Learning from Other Places

11 minutes ago, UrbanCharlotte said:

Austin is great and all but I'm disappointed they'll have a taller tower than CLT in the near future

X Guadalupe will be 848 feet of weird disjointed design that looks like one building sitting on another
Bank of America Corporate Center is 871 feet of timeless beauty. 

I don't think they haven't anything proposed taller than Corporate Center. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

If you are speaking of 6X Guadalupe that tower is 848 feet tall unless it got taller BofA Corporate Center is 871  feet.   (I gave the tower 4 extra feet corrected) 

No, not 6X Guadalupe

Also am aware that BofA is 871' lol

Edited by UrbanCharlotte
  • Like 1

I'll step in here for a moment.  The ATX East Tower is a possible supertall.  It's part of two tower project by LA based Karlin.  The ATX  West Tower is the second tower.  It is in the very early stages of the permitting process and no specific details about height are known.  But who knows what happens now with the Pandemic recession.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The ATX said:

I'll step in here for a moment.  The ATX East Tower is a possible supertall.  It's part of two tower project by LA based Karlin.  The ATX  West Tower is the second tower.  It is in the very early stages of the permitting process and no specific details about height are known.  But who knows what happens now with the Pandemic recession.

thanks and I went over to Austin UP which you basically maintain by yourself (thanks) to check.  Is this proposed or whispered ATX West tower a residential, office or hotel or some kind of mixture.   Austin skyline is booming but I am wary of super tall residential tower or hotels right now I would be super shocked.  That said look forward to coming to Austin this fall maybe by plane maybe by vehicle from CLT.   I have driven to Houston before from here might be a time for another epic road trip across the southeast. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The ATX said:

Different site

• Like 1

A aerial view of 4 different cities during the last month.  For those that bemoan the fact that "there is nothing to do in Charlotte", the Covid19 saga just proves how cities that "have so much to do" can lose that entertainment edge in a flash!!:tw_open_mouth:

• Like 2

Savannah has a tiny home village for formerly homeless vets and now has a sanitary homeless camp on city property patrolled by city police.   How come this smaller city in Georgia is more creative than the big city of Charlotte in dealing with their homeless?   We need to try this.  Learn from our southern neighbor.  

https://fox28media.com/news/local/savannahs-homeless-population-signing-up-to-live-at-citys-first-ever-sanitary-camp

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

since Charlotte does not seem to learn to preserve their history (will the 1940s high rise Hall House meet the wrecking ball?) they should learn from Savannah which treasures its history. Even their new construction is great.  

1. Hotel Indigo old building to right newer construction to left.    2. Brand new apartments all brick, stucco look great!   3. 4. 5. Old power plant they kept the smokestacks and now it is Plant Riverside a 400 room JW Marriott hotel.  (more photos under the Savannah Georgia UP thread)   6. the BB&T Building aka Truist Building and SunTrust has their 5 story 1970s office building across the street.  I sure hope they stay in the older building.   7. Johnson Square Business Center tower.  8.   parking space dining on Broughton St.  to be fair the street was completed blocked off 2 blocks down for utility construction so a lot less traffic.   9.  small buildings are important for retail and pedestrian scale.  Broughton St is a shopping district like King St in Charleston.  

As I have said before Charlotte has done a good job of preserving history outside of uptown but uptown there is still this need for all new buildings remember even our JW Marriott is sitting on the on the site of the McQuay Spivey Seed store, a recent uptown lost.  Plus there is this insane talk by Charlotte Housing Inlivian to tear down the only high rise built in the city from mid 1920s to 1950s the Hall House.  

IMG_9681.JPG

IMG_9688.JPG

IMG_9705.JPG

IMG_9710.JPG

IMG_9717.JPG

IMG_9745.JPG

IMG_9747.JPG

IMG_9752.JPG

IMG_9756.JPG

• Like 4

Asheville has a lot of things that can teach Charlotte including preservation of historical buildings (like Hall House Barringer Hotel in uptown Charlotte that CHA Inlivian wants to destroy).  This would never happen in Asheville.   And Charlotte can learn a thing or two from Asheville about how to activate street life.  I love these covered platforms where people can sell their wares and this is right outside the Grove Arcade which itself is beautiful. 

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

• Like 4

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Asheville has a lot of things that can teach Charlotte including preservation of historical buildings (like Hall House Barringer Hotel in uptown Charlotte that CHA Inlivian wants to destroy).  This would never happen in Asheville.   And Charlotte can learn a thing or two from Asheville about how to activate street life.  I love these covered platforms where people can sell their wares and this is right outside the Grove Arcade which itself is beautiful. 

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

The first two pictures look like a nicer version of Latta Arcade. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This memory hole is more like learning from this place. A few years ago I did a census search for the property in Dilworth where I lived at the time, an early 1900's house with two bedrooms and one bathroom, originally. In 1930 the census showed eight persons at that address. Four (or five) were members of a family and three (or four) were adults and not apparent family members. There was a parlor that could be separated by pocket doors and make a room suitable for a bedroom. Still, eight people and one bathroom make for a crowded house. I assume roomers as an income adjunct for the residents. This is how people lived. The large houses on East Boulevard had roomers, most famously Carson McCullers the author of The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter. Apartment buildings were few and meant for those who preferred such a style of living and could pay for the privilege, a "metropolitan" style of life.

Would you take in roomers in your home today? Boarders if they paid for meals?

• Like 1

In NC's other large cities a building like the Hall House would NOT be torn today.  Look at this stock of historical still standing buildings in downtown Winston and Greensboro.  Even the old 3 story county courthouse in downtown WS is becoming apartments.   #SaveHallHouse

all the following from Winston

1. Hotel Indigo in the Pepper Bldg WS hmm looks like a slight smaller Hall House   1928 

2. across the street office building beautiful WS

3. Forsyth county courthouse old one being turned into apartments

4. the famous RJR Building the MODEL for that taller Empire State Bldg in NYC  this is Kimpton hotel and the Cardinal apartments   22 stories 1929 

5. Nissen Bldg once offices now retail on ground floor and apartments 20 stories 1927

6. NC School of the Arts 

Not to mention an entire old cigarette factory saved now the Innovation Quarter.  

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/15/2020 at 9:07 AM, NYtoCLT said:

The first two pictures look like a nicer version of Latta Arcade. 

As nice as Grove Park is, seldom did I see crowds (pre Covid) within it.  The crowds were always outside, even on chilly days.  My point is, it would be hard to pay rent based on retail.  Latta, on the other hand... seems to be crowded all the time.

53 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

As nice as Grove Park is, seldom did I see crowds (pre Covid) within it.  The crowds were always outside, even on chilly days.  My point is, it would be hard to pay rent based on retail.  Latta, on the other hand... seems to be crowded all the time.

Fair, I meant in terms of how it is maintained.  I love Latta, but it could definitely use a clean-up/face lift.  No one even knows there are businesses on the second floor of Latta. 

• Like 1

Durham is getting not one but 2 Timber construction office buildings developed by Hines at an expanded American Tobacco Campus.  They have built these in Denver, Atlanta, Minneapolis already.  Crescent here in Charlotte is owned by a Japanese timber company so I am not sure why they have not done one here yet.   These will be timber and brick. 

Check it out and Hines is really going big in the Triangle with this project and Fenton in Cary.

http://hinesgarziavirtualvegas.com/american-tobacco-campus/

https://www.hines.com/news/capitol-broadcasting-co-and-hines-in-partnership-with-usaa-real-estate-announce-major-mixed-use-development-in-downtown-durham

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 4:29 PM, KJHburg said:

sounds like this living wall on a Dallas tower will work a lot better than the Ascent in Charlotte which was supposed to have cascading plants as well.

https://www.bdcnetwork.com/continent’s-tallest-living-wall-could-soon-sprout-dallas

I am intimately familiar with this project.  They/(we?) were supposed to have a big hard hat n shovel groundbreaking in late June, but alas, Covid. 

• Like 2