Woodland Mall to get $100 Million makeover

GVSUChris

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to JCPenney - they've just announced their 100+ closures for 2017. In Michigan, they are Holland, Battle Creek, Midland, and every remaining JCPenney in the Upper Peninsula. Generally there's one round of closures in the spring, and that's it for the year... so we can say that both Grand Rapids locations are safe for at least another year.

(Also, there isn't a round of closures every year, and usually it's a smaller group than this. I think the most recent to close in Michigan was Marquette in 2014.)

10 hours ago, x99 said:

I will never understand the fuss about Ikea.  It's like Swedish Walmart.

Agreed. If you can't even afford Art Van Furniture in this job market, you need to reassess what you're doing. IKEA is junk that you'll need to replace in 3 years. 

Like Whole Foods, it's a scam of a brand, being perpetrated on people who are too "smart" to know that they're being had. 

I disagree. IKEA is a pretty impressive operation with some good designers and very interesting processes of how to design with minimal waste. Sure, it's knock down furniture, but some people redecorate more than once a decade and it's a place to get some pretty cool stuff at really good prices. I Don't really see why people are hating on it? If nothing else, visit once, enjoy the chaos, and watch how artfully they direct people through the store to maximize buying potential  

I've never stepped into a Cabelas, but that doesn't mean I hate Cabelas. However, I've stepped into Art Van, and I hate Art Van. :)

Joe

14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Agreed. If you can't even afford Art Van Furniture in this job market, you need to reassess what you're doing. IKEA is junk that you'll need to replace in 3 years. 

Like Whole Foods, it's a scam of a brand, being perpetrated on people who are too "smart" to know that they're being had. 

I still have all the IKEA furniture I bought when I first visited in 2007.  They've survived 4 moves (2 cross-country), our cats, and "The Great Pipe Bursting Incident" of 2014.  I've found their design to be very pragmatic; I probably wouldn't fill every room in my home with it, but what I do have fits the space it's in just fine.  I'll concede there are some areas of my life I need to reassess, but furniture is not one of them.

22 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I disagree. IKEA is a pretty impressive operation with some good designers and very interesting processes of how to design with minimal waste. Sure, it's knock down furniture, but some people redecorate more than once a decade and it's a place to get some pretty cool stuff at really good prices. I Don't really see why people are hating on it? If nothing else, visit once, enjoy the chaos, and watch how artfully they direct people through the store to maximize buying potential  

I've never stepped into a Cabelas, but that doesn't mean I hate Cabelas. However, I've stepped into Art Van, and I hate Art Van. :)

Joe

I don't really have any hate for Cabela's because no one in my family shops there or even thinks about it. Whereas people in my family like IKEA, and insist on getting crap furniture and other things there that don't hold up well, or way too complicated to assemble using poorly drawn illustrations, and that use lightbulbs that can only be purchased at IKEA. I think it's stupid. :) 

Any help to get them to stop buying this crap would be greatly appreciated.

On 12/25/2016 at 9:35 AM, GRDadof3 said:

The closeup of the Von Maur wing. I believe the current mall ends at the hallway at the top? Where the proposed Adidas is? 

31056004263_884996780d_o.jpg

Where is the map of the whole mall? Could u post it? I'm very curious to see the rest of the mall.

7 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

There are maps of woodland mall all over the internet. 

27 minutes ago, WMrapids said:

IMG_3739.PNG

I meant the map I quoted yesterday with the map showing all the stores in the von maur wing: urban, Sephora, Bose, kiehls. I was looking for that map but not zoomed in on the wing, I wanted to see that map of the whole mall.

7 hours ago, Artprize99 said:

I meant the map I quoted yesterday with the map showing all the stores in the von maur wing: urban, Sephora, Bose, kiehls. I was looking for that map but not zoomed in on the wing, I wanted to see that map of the whole mall.

PREIT removed it from their website, so it doesn't appear to be circulating anymore.

I took some screenshots back when it was discovered, but not of the whole mall. This is the only view I have that hasn't been posted yet in this thread:

woodland3.png

On 12/25/2016 at 9:35 AM, GRDadof3 said:

The closeup of the Von Maur wing. I believe the current mall ends at the hallway at the top? Where the proposed Adidas is? 

31056004263_884996780d_o.jpg

This is the map I wanted to see, did you have this map of the whole mall where it isn't zoomed in, so I can see all the stores in the whole mall and all the proposals??

14 hours ago, Artprize99 said:

This is the map I wanted to see, did you have this map of the whole mall where it isn't zoomed in, so I can see all the stores in the whole mall and all the proposals??

I snagged the images when this all came out and I don't think there ever was one of the whole mall. I don't think the other three wings are expected to change much, other than Apple. 

38 minutes ago, ArsEcclesiae said:

Does anyone know what is going to happen to the Toy Shelf (I think that is what it is called)? I love that little store and will be sad to see it go.

There is one in rivertown.

7 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I snagged the images when this all came out and I don't think there ever was one of the whole mall. I don't think the other three wings are expected to change much, other than Apple. 

Oh, but you said that like brrokstone and gap were suppose to leave ?

8 hours ago, Artprize99 said:

Oh, but you said that like brrokstone and gap were suppose to leave ?

I was the one who said that.

And luckily, I was wrong when I said earlier "this is the only view I have." I found the entire PDF in my Downloads folder. Obviously it was a work in progress, as there are several mistakes (Clarks and Hollister both shown in two locations) and Wet Seal and The Limited have both gone out of business since it was made. And remember, as far as we know, Von Maur and Apple are still the only done deals.

Here are the 2016 proposals for the 3 other wings, warts and all:

58d496a383eb2_macyswing.thumb.png.a2f3af1d4a07f0e5250c56512759795c.png

58d4969d42fb7_jcpwing.thumb.png.e0ca36e325f2e2e51b984f81c9b88b3c.png

58d49696772cb_bnwing.thumb.png.b1549d7df3521dc5268065e576752dde.png

On 12/26/2016 at 2:29 PM, getemngo said:

A few things I've noticed about the Woodland plan:

• Current tenants disappearing include Payless ShoeSource (which has another location at 28th & Radcliff), The Gap (which closed at RiverTown a year ago), Brookstone, Fred Meyer Jewelers, Made in Michigan, Campus Den, Sleeping Tiger Imports, and the sports memorabilia place and the toy shop by Sears. And a couple other mom-and-pop places I don't pay any attention. :P
  • Due to Sears' massive size, Woodland would actually lose square footage. Sears is 313,000, and all the proposed "expansions" add up to 220,000.
  • Is it weird to propose both Dick's and REI? Are they trying to get the Dick's in Cascade next to Target to move here? It seems like that store still has a ton of life left, but I guess it worked on Barnes & Noble.

This is pretty exciting to see Woodland try to differentiate itself from everything else in West Michigan rather than trying to become a second RiverTown, as well as preemptively making a plan for Sears' inevitable demise. I have a soft spot for this mall and have dreamed up similar expansions, but I'd figured PREIT would just sit and twiddle its thumbs as long as occupancy stayed above 95%. It's nice to be wrong!

Where did u see that gap and brooks tone we're leaving? Is they a map that shows them gone?

1 minute ago, Artprize99 said:

Where did u see that gap and brooks tone we're leaving? Is they a map that shows them gone?

See the post I made 1 minute before you! The Gap space is "Proposed Vans" and "Proposed Hollister relocation". Brookstone is "Proposed J. Jill relocation".

5 minutes ago, getemngo said:

See the post I made 1 minute before you! The Gap space is "Proposed Vans" and "Proposed Hollister relocation". Brookstone is "Proposed J. Jill relocation".

Ok thanks, but this map is odd cuz it shows they want to put wet seal back in here and they left the mall. Also they want Dead Sea and brookstone out which r usually in upscale malls, also many outdated stores r not shown to be remodeled. I think when they did this it was based on what stores were planning on eventually leaving and what stores were planning on remodels. I am very excited to see what ends up happening, especially with Apple currently happening. Also yes it is odd they r getting dicks cuz they have a really nice one down the street and a golf galaxy in center point and I usually only see this in a mall that lost a upscale anchor, I would think they'd wanna fill that space with a Nordstrom, lord and Taylor, Bloomingdales, Dillard's, 

Archived