Learning from Other Places

Mass timber buildings are popping up all over.  One under construction in San Antonio and this new one in Midtown Atlanta.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/atlanta-development/2019/11/25/20980941/atlanta-t3-atlantic-station-west-midtown-timber-framed-office

since Crescent is now owned by a Japanese forestry company I am surprised they have not announced one here yet. 

• Like 3

This is purely objective, but for me, Nashville has a buzz that Charlotte just can’t match. And not that it needs too. 

Yes, Charlotte’s infrastructure is far further along than Nashville’s. On the other hand, I never have trouble getting around Nashville. And Amazon obviously didn’t think that ease of transit was a black mark for Charlotte.

• 4 weeks later...

This is an impressive new arts center going up in downtown Greensboro the Stephen Tanger Center for Performing Arts with its 3000 plus seat theater.  

I am very impressed the Guilford county business community and residents have raised $42 M of it is $88 M cost.  This is the most important development in Gboro right now in my eyes.  Their downtown is really nice and they have a great history museum and park downtown too.  

https://www.greensboro.com/blogs/gotriad_extra/not-a-bad-seat-in-the-house-as-new-corporate/article_e963464a-e3f8-58ed-872d-d99468f01c0a.html#1

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

Wow. You know lists have jumped the shark when Titlemax is hocking them. 

• Haha 3

we need a container food hall or development.  This one is in a 10,000 acre master planned community called Lake Nona SE of Orlando next to their town center.  

This would work in town NoDa, Camp Northend, LoSo etc or the re-imagined Ballantyne or even in the new River District.   (dog friendly too)  Unfortunately the Sunshine State failed me in the afternoon no sun.    

Boxi Park Lake Nona 

https://boxiparklakenona.com/

On yeah a huge stainless steel dog and this would go good with Huge stainless steel head we have in Whitehall. 

http://www.lakenona.com/

IMG_2090.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

IMG_2109.JPG

IMG_2110.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rancenc said:

If Chattanooga can win this coveted retail establishment in their downtown, then the QC can do the same!!:tw_kiss_wink:

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2020/jan/23/downtown-chattanoogdollar-general-carry-fruit/513803/

believe it or not there is one in downtown Raleigh.  I will check it out next time I am there I forget it is there.  

here is a video of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0C3h3rtUaQ

• Like 2

On 1/26/2020 at 10:53 AM, tarhoosier said:

Buried utilities everywhere. The overhead wire is to suspend and power the street light. WWII was terrible and the cost of life was unspeakable. One advantage to the rebuilding was modern infrastructure without ties to the past.

Also pollarded trees.

Don't need a WW to redevelop areas. Charlotte demolished half of uptown and a war didn't cause that. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Richmond VA's city council has decided not to pursue a new arena and subsequent development.  Based on comments from the Richmond Urban Plant group, this is a serious step backward for the city and the region.

https://arenadigest.com/2020/02/12/city-council-halts-richmond-arena-development-project/

• Thanks 1

file this under what NOT to do and we should never let our homeless population get to the point that San Francisco is currently.   I remember when San Francisco was much cleaner and the streets were not full of active drug dealing.   Until I hear it is that way again I will stay away.    The sad thing about all of this in San Fran it is mostly avoidable but due to city laws and enforcement this is what happens.  

this is from the San Fran Biz Times and this is the president of the Chamber of Commerce.

“San Franciscans are frustrated. Visitors are shocked,” Rodney Fong, the chamber’s president and CEO, told those attending the CityBeat breakfast, which sported the tagline, "Wake up, San Francisco!"   “Our homeless neighbors are living in absolute misery. There are over 4,000 San Franciscans on the streets right now. Most of them suffer from mental health issues or drug abuse. “It’s time for all of us in this room to say, ‘enough is enough,’” Fong said to applause. “Our children are stepping over trash on the way to school. I’m sick and tired of how our streets look.  “There are communities and families on the street that have formed, we should not and cannot tear them apart. We have a social, moral and civic obligation to take care of those communities to make sure they have shelter, service and support,” Fong said. “We must take action now.”   Under StreetCareSF, the chamber called for expanded conservatorship to provide court-ordered treatment for those who are unable to care for themselves due to severe mental illness. The chamber’s poll found 86% of respondents said they would support expanded conservatorship.   The chamber also wants enforcement of existing laws against open-air drug dealing. The chamber said 78% of respondents support that idea.   StreetCareSF calls for increasing police staffing levels to keep pace with San Francisco’s population growth, which 80% of poll respondents supported.  The chamber wants an audit of San Francisco’s homeless services and spending. That idea was supported by 86% of poll respondents.   The city’s business leaders also want merchant corridors and neighborhood streets to be better cleaned. The CityBeat poll found 85% support that measure.  The chamber is also teaming up with the Hotel Council of SF and SF Travel to align the council's existing CleanSafe365 campaign with the city's budget priorities, specifically to make street cleanliness and safety and homeless services the top priority.   San Francisco Mayor London Breed, speaking at the breakfast, called on the business community to support her efforts to get a measure on the November ballot that would boost housing construction in the city.   “Across this city, too many of us have seen our families and friends move away in moving vans, and this is an opportunity to do something about it,” Breed said. “Too many of you have seen your employees leave San Francisco, because you can’t afford to raise a family here.”   Breed’s proposed charter amendment would allow affordable housing — and many market-rate projects for middle-class residents — to move much more quickly through the city’s approval process. The mayor also recapped many of the city’s efforts to address homelessness.   “Let’s be clear, we have not accomplished nearly enough,” Breed said. “Over the past two years, we helped over 4,000 people exit homelessness, and we are well on our way to meeting our goal of building a thousand new shelter beds and every night we house over 10,000 formerly homeless residents.   “We’ve done all this and more, and yet when we look outside at our streets, it doesn’t even look like we’ve scratched the surface,” Breed said. “If we are going to truly make a difference, we have to act boldly and with a great sense of urgency.   “This means pushing policies that may make some uncomfortable, like continuing to expand our mental health laws at a state level to really help people that are suffering from mental illness,” Breed said to applause. “It means adding more mental health beds and sobering centers and shelters wherever we can in this city and building more housing throughout San Francisco.""

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 1

Went up to Boston this weekend and spent some time in Somerville.  I thought Bow Market was an awesome spot and something that Charlotte could use as a good example of adaptive reuse.  This is a former storage facility where they turned all of the storage units into small little stores.  The ground floor had a brewery and some street-food-style restaurants, and the second floor was primarily soft goods retail.  A huge courtyard for public space and hanging out.  No parking deck to be found, but good bike lanes make for easy getting around.  

Link

https://www.bowmarketsomerville.com/

20200216_123434.jpg

• Like 4