Woodland Mall to get $100 Million makeover

GVSUChris

7 hours ago, Artprize99 said:

I would think they'd wanna fill that space with a Nordstrom, lord and Taylor, Bloomingdales, Dillard's, 

Dillard's is considered a Macy's equivalent by market standards.  It's more of a southern/western thing.  You don't really see them north of the Ohio.  Grand Rapids is a bit small to be noticed by Nordstrom or Bloomingdales. For now we are a Von Maur kind of town.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Artprize99 said:

Ok thanks, but this map is odd cuz it shows they want to put wet seal back in here and they left the mall. Also they want Dead Sea and brookstone out which r usually in upscale malls, also many outdated stores r not shown to be remodeled. I think when they did this it was based on what stores were planning on eventually leaving and what stores were planning on remodels. I am very excited to see what ends up happening, especially with Apple currently happening. Also yes it is odd they r getting dicks cuz they have a really nice one down the street and a golf galaxy in center point and I usually only see this in a mall that lost a upscale anchor, I would think they'd wanna fill that space with a Nordstrom, lord and Taylor, Bloomingdales, Dillard's, 

It's a nice Dicks but a terrible location. I go there a lot and it seems like I'm only one of 5 people there, in a very large store. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MJLO said:

Dillard's is considered a Macy's equivalent by market standards.  It's more of a southern/western thing.  You don't really see them north of the Ohio.  Grand Rapids is a bit small to be noticed by Nordstrom or Bloomingdales. For now we are a Von Maur kind of town.

Actually the population doesn't really have anything to do with it because Grand Rapids metro area is four times larger than a lot of cities that have Nordstrom and Bloomingdales and saks and Neiman Marcus. I've never heard of an upscale store not going to an area because of the population because of it were about population, then Grand Rapids metro is more than large enough to have every store that exists. Also Dillard's is in almost every state and yes is a lot like Macy's but slightly different brands. However von maur and lord and Taylor are a big step up from those two.

Edited by Artprize99

52 minutes ago, Artprize99 said:

Actually the population doesn't really have anything to do with it because Grand Rapids metro area is four times larger than a lot of cities that have Nordstrom and Bloomingdales and saks and Neiman Marcus. I've never heard of an upscale store not going to an area because of the population because of it were about population, then Grand Rapids metro is more than large enough to have every store that exists. Also Dillard's is in almost every state and yes is a lot like Macy's but slightly different brands. However von maur and lord and Taylor are a big step up from those two.

You may want to do a bit of homework of how retail brands decide to open up locations and what markets they go into.  The smallest market I know of a Nordstrom being in is Spokane WA, which is a little more than half the size of GR.  That has more to do with the fact that Nordstrom started in Seattle and spread regionally before nationally.  Outside of that I can't find a metro area of less than 1.8 million that has a full Nordstrom (for the sake of this argument the Rack doesn't count).  The same goes with the other brands you mentioned.  Below is a link from Dillard's website showing store locations.  You'll notice several states in the north left out. Hope this helps.

http://www.dillards.com/stores

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJLO said:

You may want to do a bit of homework of how retail brands decide to open up locations and what markets they go into.  The smallest market I know of a Nordstrom being in is Spokane WA, which is a little more than half the size of GR.  That has more to do with the fact that Nordstrom started in Seattle and spread regionally before nationally.  Outside of that I can't find a metro area of less than 1.8 million that has a full Nordstrom (for the sake of this argument the Rack doesn't count).  The same goes with the other brands you mentioned.  Below is a link from Dillard's website showing store locations.  You'll notice several states in the north left out. Hope this helps.

http://www.dillards.com/stores

dillards_map.png 

those are the states that have Dillard's from their website, most have them, and r in very similar places and have similar number of locations to Macy's, also there is a Nordstrom and a saks in Naples Florida which has a metro pop of about 300,000, also Sarasota Florida has a saks which the metro there is about 700,000, also Grand Rapids metro is over 1.5 million right now and expanding a lot and that metro doesn't include all of Holland or Muskegon areas, doesn't include Kalamazoo or a lot of other surrounding cities. There is also a saks in Greenwich Connecticut which is a small town of 61,000 and part of a metro with about 900,000, I could find many more examples, but this is what I meant when I said that. All of my example had metros under 1m whereas Grand Rapids is approaching 2m. 

1 hour ago, Artprize99 said:

dillards_map.png 

those are the states that have Dillard's from their website, most have them, and r in very similar places and have similar number of locations to Macy's, also there is a Nordstrom and a saks in Naples Florida which has a metro pop of about 300,000, also Sarasota Florida has a saks which the metro there is about 700,000, also Grand Rapids metro is over 1.5 million right now and expanding a lot and that metro doesn't include all of Holland or Muskegon areas, doesn't include Kalamazoo or a lot of other surrounding cities. There is also a saks in Greenwich Connecticut which is a small town of 61,000 and part of a metro with about 900,000, I could find many more examples, but this is what I meant when I said that. All of my example had metros under 1m whereas Grand Rapids is approaching 2m. 

Grand Rapids is not approaching 2 million. It's about half that. I need to ask you how old you are now to make sure you qualify to post on this site. <_< :rofl:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Grand Rapids is not approaching 2 million. It's about half that. I need to ask you how old you are now to make sure you qualify to post on this site. <_< :rofl:

It's a lot larger than the areas I listed, and I could find more examples. Also it's one of the fastest growing in the country, fastest in Michigan. 

31 minutes ago, Artprize99 said:

It's a lot larger than the areas I listed, and I could find more examples. Also it's one of the fastest growing in the country, fastest in Michigan. 

It's not one of the fastest growing in the country. Yes, I'd agree in Michigan. 

Do you agree or not agree that it has 2 million people? 

Considering how you were bossing people around to provide you with a map of woodland mall, think very long and carefully as to how you respond to this post. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure if this is worth it....

Greenwich, CT is essentially a suburb of NYC and its median family income is nearly three times greater then GR. Sarasota is Tampa Bay metro. Those are not equal comparisons. 

Naples is double, and while population in the metro Fort Meyers (Naples) is much less then GR I'd still argue that with its heavy tourism industry its still not an equal comparison to GR. 

If GR was 30-45 miles away from Chicago, we'd be in a different echelon when it comes to retail. Since we're a moderately sized city about three hours away from Detroit and Chicago with modest income base we are not a retail mecca.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Depends on which statistics you are using. Metro area, slightly over half, about 1.1 million. Combined Statistical Area (GR-MKG-HOLLAND) just over 1.4 million. Media Market, getting closer to 1.8 million. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

Depends on which statistics you are using. Metro area, slightly over half, about 1.1 million. Combined Statistical Area (GR-MKG-HOLLAND) just over 1.4 million. Media Market, getting closer to 1.8 million. 

The DMA includes Kzoo and Battle Creek areas, which wouldn't be heavily weighted into the GR retail market though.  They are a bit outside the market radius.

14 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

The reason is because GR doesn't have a tunnel under the airport.  If only we could manage that, big stores like Nordstrom would be impressed enough to come here.

How does this relate to the topic at all? This has nothing to do with the airport...

Edited by Artprize99

8 hours ago, MJLO said:

The DMA includes Kzoo and Battle Creek areas, which wouldn't be heavily weighted into the GR retail market though.  They are a bit outside the market radius.

That is true, they may be counted for places like Cabela's or other specialty stores people are willing to travel for, but not department stores.

On March 25, 2017 at 8:32 AM, RegalTDP said:

The reason is because GR doesn't have a tunnel under the airport.  If only we could manage that, big stores like Nordstrom would be impressed enough to come here.

Couldn't hurt the odds! In all seriousness that's just a small example of small town planning, that and the fact we are "off the beaten path" as far as retail goes probably bith reasons why there's a lack of national brands. At least there's been an upswing in bringing new options to the area lately. It's like someone finally figure out there's a million people in the area and some of them have money to spend and there's pent up demand for new restraints no stores! 

On 3/25/2017 at 7:11 AM, MJLO said:

The DMA here is ridiculous.  Plop TV towers equidistant to all to assure everyone gets poor reception?  Heck, even my 6' antenna struggles to pull OTA signals.   

That's a bummer. Cool features and the expanded footprint will be nice when it's packed but the two stories would have been cool.

7 hours ago, WMrapids said:

Didn't turn out to be two stories. Kinda bleh, but it's bigger.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/04/apple_opens_1st_new_design_sto.html

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2017 at 9:47 AM, GRLaker said:

Nope. No tear down as recent as Saturday night. At least not from the angle that I saw it near the theater. 

Is it actually being torn down, or are they just remodeling and repurposing it as new stores and part of the mall?  That would make a lot more sense.