Learning from Other Places

Seattle just sold a big piece of land they owned for a HUGE price and will put a lot of the money toward affordable housing. Includes bonus renderings of buildings that are cooler than what we get here! https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2019/08/07/40985975/durkan-announces-1435-million-deal-to-sell-city-owned-mega-block-in-south-lake-union

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Seattle just sold a big piece of land they owned for a HUGE price and will put a lot of the money toward affordable housing. Includes bonus renderings of buildings that are cooler than what we get here! https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2019/08/07/40985975/durkan-announces-1435-million-deal-to-sell-city-owned-mega-block-in-south-lake-union

The architecture here is unbelievable. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Bellevue :)

Oh, Bellevue! High class! :tw_wink: When I lived in Shoreline and then Edmonds I would tell everyone outside Seattle that I lived in Seattle. I remember when I first moved there I thought Bellevue was just a suburb of Seattle like we have suburbs here, and then the first time I went across the lake I realized "oh, Bellevue's downtown is as big as Charlotte's..." It really put the scale of the Seattle area in perspective for me.

Just now, UrbanCharlotte said:

:blink: Bellevue is nice, but I personally wouldn't put it in the same league as Charlotte...

I don't mean to say it's in the same league as Charlotte, it's definitely not, just that their downtown core felt about the same size as Charlotte's as far as density, number of tall buildings, etc. Charlotte's downtown is growing faster than Bellevue's now though.

6 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I don't mean to say it's in the same league as Charlotte, it's definitely not, just that their downtown core felt about the same size as Charlotte's as far as density, number of tall buildings, etc. Charlotte's downtown is growing faster than Bellevue's now though.

Bellevue's tallest building is at 450'? Charlotte has 11 buildings at 450' or over... not including anything currently U/C or proposed. Bellevue does have a gorgeous backdrop though... 

Skyline 2013 Banner.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, UrbanCharlotte said:

Bellevue's tallest building is at 450'? Charlotte has 11 buildings at 450' or over... not including anything currently U/C or proposed. Bellevue does have a gorgeous backdrop though... 

Skyline 2013 Banner.jpg

Since Queens bailed on Amazon, they moved here with a starting 600' building. About the same or larger than legacy. 

On 8/8/2019 at 1:32 PM, Madison Parkitect said:

Oh, Bellevue! High class! :tw_wink: When I lived in Shoreline and then Edmonds I would tell everyone outside Seattle that I lived in Seattle. I remember when I first moved there I thought Bellevue was just a suburb of Seattle like we have suburbs here, and then the first time I went across the lake I realized "oh, Bellevue's downtown is as big as Charlotte's..." It really put the scale of the Seattle area in perspective for me.

I used to commute via bike from Interlaken Park (northeast Capitol Hill, pretty much under Seattle Preparatory School) to Bellevue, then by car from U Village/Windermere (that was a pain to Bellevue and Redmond), then the Central District. The I-90 bridge was bliss on nice days and on wet days was a slog. 520 was great when I could hop on in The Arboretum.

Bellevue has come a long way in the past 20 years.

Edited by davidclt

On 8/11/2019 at 9:49 AM, davidclt said:

I used to commute via bike from Interlaken Park (northeast Capitol Hill, pretty much under Seattle Preparatory School) to Bellevue, then by car from U Village/Windermere (that was a pain to Bellevue and Redmond), then the Central District. The I-90 bridge was bliss on nice days and on wet days was a slog. 520 was great when I could hop on in The Arboretum.

Bellevue has come a long way in the past 20 years.

By bike from Interlaken to Bellevue? Good grief.

• Haha 1

On 8/13/2019 at 12:07 AM, davidclt said:

It wasn't a bad commute. The worst part was coming back to Seattle off of the I-90 bridge in the afternoon and was still faster than commuting by car.

The infrastructure improvements here are staggering. Light rail going all the way up to Microsoft from Seattle.  It's just amazing the climate, public transit, bike lanes and density. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mpretori said:

The infrastructure improvements here are staggering. Light rail going all the way up to Microsoft from Seattle.  It's just amazing the climate, public transit, bike lanes and density. 

I voted for the first round of funding for transit in the late 90s out there. I think it's interesting that Seattle is ordering the Siemens S90 Avanto for their light rail extension (like Charlotte). I also voted for Tim Eyman's I-695; in retrospect probably not good to feed that beast but the car tabs out there were really high. Yes, the cognitive dissonance runs high.

Not a way to solve affordable housing in NYC owner subdivides his apartment into 11 units and then another person in the same building is caught doing it.  Some of these windowless apartments costs $600 a month!

https://nypost.com/2019/08/16/condo-owner-busted-for-building-being-john-malkovich-like-4th-1-2-floor/

https://nypost.com/2019/08/17/second-nyc-condo-owner-busted-for-dividing-apartment-illegally/

• Sad 1

On 8/12/2019 at 5:34 PM, KJHburg said:

Charlotte could learn a thing or two about design standards for apartments and so forth from Charleston.  Today. 

(threw in a couple of places you would recognize all from the upper Kings St area and some off N Meeting St) Rents are high along Kings St lots of turnover and more vacancy than you would think.   Like the heavy use of brick and these are all stick built apartments now granted the rental rate is even higher than Charlotte.  

White building photo 6 has ground floor Starbucks. 

Talk to the state legislature about design standards.

I heard about this company because they are doing this in Atlanta a pop up hotel!  what they do is rent brand new apartments furnished them and for 36 months rent them out as daily hotel type rentals but they have full kitchens of course.   This could be done in Charlotte and I know someone said the SkyHouse has something like this.  This company is called Whyhotels and based in DC

their rates are incredibly affordable for these markets and it helps new apartment communities by stabilizing their occupancy right off the start when they are completed.  

https://whyhotel.com/

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 5:34 PM, KJHburg said:

Charlotte could learn a thing or two about design standards for apartments and so forth from Charleston.  Today. 

(threw in a couple of places you would recognize all from the upper Kings St area and some off N Meeting St) Rents are high along Kings St lots of turnover and more vacancy than you would think.   Like the heavy use of brick and these are all stick built apartments now granted the rental rate is even higher than Charlotte.  

White building photo 6 has ground floor Starbucks.

Awesome pics of Chas!!! I have a house about 3 blocks off of King Street, so please keep on comming. It's a great city, and I enjoy the tourists (unlike some) because they bring a crazy amount of revenue and support the city.  

• Like 2