottery Barn ect.)  Since that time those brands have migrated over to Woodland, with new ones like The North Face and Apple starting off there.   The PA REIT has been pretty aggressive with the re-imaging of Woodland since it was purchased from Taubman (one major remodel, one major addition).  Especially now with the success across the street at Centerpoint it would make a lot of sense that they would want to re-image again, to bring the property out of that 70s-80s sea of parking look.  Even more so when you consider that it has two archaic, dying anchors. 

I'd love to see most of those shabby out lot buildings disappear too. 

I've been hearing for a while that woodland would like to add on and bring new retailers. At one time, they were talking about Celebration Cinema but I think it'll be Sears. I also heard they'd replace a major anchor with smaller stores (at one time, a two story Crate and Barell was mentioned). I think Woodland need a reinvention, maybe replace one Department Store with 2-3 smaller spaces (but larger than your average mall store). 

Joe

4 hours ago, MJLO said:

I'd put my money on Woodland.  The Sears wing would be a logical bet.  Not only because the Sears wing embarrassingly resembles a dying mall.  But because that end of the property has more room to expand/ change ect.

Whenever I drive that area I blow through certain stop signs since they no longer serve any function. Will enjoy the day they're actually needed again.

I would be shocked if it wasn't Woodland and in particular Sears and/or JC Penny. Both of those retailers make the mall look junky and dated and both are many times away from malls these days. Somehow Macy's was able to stay fresh looking from the outside as the rest of the mall continued to renovate and update over the years. There was talk a while back about Lord and Taylor building where the theater/restaurants are now. I dont really see them coming here but possibly along with Nordstrom, Dillards, Carson's,  Von Maur. Dont see a Neiman Marcus or Saks plus they are in Sommerset. I hope they can bring a Cali Pizza Kitchen and/or Cheesecake factory with them! 

9 hours ago, GR8scott said:

I would be shocked if it wasn't Woodland and in particular Sears and/or JC Penny. Both of those retailers make the mall look junky and dated and both are many times away from malls these days. Somehow Macy's was able to stay fresh looking from the outside as the rest of the mall continued to renovate and update over the years. There was talk a while back about Lord and Taylor building where the theater/restaurants are now. I dont really see them coming here but possibly along with Nordstrom, Dillards, Carson's,  Von Maur. Dont see a Neiman Marcus or Saks plus they are in Sommerset. I hope they can bring a Cali Pizza Kitchen and/or Cheesecake factory with them! 

I think you may be on to something with your brand speculation. Specifically the possibility of Von Maur, CPK and/or Cheesecake Factory.   I don't think GR has the Income/population thresh hold to snag a Nordstrom.  Definitely not Nieman's.  The Lord and Taylor wing never materialized due to (then)Hudson's suing Taubman, citing a clause that they were to be the exclusive upscale anchor.  That was in the late 90's,  I don't know if the economic slowdown that happened shortly there after also played a part.  It would be interesting to see if that clause still is in effect, and would play a part in what brands come in. I would think that the mall owners should be allowed to attract some fresh blood after almost 50 years, but that's outside my realm of knowledge.

I actually wouldn't be shocked if it was Rivertown/Sears. Unlike Woodland, there's room for expansion there. Sears is routinely empty and that large lot to the north and east of it is nothing more than guaranteed parking close to an entrance while the rest sits empty 99% of the year. If the goal is to attract high end shoppers, it would also make sense for Rivertown. As it stands now, Woodland is the "high end" mall for the EGR/Forest Hills crowd while Grandville typically attracts the financially conservative Grandville/Jenison/Hudsonville Dutch crowd and the Wyoming/Holland Hispanic crowd. Also, like GRDadof3 said, it is in need of an update. It is quickly falling behind the areas that surround it, as I believe the owners have not done a good job of keeping it up. I mean, how difficult is it to replace bulbs in the decorative lightning near the entrance? Those neon bulbs are always out. 

Bring back the birdcage and fountains!IMG_2953.JPGIMG_2954.JPG 

Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Sears wing. Sears is pretty much going bankrupt and hasn't been the doing well for the past few decades. A sign of this is Rivertown, it was mainly built the way it is because a subsidiary of Sears that developed malls, Homart, was sold off to General Growth Properties (the developer of Rivertown). The original proposal by Homart for the mall was The location being near the corner of 44th and Ivanrest instead of being closer to Wilson.

Its a shame to see this happening, but that's the way the cookie crumbles...

Before:

IMG_2956.JPG

After:

IMG_2955.JPG

I actually think it would be interesting if they brought it all the way out toward 28th, they have plenty of room and it will catch the eye, I feel like Woodland sits so far back while Rivertown is the centerpiece of the whole area.

IMG_2958.PNG

It would also be cool if they did the whole walkable atmosphere such as the On The Border nearby and maybe a green space where that sea of parking lot is near 28th. 

The property that Sears takes up, if you include the tire and battery center, is huge. There's no need for a department store that big in this day and age, not when you have Costco and Meijer to compete with in this market.

Woodland Sears.jpg

I'm putting my money on Woodland. 

Sears Woodland Expansion.jpg

Or maybe they'll make it "open air" concept and keep the ring road. 

Sears Woodland Expansion Open Air.jpg

Whoever mentioned Von Maur's, I think they've made several attempts at making inroads here, at the Walker development and the 3 mile development. 

They're in expansion mode. And the name sounds Dutch so it will be embraced here. ;)

http://wqad.com/2012/05/23/davenport-based-von-maur-quietly-expanding-nationwide/

They'll just have to change the mall's name to Woodland Galleria. :rofl:

030411pg1vonmaur*750xx600-338-0-31.jpg

4 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The property that Sears takes up, if you include the tire and battery center, is huge. There's no need for a department store that big in this day and age, not when you have Costco and Meijer to compete with in this market.

Woodland Sears.jpg

I'm putting my money on Woodland. 

Sears Woodland Expansion.jpg

Or maybe they'll make it "open air" concept and keep the ring road. 

Sears Woodland Expansion Open Air.jpg

Whoever mentioned Von Maur's, I think they've made several attempts at making inroads here, at the Walker development and the 3 mile development. 

They're in expansion mode. And the name sounds Dutch so it will be embraced here. ;)

http://wqad.com/2012/05/23/davenport-based-von-maur-quietly-expanding-nationwide/

They'll just have to change the mall's name to Woodland Galleria. :rofl:

030411pg1vonmaur*750xx600-338-0-31.jpg

And...they own Dry Goods which opened in Woodland recently.  

Checking PREIT's (Woodland Mall's owner) page on the facility, looks like they have some big plans in store for the mall. While they denote these are "proposed" there are some decent retailers (including a Von Maur in place of Sears) on the proposed layout. Click on the "download Marketing PDF" to see the full plan.

https://www.preit.com/properties/mall-portfolio/woodland-mall/#additional-details

I'm sure its in process. I doubt they wouldn't put it on there if they weren't seriously in process. As we know Sears is tanking and GR doesn't need two. I'd guess they'll keep Rivertown open (for now) since its newer and unload Woodland. PREIT appears to be making Woodland the more upscale of the two malls in GR.

2 hours ago, walkermat said:

Checking PREIT's (Woodland Mall's owner) page on the facility, looks like they have some big plans in store for the mall. While they denote these are "proposed" there are some decent retailers (including a Von Maur in place of Sears) on the proposed layout. Click on the "download Marketing PDF" to see the full plan.

https://www.preit.com/properties/mall-portfolio/woodland-mall/#additional-details

I'm sure its in process. I doubt they wouldn't put it on there if they weren't seriously in process. As we know Sears is tanking and GR doesn't need two. I'd guess they'll keep Rivertown open (for now) since its newer and unload Woodland. PREIT appears to be making Woodland the more upscale of the two malls in GR.

Nice find walkermat! I see an Urban Outfitters and an expanded Apple store as well. That will make some people happy.

11 hours ago, walkermat said:

Bingo. Nice work. Since it is out there I don't feel bad talking about it haha. 

A couple of things I found interesting were that they have lured in Cooper's Hawk and Corner Bakery - both stores that if you've lived in the Chicago Metro you know are EVERYWHERE. Also - the Urban Outfitters is FAR from a done deal. With all of their sister brands at Breton it is a hard sell to go anywhere but there for them. There are also some added layers of certain stores considering locations downtown which the mall has never competed with before which I found extremely intersting and a good sign that at the very least majors stores are at least considering downtown as viable.  

51 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

Bingo. Nice work. Since it is out there I don't feel bad talking about it haha. 

A couple of things I found interesting were that they have lured in Cooper's Hawk and Corner Bakery - both stores that if you've lived in the Chicago Metro you know are EVERYWHERE. Also - the Urban Outfitters is FAR from a done deal. With all of their sister brands at Breton it is a hard sell to go anywhere but there for them. There are also some added layers of certain stores considering locations downtown which the mall has never competed with before which I found extremely intersting and a good sign that at the very least majors stores are at least considering downtown as viable.  

I wonder what the timeline is for this? 

I also just noticed that they show REI and Container Store in the outlots along 28th. So in essence Woodland is competing with downtown (Studio C) and Knapp's Crossing for high end tenants? It also looks like they're trying to lure Dick's sporting goods away from Waterfall Shoppes and Golf Galaxy from Centrepoint. They also show new stores/restaurants on the back side of Celebration Cinema. 

31717913022_b7000d9649_o.jpg

10 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

I was told April but I don't remember what April meant. I can't remember if that is when Sears would close, if that is when they would announce this all, etc. I'll see what I can learn later this week. 

Yeah, see what you can find out. Or I can reach out to them. 

Archived