Learning from Other Places

On 10/8/2019 at 7:22 PM, KJHburg said:

this is interesting in a preventive measure to prevent wildfires in northern California including large parts of the tech heavy Bay area they shutting off the power for 800,000 customers that is not people but customers.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-wildfires/article/PG-E-power-outage-800-000-customers-length-number-14501984.php

would not want to be out there in any of the affected areas for sure.  

One California fail after another.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mpretori said:

Blame sue happy people, not the state of California.

I do not know what you're smoking but ... the sue happy people in Cali are the elected officials ...

Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey is considering manslaughter charges against PG&E and some of its employees for the Camp Fire that killed 85 people and leveled the town of Paradise last year. California Attorney General Xavier Becerra told a federal judge in December that the state’s largest utility could even be charged with murder

this is just one example...

src: https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/article/Criminal-charges-against-PG-E-could-send-message-13963763.php

2 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I do not know what you're smoking but ... the sue happy people in Cali are the elected officials ...

this is just one example...

src: https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/article/Criminal-charges-against-PG-E-could-send-message-13963763.php

No.....

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/insurance-companies-sue-pge-over-california-wildfire-damages-2019-01-03

Now they have to be extra safe to reduce liability. Really sad...

• Like 2

Learning from other places Dallas edition.

We need to keep an eye on this city for sure.  Recently we have competed and continue to compete for big economic development prospects.  the score as I see it on major projects a tie 1-1   Toyota strongly considered Charlotte when they were moving their North American HQ from the LA area and KY and according to the Toyota employee I talked to and other reports we lost for a couple of reasons.  No direct nonstop flights to Japan (and this is something we need to work on with AA or one their partners)  DFW has flights to Hong Kong, China, Japan etc not to mention now New Zealand. Australia, year round service to lots of European cities and soon to Tel Aviv! )  Other reasons for lost bid was the thought too many families relocating here could not be absorbed by our local real estate market.  I rank that one as a maybe.  Central time zone for Dallas could not do anything about that.  Plus  you are comparing a metro area of 7,5 Million 4th largest in USA to Charlotte at 2.5 M.     However we did recently win one the 2000 job tech center for Lowes which despite HQ being close to the QC we were not guaranteed this project for sure.  

Dallas has the largest light rail system in the USA connecting DFW airport to downtown and I as saw to their major medical centers which was heavily used.  All their lines converge right downtown too.  

They have great master planned business parks like our Ballantyne but only bigger like the 12,000 acre Las Colinas which has DART light rail too.  

They have a huge system of toll roads and TEXpress lanes tolled lanes on an otherwise freeway.  

Their roster of corporate headquarters is quite impressive and I think I read or heard they have the most Fortune 500 HQ outside of NYC.  

Charlotte's strengths is our size, location in the southeast and comparable cost of living.    They have a huge tech community that is getting bigger and bigger even though in state rival Austin gets all the press.   The business of Dallas is business just like Charlotte.   Very well diversified roster of companies.  

Of course their freeway cap if that ever becomes something Charlotte wants to do we will have to do it the Dallas way private public partnership 

Even Mr Tepper wants to model his new practice facility after the Dallas Cowboys complex in the  far north suburb of Frisco.   https://www.thestarinfrisco.com/

They could learn a thing or two from Charlotte on our streetscapes, tree ordinances etc.  Their downtown is devoid of street plantings in most areas and they have uneven sidewalks that caused problems for my blind cousin when he lived there. 

They have a Six Flags but we have a Carowinds which I think is even better. 

1. big eyeball downtown    2. Huge Parkland Hospital right on the DART line  3.4. freeway cap park Klyde Warren park   5. decorative bridge we need one like the one once proposed for the greenway over 277 Independence.    6. notice apartment complexes look like ours from this aerial shot.   7. downtown from the air.  8.  and some of these would complete our fine city.

Charlotte  > Dallas   

as the Dallas Fort Worth UP is pretty dead I lit it up with photos check them out if you are interested

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/216-dallas-fort-worth/

IMG_5861.JPG

IMG_5828.JPG

IMG_5917.JPG

IMG_5925.JPG

IMG_5732.JPG

IMG_6091.JPG

IMG_6096.JPG

IMG_4527.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Learning from other places Carolinas edition

1. first from downtown Asheville.  Not only a leader in historic preservation  but downtown retail too.   This is something that could be done EASILY in uptown Charlotte under the bus shelters that line up and down Tryon that are mainly unused.  Pop up retail vendors adding street life.    This photo was taken at 830 am this morning so no one was out but they use these tables to sell their wares.  Imagine people selling art, jewelry for a low fee and at least we could have some non food retail uptown.  

2.   Wow is all I can say about this new mixed used project in Raleigh on the Beltline near North Hills but not apart of it.   Look at the architecture   They bought the land for cheap over the years got it rezoned now they plan to start building.  

https://midtownexchangenc.com/#gallery

IMG_7623.JPG

IMG_7624.JPG

• Like 3

Here is something we can learn from Atlanta their new Secure the Neighborhoods program where police officers get help buying homes in the most crime ridden parts of town.  In Atlanta neighborhoods where this has been done crime has gone dramatically.

Big business is helping out and the big business of Charlotte needs to help lower our crime problem in Charlotte.  Wells Fargo is a sponsor there. 

https://atlantapolicefoundation.org/secure-neighborhoods/

• Like 4

There is discussion at times bemoaning the fact that there is limited retail in the center city of Charlotte.  The borough of Bronx with 1.5 million people doesn't even have one bookstore in the vicinity  The article is from 3 years ago, but I assume it is still the status quo!

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/the-bronx-loses-its-only-bookstore

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

things done right and things we can learn from our sister cities in the Triangle.  I know there is a lot intrastate competition between the QC and the Triangle cities but I would rather live in that area  over Atlanta or Nashville any day of the week.  2 interesting downtowns.

Durham first  1.2.3  West Village these old warehouse renovated for Duke University and their Clinical Research Organization.  the 3rd photo that warehouse factory is from 1916.   4. 5. Durham's Carolina Theater what a gem!  Their newer DPAC Durham Performing Arts Center not pictured is one of the highest grossing such facilities in the USA! 6.   we need a chess set in uptown or southend like this.  7. colorful crosswalks. 8.  a bull for the Bull City   9. 10. Raleigh Cary and the entire Triangle have a greenway system that blows Charlotte out of the water.  It is truly fantastic. 11. just interesting probably the largest Astroturf lawn in the state at North Hills Midtown remember the fake grass was invented in nearby RTP.  

IMG_8362.JPG

IMG_8363.JPG

IMG_8374.JPG

IMG_8378.JPG

IMG_8380.JPG

IMG_8381.JPG

IMG_8384.JPG

IMG_8388.JPG

IMG_8408.JPG

IMG_8409.JPG

IMG_8452.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Durham first  1.2.3  West Village these old warehouse renovated for Duke University and their Clinical Research Organization.  the 3rd photo that warehouse factory is from 1916.  

IMG_8362.JPG

IMG_8363.JPG

IMG_8374.JPG

Stayed at an AirBNB in West Village and it was fantastic.If you're still in town, check out Dame's Chicken and Waffles, all the staff and students at Duke and people who live in the area recommend it. 

Edited by Ric0_0
  • Like 2

I was at Raleigh station Thanksgiving day delivering family who rode from Kannapolis. A day trip for them with two boys age 13 and 11. New and clean. Large christmas tree and a temporary stage with folding chairs set with microphone in main area so caroling, or special event or performance of some type. Maybe meeting with announcement. Something for a stage and speaker and chairs for 80 or so but room there for many more. Large three story windows with tallest buildings in view. An airport feel. Train "Carolinian" was on time. Parking available.

• Like 2