Woodland Mall to get $100 Million makeover

GVSUChris

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, jdkacz said:

Looks like Gap is closing April 4.  I have heard a rumor that they were moving out to the Beltline, but not sure that would be that productive of a move unless they got a sweet lease deal. 

It does seem like an odd move, considering all that's happening at Woodland, and the fact that the mall should become an even bigger draw in the years ahead.   I worked at that store in college, and the old one prior to the expansion.  At one point that location was one of the highest grossing stores in Michigan. 

I'm not too surprised that The Gap is closing, considering it wasn't in the leaked floorplan: 

On 12/26/2016 at 2:29 PM, getemngo said:

A few things I've noticed about the Woodland plan:

• Current tenants disappearing include Payless ShoeSource (which has another location at 28th & Radcliff), The Gap (which closed at RiverTown a year ago), Brookstone, Fred Meyer Jewelers, Made in Michigan, Campus Den, Sleeping Tiger Imports, and the sports memorabilia place and the toy shop by Sears. And a couple other mom-and-pop places I don't pay any attention. :P

Some of these have come true and others haven't. The Toy Shelf closed and Legends Sports  & Games moved to Centerpoint, both last month, and Fred Meyer Jewelers is also gone. But Brookstone moved to a new (albeit smaller) space, and most of the others don't show any sign of leaving yet.

But yeah, I'm not sure how well The Gap is doing overall either. They closed a lot of locations back when the one at RiverTown closed. This spring's closures will leave Kalamazoo (Crossroads) and Lansing (Eastwood Town Center) as the only non-outlet locations in Michigan outside of metro Detroit.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

REI is coming to Grand Rapids.

https://mibiz.com/item/26007-outdoor-retailer-rei-plans-grand-rapids-store

Remember when this was the goal of the Knapp's Corner development? It's amazing to me that Woodland is able to beat them out for every high-end retailer so far.

Sorry, I thought this was old news so I didn't say anything about it. (no color renderings that I could find)

image.thumb.png.ffcc5acec01ffe6fb3c16b5f03dd1f99.png

It'll be located where the Sears auto shop used to be right off of 28th street.

image.thumb.png.5e66c47335a790742d86590f194a4e10.png

42 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I’m not overly surprised. Critical mass is important, and Woodland has it. Plus the owners own a lot of other properties/have relationships with these companies. 

I don’t know if I’ll be a big consumer of REI, but glad to see them coming to town!

Joe

I will likely join their Co-Op and stop by to check things out from time to time.    More likely, I might now buy stuff online from REI with the knowledge that returning it to a physical store will be easier.

My wife is probably thankful it isn't at Knapp's corner since that would have been on the way home every night.

11 minutes ago, Sparty97 said:

I will likely join their Co-Op and stop by to check things out from time to time.    More likely, I might now buy stuff online from REI with the knowledge that returning it to a physical store will be easier.

My wife is probably thankful it isn't at Knapp's corner since that would have been on the way home every night.

I haven't been a big REI customer since I left Milwaukee, so things may have changed (especially in the age of Prime), but it used to be you got free shipping on all online orders if you picked up in store.  Very excited to see them finally come to GR

I've been waiting for this day since moving to GR 10 years ago. REI is a fantastic company. I'm a little bummed they chose to locate out there (I was hoping for an urban store like Denver, albeit, not a flagship store), but an REI is an REI!

I'm thinking this is the start of a lot of "firsts in the area" announcements for the new Woodland wing. Name a store that you probably never thought would come here, it will probably come since they have the demographics and the space. Whole Foods? Urban Outfitters? 

13 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm thinking this is the start of a lot of "firsts in the area" announcements for the new Woodland wing. Name a store that you probably never thought would come here, it will probably come since they have the demographics and the space. Whole Foods? Urban Outfitters? 

Crate and Barrel

Some brands I'd love to see come to town:

Whole Foods (Downtown)

Cheesecake Factory (Woodland or Knapp)

Crate and Barrel (Knapp)

Ikea (Byron Center)

Tesla (Woodland)

Nordstrom (Grandville)

Patagonia (Breton Village)

Amazon Go (Downtown)

11 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Yep, and a Container Store. I'm really surprised we don't have one yet. 

I've lost my PDF of the leaked Woodland plan, but I believe The Container Store (along with REI) was listed as a potential tenant that PREIT wanted to pursue for the Sears auto center area - they wanted to build a building with 2 or 3 tenants where REI is planned.

9 hours ago, GRLaker said:

Tesla (Woodland)

Unfortunately, Tesla won't be coming anytime soon due to State law. Heck, they setup a popup shop down at the JW last summer and they had to be very careful even talking about price. They deferred a lot of questions to either getting on line or giving business cards of salespeople out of State. I bet they would build a Tesla store in GR if it weren't for our laws. I went to the Tesla store in Oakbrook. It's a pretty cool experience / way to shop for a vehicle.

Joe

11 hours ago, getemngo said:

I've lost my PDF of the leaked Woodland plan, but I believe The Container Store (along with REI) was listed as a potential tenant that PREIT wanted to pursue for the Sears auto center area - they wanted to build a building with 2 or 3 tenants where REI is planned.

The REI building will be a single tenant building based on the drawings I've seen.

woodland3.png.3b56eb32635264a7cb9b41b349

Zoomed in on this from a few pages back and would be exciting if all these new to the area restaurants came through. I see 

coopers hawk

Yardhouse

j alexanders

kona grill

mission bbq

shake shack

and mention of California pizza kitchen and freebird world borritos....only thing missing is a cheesecake factory

Archived