Woodland Mall to get $100 Million makeover

GVSUChris

1 hour ago, x99 said:

Is it actually being torn down, or are they just remodeling and repurposing it as new stores and part of the mall?  That would make a lot more sense.

Seriously? You haven't seen the plans for the new addition? Where Sears is now is actually going to be an entire wing of new stores. 

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Seriously? You haven't seen the plans for the new addition? Where Sears is now is actually going to be an entire wing of new stores. 

Perhaps there's an HPC that would like to review the historical value of the Sears store architecture first?

sears-at-woodland-mall-2.jpg?w=650

17 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I saw the plans, but I just figured they were going to leave the building basically intact, reskin it, and repurpose most of the existing infrastructure much like they did with Centerpointe.  The footprint is not changing that much, so it doesn't make sense to me that they would rip the whole old Sears wing down.  That's a terrible use of resources.  Sometimes I wish demolition equipment did not exist.  It often makes pointless waste far too easy.  I take it this won't be a LEED project... :P

Presumably, they want to tear down Sears because it's two stories and the mall interior is one story. Turning it into a mezzanine level probably wouldn't make sense as you'd get no foot traffic upstairs. I think even Von Maur will be one story.

(I personally love the arches on Sears' exterior and the 1960s-ness of the building, but I can live with it gone for a better purposed space.)

On 5/5/2017 at 8:17 PM, getemngo said:

Presumably, they want to tear down Sears because it's two stories and the mall interior is one story. Turning it into a mezzanine level probably wouldn't make sense as you'd get no foot traffic upstairs. I think even Von Maur will be one story.

(I personally love the arches on Sears' exterior and the 1960s-ness of the building, but I can live with it gone for a better purposed space.)

I suppose.  I don't know why they wouldn't just put an antique mall on the second floor...  Think how much old junk you could cram up there!  

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:58 AM, x99 said:

I saw the plans, but I just figured they were going to leave the building basically intact, reskin it, and repurpose most of the existing infrastructure much like they did with Centerpointe.  The footprint is not changing that much, so it doesn't make sense to me that they would rip the whole old Sears wing down.  That's a terrible use of resources.  Sometimes I wish demolition equipment did not exist.  It often makes pointless waste far too easy.  I take it this won't be a LEED project... :P

I'd imagine they'll tear the entire building down. I don't think it carries THAT much, if any historical value. Plus, Von Maur stores all have a standard design and look (the ones I've seen anyway) and I would think renovating the building to that design in addition to any necessary remediation (asbestos, etc.) would be much more costly then just knocking down and rebuilding. I think we can all agree Sears stores weren't cosmetically maintained that well, so I doubt they spent much on the actual physical building either. I hate to see buildings demolished too, but if it makes more sense to start over financially... I support it.

Also, all Von Maur stores are two-stories, I don't see why Woodland would be any different.

Anyone know when they plan on starting the parking lot work? I was there the other week and couldn't get over how bad it was. MAJOR potholes.

I'm also curious to see what the renovation plans are for the facades of Macy's and JCPenney. Macy's really just needs a good power wash and paint job but JC Penney is so ugly and dated I can't imagine a coat of paint would make it any better.

1 hour ago, walkermat said:

I'd imagine they'll tear the entire building down. I don't think it carries THAT much, if any historical value. Plus, Von Maur stores all have a standard design and look (the ones I've seen anyway) and I would think renovating the building to that design in addition to any necessary remediation (asbestos, etc.) would be much more costly then just knocking down and rebuilding. I think we can all agree Sears stores weren't cosmetically maintained that well, so I doubt they spent much on the actual physical building either. I hate to see buildings demolished too, but if it makes more sense to start over financially... I support it.

Also, all Von Maur stores are two-stories, I don't see why Woodland would be any different.

Anyone know when they plan on starting the parking lot work? I was there the other week and couldn't get over how bad it was. MAJOR potholes.

I'm also curious to see what the renovation plans are for the facades of Macy's and JCPenney. Macy's really just needs a good power wash and paint job but JC Penney is so ugly and dated I can't imagine a coat of paint would make it any better.

You mean the canyons? Word is tourists are starting to flock to Woodland to take pictures of our continent's newest natural attraction.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
20 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

It's actually quite jarring.

That place has been a part of some of our lives for decades. My dad got keys made for 3 separate houses, and numerous cars there, bought two swing sets, 3 family portraits, school clothes, Christmas presents... and just like that, there it goes.

At least it's being replaced with something. There's this large hulking heap of a suburban mall in Toledo that I pass every time we go to Cedar Point. They've just slowly been tearing it down for the last DECADE I swear.  Creepiest thing ever.

I also noticed on the banner they have an image of the new Von Maur which I had not seen yet. Can't find anything online though...

I did also find that mall owner PREIT has a construction cam showing on their linkedin page, but I can't find that either. :) Not sure if it's Clark Construction's? 

64e1e99e-e886-4902-bb4d-0d269185c6ae-lar

So, have we figured out what is actually happening here yet?  So far those pictures show just the facade coming down.  Are they actually going to pull down the entire structure as well?  That always seemed like an odd move to me versus simply clearing out what is already there and reusing the building, but it will be interest to see what happens as this progresses.

53 minutes ago, x99 said:

So, have we figured out what is actually happening here yet?  So far those pictures show just the facade coming down.  Are they actually going to pull down the entire structure as well?  That always seemed like an odd move to me versus simply clearing out what is already there and reusing the building, but it will be interest to see what happens as this progresses.

If you look at the construction cam picture above ^^^^ in my last post, at least half the building is gone already, the back half.  Here's what it used to look like. 

59b6c458cc13c_Searsbefore.thumb.JPG.b25deb3c3edc5b7fd46f03cc315158f0.JPG

and now:

64e1e99e-e886-4902-bb4d-0d269185c6ae-lar

On 9/10/2017 at 11:06 AM, GR_Urbanist said:

It's actually quite jarring.

That place has been a part of some of our lives for decades. My dad got keys made for 3 separate houses, and numerous cars there, bought two swing sets, 3 family portraits, school clothes, Christmas presents... and just like that, there it goes.

I got lost in there when I was 4 or 5.  Still remember how traumatic  it was. :lol:  Back at that time my parents went there for practically everything. 

4 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

At least it's being replaced with something. There's this large hulking heap of a suburban mall in Toledo that I pass every time we go to Cedar Point. They've just slowly been tearing it down for the last DECADE I swear.  Creepiest thing ever.

Yes, there is one like that on 1-65 north of Indianapolis too.   They are all over the country.    Developers have been able to work North Kent and Eastbrook to make them over so there isn't that same issue in GR.  

49 minutes ago, x99 said:

It's my understanding that ALL of it's coming down, and they are starting from scratch.   Remember VonMaur  will only be something like 80k sf, and this was over 200k sf?   The rest rest of the new buildout will be mall square footage for new stores and restaurants. 

5 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

I got lost in there when I was 4 or 5.  Still remember how traumatic  it was. :lol:  Back at that time my parents went there for practically everything. 

Yes, there is one like that on 1-65 north of Indianapolis too.   They are all over the country.    Developers have been able to work North Kent and Eastbrook to make them over so there isn't that same issue in GR.  

It's my understanding that ALL of it's coming down, and they are starting from scratch.   Remember VonMaur  will only be something like 80k sf, and this was over 200k sf?   The rest rest of the new buildout will be mall square footage for new stores and restaurants. 

It is sort of fascinating, and I guess it can be attributed to the economy and population growth. Are there a really any areas left in the metro area that aren't either a) getting redeveloped or b) on the radar to be redeveloped? Even Rogers Plaza is being redeveloped. Plainfield Avenue is seeing a mini-boom again after dragging for a while. Division Avenue out near 52nd to 60th maybe? I haven't been out there in a long time. And the Grandville Castle will re-ignite growth on both Chicago Drive and that section of 28th. :)

Several times recently I've gone by commercial areas that had taken on a long-term decades-long funk, which all of a sudden have life in them again. Even that crappy stripmall on 28th Street by Art Van is almost full again, after being almost completely vacated not long ago. 

• 1 month later...

Archived