MLBrumby

Here's the full story which is currently behind the paywall at the Nashille Post:

Charleston, South Carolina-based development company The Beach Co. is eyeing a summer groundbreaking on a mixed-use building in SoBro and to be called Sixth South.

The company also has released the first image for the project, which will replace an Amerisite Sixth Avenue Storage facility on the site. The development will span what had been two properties: one located at 516 Sixth Ave. S. and home to the storage facility, and the other located at 512 Lea Avenue.

Monday’s announcement comes about two years after The Beach Co. closed on the $5.65 million acquisition of the two properties. Previously, it had targeted start on the project by 2015’s end.

Sixth South will be positioned between Peabody Street and Lea Avenue, less than two blocks south of the Music City Center convention facility. The image shows an L-shaped building with 297 apartment units , 5,000 square feet of commercial space and a parking garage. Amenities will include a clubroom, fitness center and rooftop pool. The architectural plan has been undertaken to maximize views of Nashville’s central business district and Gulch skylines.

The building is 10 stories at its tallest point.

The site span 1.25-acres. The parking lot on the right corner of Lea and Sixth (the northeast corner of the intersection) will not be part of the development.

Nashville-based Southeast Venture is the architect for the project.

Of note, the back portion of the north segment of Sixth South will be positioned across an alley from the back portion of the south segment of CF Real Estate Services’ Olmsted SoBro apartment building.

Relatedly, The Beach Co. will soon start work on Bells Bluff, a development to offer 402 unit apartment units located on the banks of the Cumberland River in West Nashville. 

In studying the rendering, there appear to be 1 story higher in the back section of the building. The entire L shaped complex seems to be built on a 3 story pedestal (primarily parking, but the 5,000 sq. ft. of commercial space is within it as well. The apartments in the cube that faces 6th Ave. South is then 8 stories on top of that (for a total of 11), and the larger, set back section (that also faces Lea Ave. on the south) is 9 stories on top, for a total of 12. Of course, we know that these renderings are often not the final word---but it's just worth noting. Whatever the case, there could be some magnificent views of downtown from rooftop on the NE corner of that back section.  I wonder if they'll have that set up for events?

Here is a screen shot of the location (in teal listed as the Beach Company Project) from Smeagolsfree's excellent Urban Planet Nashville Development Map:

South Sixth Beach Apts. map, Mar 2017.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

I like it, but what's with the missing chunk in the foreground?  Do they not own that piece of land or something?

The owner was not willing to sell. Another Joy Ford. So his property value will take a nose dive as it is not easily developed and border locked on all sides.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, NashvilleObserver said:

Good lord the Westin is so ugly...

It would be a nice looking building if they would have tinted the windows according to their rendering. If the windows were tinted it would make for a great scene along with the JW Marriott, Cambria, Curio, and Embassy Suites. The city gave them 16 million in public aid "to help bridge a gap in their financing" so they could finish building it. Maybe they decided to forgo the window tinting in order to finish within the budget.

Maybe they will eventually tint those windows. It may take 25 or 30 years though. That's if they do it at all.

Edited by Ingram

11 minutes ago, Ingram said:

It would be a nice looking building if they would have tinted the windows according to their rendering. If the windows were tinted it would make for a great scene along with the JW Marriott, Cambria, Curio, and Embassy Suites. The city gave them 16 million in public aid "to help bridge a gap in their financing" so they could finish building it. Maybe they decided to forgo the window tinting in order to finish within the budget.

Maybe they will eventually tint those windows. It may take 25 or 30 years though. That's if they do it at all.

On second thought any kind of dark tinting at all would be a vast improvement.

Hopefully once the area becomes much more competitive with all the hotels coming online in the area and the bad reviews because of the untinted windows start coming in they'll see the writing on the wall and change them. I wonder how much it would cost, though. 

• Like 1

I don't think most of the guests of the Westin (or ANY hotel) really care all that much about what the hotel looks like from the outside. As someone who stays in hotels A LOT, my only concern about windows is that they have proper light blocking curtains so that I don't wake up at the moment the sun rises. If the Westin has nicely designed rooms, good customer service, and they keep the property well maintained, the reviews will be positive. (That said, my experience with Westin Hotels has been mixed, but the exterior style of the hotel has never been an issue with me.)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I don't think most of the guests of the Westin (or ANY hotel) really care all that much about what the hotel looks like from the outside. As someone who stays in hotels A LOT, my only concern about windows is that they have proper light blocking curtains so that I don't wake up at the moment the sun rises. If the Westin has nicely designed rooms, good customer service, and they keep the property well maintained, the reviews will be positive. (That said, my experience with Westin Hotels has been mixed, but the exterior style of the hotel has never been an issue with me.)

They absolutely don't care. In most of the reviews of the Westin that I've seen, the customers say it's a beautiful building.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I don't doubt any of the Westin's guests care what the exterior looks like. And true, the inside is gorgeous. My opinion stems from being someone who has to drive by it every day and sees it from several angles. It's aesthetically discomforting.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The Beach Co. seemingly has put on hold a groundbreaking on its mixed-use building in SoBro and to be called Sixth South. Originally, The Beach Co. announced it was eyeing a summer 2017 start.

Ned Miller, the company’s development manager who will oversee the project, emailed the Post the following:

“The Beach Company is holding off on starting construction on Sixth South to give the market time to absorb the peak supply of new units and for the neighborhood to continue to develop. We don’t have a timeline, but the current supply is still absorbing rapidly, so we look forward to starting construction in the near future.”

More story at Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20990337/notes-whole-foods-tower-project-progresses