LC SoBro, 7 stories/432 apts, 3rd Ave. South & Ash (Phase I), 7 stories 140 apts. (Phase II)

markhollin

I agree that it is very disheartening to lose those floors, as well as have the stucco, but it is all a numbers game. For this project and the number of materials they used, it makes sense they stay go with the 7 stories. The first phase of this project used cast in place concrete, steel and wood framing techniques. By going more stories, it is an added cost of additional steel prior to moving to wood (this may be impacted by the tariffs on steel as well). Another alternative would be to do more concrete, but that is more time for forming and curing and unfortunately, time is money.

Brick will be dramatically more expensive. I am working on a multi family project in florida (granted different region, but more the notion of masonry) right now and ALL the brick has been value engineered out of the project due to cost. There are alternatives, but it's very unfortunate what happened when cost and dollars get attributed to these items. To give an example, we had approximately 30,000 sf of brick on our job and switching to stucco would have saved approximately $565,000! That is a very big cost savings that an owner will jump on 9 times out of 10.

Edited by Bos2Nash
  • Like 3

I agree that it is very disheartening to lose those floors, as well as have the stucco, but it is all a numbers game. For this project and the number of materials they used, it makes sense they stay go with the 7 stories. The first phase of this project used cast in place concrete, steel and wood framing techniques. By going more stories, it is an added cost of additional steel prior to moving to wood (this may be impacted by the tariffs on steel as well). Another alternative would be to do more concrete, but that is more time for forming and curing and unfortunately, time is money.
Brick will be dramatically more expensive. I am working on a multi family project in florida (granted different region, but more the notion of masonry) right now and ALL the brick has been value engineered out of the project due to cost. There are alternatives, but it's very unfortunate what happened when cost and dollars get attributed to these items. To give an example, we had approximately 30,000 sf of brick on our job and switching to stucco would have saved approximately $565,000! That is a very big cost savings that an owner will jump on 9 times out of 10.

No issue with the scale. The color pallet on this project however is horrendous. They used every imaginable color of brown and stuck some stark white accents in randomly just to make it worse.

I really dislike the execution of the projects already in place. Additionally, the giant blank wall facing downtown is very disappointing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...