Woodland Mall to get $100 Million makeover

GVSUChris

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/03/woodland_malls_owner_to_spend.html#incart_river_home

Wow that sounds like a pretty substantial project. Like you could almost build a whole new mall with $100million.  It will be interesting to see what new restaurants might enter the market into the updated area.  They are even going to fix the cratered out parking lot.  With this happening and the make over at Centerpoint, That aging retail corridor is pretty much being entirely refreshed.  

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Celebration Cinema will consider turning Woodland back into a first run theater. Seems like it is an awfully expensive spot for second run movies. It also seems like they overbuilt move theaters for a while but the population might have caught up. I like Woodland (and have always liked the Cinemark style theaters) but they have to be pulled my hansomely for that space. 

Joe

22 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I wonder if Celebration Cinema will consider turning Woodland back into a first run theater. Seems like it is an awfully expensive spot for second run movies. It also seems like they overbuilt move theaters for a while but the population might have caught up. I like Woodland (and have always liked the Cinemark style theaters) but they have to be pulled my hansomely for that space. 

Joe

If at the very least, do some updating. Its a nice theater (the auditoriums are pretty small though) but its starting to show its age. The worn looking seats, and the horribly water stained ceiling in the lobby make me wonder if Celebration is not putting as much money into the maintenance given its second-run/Indie status. Surprising, since their other facilities are pretty nice.

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Joe

It's astounding how big of a gap there is without any first run theaters on this side of town. There's nothing between Celebration North and Celebration South, and either one is quite a hike from the eastern side of Kentwood or Cascade. An Alamo Drafthouse-type concept would work well with what Woodland is trying to achieve.

28 minutes ago, temporary.name said:

I can't but think about how hard retail stores have been hit the past couple of years. Amazon and other online distributors have been slaughtering their brick and mortar counterparts. This redeveloping is a gigantic doubling down on malls. 

Yes Brick and Mortar is under threat, but they are nowhere near in threat of being vanquished anytime soon.  Aside from that a lot of the brands that are "struggling because of online competition", are mostly outdated brands that peaked in the 1980's and 90's.  We aren't at the point where the shopping mall, or shopping district is on the verge of being obsolete.  Certainly not in a way that would make sense for property owners to just let things go downhill.  I think it makes a ton of sense to reinvest, I don't really see it so much as a doubling down.

Even if the world ends up transitioning to an almost entirely online shopping experience, what is everyone going to do?  Just shop online and then sit at home and do nothing else?  Will the streetscape be nothing but coffee shops and breweries?

4 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

This is interesting, in their list of targeted tenants for the expansion, they have Tesla on there. Wonder if they're going to do a full-court press on the legislature to allow a Tesla dealership (finally) in Michigan. 

Woodland Mall Prospective Tenants.JPG

Is this Woodland or the development at Knapp and East Beltline?

6 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

That's Woodland, in a marketing piece. It's labeled "Prospective Best In Class Tenants."  

I'd be lying if I said the idea of Tesla being in town didn't make me giddy. I'm a big fan of the brand, owner, and what they stand for. Hopefully they do make a big push and make it happen. Knowing the crony capitalists that populate Lansing though...I doubt it will happen. 

39 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

I'd be lying if I said the idea of Tesla being in town didn't make me giddy. I'm a big fan of the brand, owner, and what they stand for. Hopefully they do make a big push and make it happen. Knowing the crony capitalists that populate Lansing though...I doubt it will happen. 

That would be awesome

On March 7, 2017 at 7:34 PM, MJLO said:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/03/woodland_malls_owner_to_spend.html#incart_river_home

Wow that sounds like a pretty substantial project. Like you could almost build a whole new mall with $100million.  It will be interesting to see what new restaurants might enter the market into the updated area.  They are even going to fix the cratered out parking lot.  With this happening and the make over at Centerpoint, That aging retail corridor is pretty much being entirely refreshed.  

After this, the last real weak link will be the JCPenney building. That is hideous and makes the mall look dated. It would be nice to see them driven out too and replaced by another more upscale brand like Dillard's, Nordstrom, perhaps lord and Taylor? 

2 hours ago, GR8scott said:

After this, the last real weak link will be the JCPenney building. That is hideous and makes the mall look dated. It would be nice to see them driven out too and replaced by another more upscale brand like Dillard's, Nordstrom, perhaps lord and Taylor? 

The article did say that the anchors would get new facades. Macy's has seen better days as well. Their building is falling apart. 

4 hours ago, temporary.name said:

Those apartments are old and should be torn down and replaced.

I've read that suburban apartments are semi-difficult to get past planning and neighbors object, so reinvesting in existing apartments is a much easier route for developers in many cases. Maybe both apartment complexes will get much needed makeovers. Both are in pretty ideal locations. 

Joe

2 hours ago, GR8scott said:

Macy's... tick tick tick

9 hours ago, wingbert said:

an IKEA.

I think an IKEA would do really well here.  It's surprising how few locations they have in the U.S.  Even in Chicagoland and NYC Metro there are only two each.  I know plenty of people that drive to their Canton store regularly.  It looks like Columbus is getting one, but they're quite a bit larger than Metro GR.

1 hour ago, temporary.name said:

I live in Columbus now. The IKEA opening this summer is going to murder traffic on 270 and 70. Pray for us.

I was thinking it would be a horrible location for IKEA because of traffic. They like to be located right off the expressway. I think it would be really bad for the area (not that it's going to happen anyways). 

Joe

13 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I was thinking it would be a horrible location for IKEA because of traffic. They like to be located right off the expressway. I think it would be really bad for the area (not that it's going to happen anyways). 

Joe

Exactly. They would find a spot either in Byron Township off of 131 or somewhere in Ottawa County off of 196.  I think we need another million in the MSA before that ever happens though.

17 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Joe

Not only are they usually adjacent to expressways, they are stand alone and if they would consider a mall location, woodland is small. I don't think ikea would entertain this idea at all

Archived