GVSUChris

Woodland Mall to get $100 Million makeover

53 minutes ago, x99 said:

So, have we figured out what is actually happening here yet?  So far those pictures show just the facade coming down.  Are they actually going to pull down the entire structure as well?  That always seemed like an odd move to me versus simply clearing out what is already there and reusing the building, but it will be interest to see what happens as this progresses.

If you look at the construction cam picture above ^^^^ in my last post, at least half the building is gone already, the back half.  Here's what it used to look like. 

59b6c458cc13c_Searsbefore.thumb.JPG.b25deb3c3edc5b7fd46f03cc315158f0.JPG

and now:

64e1e99e-e886-4902-bb4d-0d269185c6ae-lar

On 9/10/2017 at 11:06 AM, GR_Urbanist said:

It's actually quite jarring.

That place has been a part of some of our lives for decades. My dad got keys made for 3 separate houses, and numerous cars there, bought two swing sets, 3 family portraits, school clothes, Christmas presents... and just like that, there it goes.

I got lost in there when I was 4 or 5.  Still remember how traumatic  it was. :lol:  Back at that time my parents went there for practically everything. 

4 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

At least it's being replaced with something. There's this large hulking heap of a suburban mall in Toledo that I pass every time we go to Cedar Point. They've just slowly been tearing it down for the last DECADE I swear.  Creepiest thing ever.

Yes, there is one like that on 1-65 north of Indianapolis too.   They are all over the country.    Developers have been able to work North Kent and Eastbrook to make them over so there isn't that same issue in GR.  

49 minutes ago, x99 said:

So, have we figured out what is actually happening here yet?  So far those pictures show just the facade coming down.  Are they actually going to pull down the entire structure as well?  That always seemed like an odd move to me versus simply clearing out what is already there and reusing the building, but it will be interest to see what happens as this progresses.

It's my understanding that ALL of it's coming down, and they are starting from scratch.   Remember VonMaur  will only be something like 80k sf, and this was over 200k sf?   The rest rest of the new buildout will be mall square footage for new stores and restaurants. 

5 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

I got lost in there when I was 4 or 5.  Still remember how traumatic  it was. :lol:  Back at that time my parents went there for practically everything. 

Yes, there is one like that on 1-65 north of Indianapolis too.   They are all over the country.    Developers have been able to work North Kent and Eastbrook to make them over so there isn't that same issue in GR.  

It's my understanding that ALL of it's coming down, and they are starting from scratch.   Remember VonMaur  will only be something like 80k sf, and this was over 200k sf?   The rest rest of the new buildout will be mall square footage for new stores and restaurants. 

It is sort of fascinating, and I guess it can be attributed to the economy and population growth. Are there a really any areas left in the metro area that aren't either a) getting redeveloped or b) on the radar to be redeveloped? Even Rogers Plaza is being redeveloped. Plainfield Avenue is seeing a mini-boom again after dragging for a while. Division Avenue out near 52nd to 60th maybe? I haven't been out there in a long time. And the Grandville Castle will re-ignite growth on both Chicago Drive and that section of 28th. :)

Several times recently I've gone by commercial areas that had taken on a long-term decades-long funk, which all of a sudden have life in them again. Even that crappy stripmall on 28th Street by Art Van is almost full again, after being almost completely vacated not long ago. 

Sears: she gone (just about). This is looking at the North side of the building, Macy's would be to your left across the parking lot. 

59e4d19300fa6_WoodlandSearsDemolition10-16-17.thumb.jpg.0838ebd67d9db9e718cded305439a87d.jpg