Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pcdoctor

Mt. Pleasant Meijer Remodeling Project

1 post in this topic

Hi folks.

I am wondering if there are any UPers here who regularly shop at the Meijer store in Mt. Pleasant, MI which is under remodeling.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By mtburb
      This may not be within the city of Detroit but it's only about 6-7 miles from the closest part of Detroit, plus obviously this is why I didn't post this in the Grand Rapids section...
      It's just been recently announced that the Southgate Meijer store will be renovated this year, along with a couple other Detroit-area locations. This will be just the second renovation in it's existence, which leads me to this short history of this particular store:
      Construction began in 1993 on the property of what had been a former drive-in theater and an adjoining four-screen indoor theater along the Fort Street S-Curve between Eureka and Pennsylvania Roads and in what was, at the time, a very run-down, rinky-dink part of Southgate. The store opened on August 30, 1994 with the exterior featuring various facade shapes (which that year helped introduce Meijer to Indiana residents), including a yellow pineapple-like structure and with the original layout of three restaurants serving two cafes (one of which was in the yellow pineapple structure), grocery aisles marked by red signs, gray carpet in the clothing section, a pharmacy at the back next to the grocery section, a photo lab next to the general merchandise entrance, a Michigan National Bank and a shoe repair place.
      The first renovation, which took place in 2005-06, changed the interior to confirm to standards set by newer Meijer stores by moving the pharmacy to the location of the photo lab and adding a drive-up window to it, moving the pet department to the former pharmacy location, hardwood floors replacing the gray carpet, the removal of the restaurants and the pineapple cafe and a consolidation of the various electronic departments into one single location at the northeast corner of the sales floor. This is the interior those who come to this store see today, despite a Subway restaurant opening in 2013 in the pineapple and a couple name changes for the bank, which was later Chase and is now Huntington Bank.
      And now, Meijer is preparing to give store 123 it's second do-over in it's life, which will likely place a new aisle running through and perpendicular to the grocery shelves and move the electronics department to the middle of the rear portion of the store like new Meijer stores being built now and what first debuted in 2015, again to introduce Meijer to a new state, that one being Wisconsin. According to a cashier I spoke to a couple days ago it's supposed to start sometime in March with no set completion date. I'll be sure to post plenty of detailed logs with photos included once the work begins. As of now, that cashier and this page are the only sources of this project.
      I have also created a Facebook group on this project so you can more easily follow updates as I post them.
      Expect a Sketchup soon just like how fellow UPer tamais6 used to do Sketchup renderings of Meijer renovation outcomes...
    • By cammers1995

As I said in my introduction topic, I am heavily facinated by the original Meijer Store on Lafayette St, in Greenville. (Aka, Store #1)
      This store still stands and is used for many things. The far right is used as a food pantry and a thrift store. The majority of the middle is a BMX track and the far left is some unknown thing. (I believe it WAS a chaple). The building is in bad shape though. The roof is leaking terribly and the thrift store has many storage totes sitting under the leaks. (There are at least 30 of them, no joke. Its bad.)

I have many photos of the building from last year:

Some of the coolest things are that the Welcome Sign above the non 24 hour entrance is still partially lit up, and the building still appears to look like a Meijer. 
      Anyone else have their own stories, photos, etc to share?