Learning from Other Places

Here is a couple of photos of downtown LA I took back in Oct. 2016 from atop the US Bank tower, the highest open air observation deck in the west.  A must see in LA LA land.   Their skyline is really great now and even parts of Skid Row are going new loft conversions etc.  In the first photo is the new tallest building in the west the Wilshire Grand (center of photo)  at 1100 ft and 73 stories tall.  The US Bank Center where I was is 73 stories 1018 feet tall. 

One thing about downtown LA the streets are extremely wide like 6 lanes in every direction makes for some interesting pedestrian interactions.  Parking is astronomical in downtown too. 

DSCN6995 (1).JPG

DSCN7003 (1).JPG

DSCN7004.JPG

DSCN7011.JPG

DSCN7016.JPG

• Like 1

this is from the Nashville UP what do you think of this Tri-branded Marriott hotels a Spring Hill suites, a Residence Inn and an AC by Marriott?   It is  under construction now I will check it out in person this summer.   I am not an architect but ........ WOOF!

Here is the thread about it with up to date under construction photos 

TribrandhotelNashville.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

When I think of Nashville in terms of high rises, I think of plump little buildings. Everything it so plump and stumpy (the pinnacle being the worst offender of being stumpy mostly because it would be one of my favorite buildings of it were 40+ floors. 

So the building is stumpy. I overall don’t like it. And I think a tri-branded hotel for a relatively small building is just overkill. I’m not a fan of dual branded (unless it was a residence & hotel or just a tall building overall. 40 floors). But 3 over 14 floors?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

this is from the Nashville UP what do you think of this Tri-branded Marriott hotels a Spring Hill suites, a Residence Inn and an AC by Marriott?   It is  under construction now I will check it out in person this summer.   I am not an architect but ........ WOOF!

It looks like they took 3 completely different buildings, stuck them to each other and plopped the whole thing on a 5 story parking deck.

Which is pretty much what they did in reality. Form follows function?

• Like 3

^^^every angle it looks like a different building. Just a weird design.  It actually looks like 4 different buildings.  Maybe designed by a committee? 

I agree  about Nashville buildings.  Do you realize our new soon to be 4th tallest building Legacy tower would be the tallest building in TN if it was there! Even taller than the Batman AT&T bldg.

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 10:45 PM, KJHburg said:

TribrandhotelNashville.jpg

Looks like a Children’s Hospital

• Haha 3

Here are brand new and the first urban parking garage in the center type apartments ever built in Hilton Head.   The design I think it is  pretty good with the porches and brick  usage.  The porches are huge on these.  On Broad Creek at the new Town Center at Shelter Cove. 

IMG_6327.JPG

IMG_6328.JPG

• Like 1

Interesting story about downtown Atlanta (this is downtown not midtown south of Ga Tech campus downtown to I-20 basically) 

They have different problems than Uptown Charlotte  From the article quotes I thought were interested.  I have said I think uptown Charlotte is far more vibrant than downtown Atlanta. 

""Downtown also needs more residents, Ball said. “We need higher density and more units of housing. Land needs to be available so developers can acquire it and build housing,” she said. “There is a tremendous opportunity for more residential development.”  “We only have about 2,600 people that live in downtown but we have about 200,000 jobs here,” she added. “Just look at the amount of space on our roadways dedicated to commute trips. That is a lot of public space that can be used for the amenities that make people want to stay here, not just travel through.” “The cities that are healthiest and most enjoyable have one discernible fabric that holds it all together, as opposed to a place that is just a series of projects or districts. We need to guide this incredible growth in downtown in a way that the sum of all these investments is a much more beautiful city,” he added.  “Atlanta is missing that in a lot of cases in downtown – we see glimpses in smaller places within downtown but it is not stitched together.”

Here is the entire article from the ATL Business Chronicle 

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/feature/downtown-leaders-plan-major-development.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Check out this new office building that now has anchor tenant in west Midtown in Atlanta.  Called Star Metals project where an old metals plant was .  This is a great design balconies on every floor.    http://starmetalsatlanta.com/gallery/    Designed to look like a stack of books.  Does that sound familiar? 

starmetals.jpg

Looks to me like an ancient Chinese temple...

11.jpg

22.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is a pagoda I went to in Dongguan China and especially @elrodvtfor a McDonalds I went to as well LOL (pretty sure it was a coffee or Coca Cola I hadt here) 

But speaking of that Star Metals building that unique design is what the Atlanta Business Chronicle is attracting tenants.  That is one reason I think the Railyard which is different for this area will lease up quickly.  

DongguanMcDonalds.jpg

DongguanPagoda.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really like the Star Metals building. Oddly it reminds me of Asia too, but something different... the mixed use buildings that you frequently see in the larger cities with a multi-floor mall or shopping center on the ground floor and hotel or residences above. Something like this:

Edit: Apparently street view does not embed very well.
Edited by asthasr