capital blvd (Northern Gateway)

What are they doing on Capital blvd south bound lanes just outside of downtown? I know they are building a new over pass...but why did they clear all those trees near that huge barn and the Raleigh vehicle storage place? Please tell me because there will be a new development down there? I love the view of glenwood south now that they cleared the trees.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

here is a video of the upcoming Raleigh Iron Works and it looks great.  Huge floorplates which I think will be more popular now for distancing and keeping people on one floor.

Love it!

Raleigh needs more creative, cool developments like this. Not all companies and workers are interested in occupying workspaces in urban skyscrapers and many would prefer office space like this.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Raleigh Iron Works is starting construction and this is a huge project for Raleigh.  it will help attract tech and creative type businesses.   This type of office space is gaining popularity right now and if their partner Jamestown is first class.  Ponce City Market has some of the highest office rents when it open and now has led to all kinds of neighboring development. 

Construction begins on $150M Raleigh Iron Works project | WRAL TechWire

Here is their website

Raleigh Iron Works

there is a project like this in Charlotte now called Camp North End is really attracting blue chip companies both large and small and lots of good food options. 

I do think that we need even more developments like this. As nice as North Hills and Midtown Xchange developments are, tech and creative types prefer more earthy, less corporate style spaces. Since Raleigh is a major players in those areas, more of those kinds of spaces need to be available.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

I do think that we need even more developments like this. As nice as North Hills and Midtown Xchange developments are, tech and creative types prefer more earthy, less corporate style spaces. Since Raleigh is a major players in those areas, more of those kinds of spaces need to be available.

I agree this is going to be a home run.  Raleigh unlike Durham, Charlotte, Winston, Gboro never had a lot of old industrial buildings as your city was never a factory town like the others in the state.  Durham has attracted lots of business to their downtown in places like American Tobacco Campus, Brightleaf, Venable etc because they had so many old industrial buildings to convert.  Dittos for Charlotte  and Greensboro with textile mills.  

Camp Northend in Charlotte in an area with NO other office space nearby has attracted quite a few tenants local tech upstarts, Ally Bank and even Centene which is building another huge office elsewhere in Charlotte.  

Someone local like First Citizens Bank could open their IT office there or some local tech company could open an outpost there.      I think this project is a home run for Raleigh and may even attract an out of market new tenant.  Hmm Gilead might like that space. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I agree this is going to be a home run.  Raleigh unlike Durham, Charlotte, Winston, Gboro never had a lot of old industrial buildings as your city was never a factory town like the others in the state.  Durham has attracted lots of business to their downtown in places like American Tobacco Campus, Brightleaf, Venable etc because they had so many old industrial buildings to convert.  Dittos for Charlotte  and Greensboro with textile mills.  

Camp Northend in Charlotte in an area with NO other office space nearby has attracted quite a few tenants local tech upstarts, Ally Bank and even Centene which is building another huge office elsewhere in Charlotte.  

Someone local like First Citizens Bank could open their IT office there or some local tech company could open an outpost there.      I think this project is a home run for Raleigh and may even attract an out of market new tenant.  Hmm Gilead might like that space

I think you're right. Most people would think that Gilead being a biotech would prefer an RTP location, but their newest NC location would support IT and Finance functions, from what I understand, which would fit nicely in a downtown development. I've seen this sort of thing in many other cities.

• Like 3

Agreed that this is an exciting project. Raleigh does not have as many historic buildings as many other cities and it is great that these two are getting updated and incorporated into such a quality development.

As @KJHburg said, Jamestown is first class. One of the best developers in the country. Ponce City Market is one of my favorite projects of the last decade, so I'm expecting the reality to live up to the renderings. I hope they keep the pedestrian bridge.

• Like 1

I remember riding through these buildings in a chartered CAT bus when I was in 5th grade. We saw them fitting I-bars of steel for a bridge in those controlled conditions before sending them into the wild. (the bus went on to Shearon Harris, which was still under construction - so much fun!)

I've always thought that this site would be a major redevelopment, which would spur a logical transit stop on the north spur of a rail system. I'm so excited that Jamestown is involved. I do hope they can continue with quality without going cookie cutter everywhere like Rouse did after the Inner Harbor.

Edited by dmccall
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...