Learning from Other Places

lets NOT do this look at what Nashville passed in June.  OUCH for any property owner and look for rents to rise in Nashville too.  From Nashville UP   They have  city county consolidated government there Nashville Davidson county. 

""Metro Council approves 34% property tax hike by 32-8 margin. 

The budget, in effect on July 1, increases Davidson County's property tax rate by $1.066 per $100 of assessed value. This moves the rate from $3.155 to $4.221 per $100 of assessed value in the city's more urban areas. For a home appraised at $250,000, that would mean an increase of about $666.25 per year. The new tax rate will remain the lowest among Tennessee's largest cities and counties. ""

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2020/06/17/nashville-approves-new-budget-34-percent-tax-hike-increase-funds-police-schools/3200993001/

• Thanks 1

Don't take this personally but you, along with most posters here, seem to want uncontrolled growth with huge business tax rebates but not to pay for the necessary road and transit improvements. That's been bugging me for a while now. ;-) Maybe I misunderstood all the good news posts though? Can we, and the country in total, afford another 20 years of crumbling infrastructure? The consequences will be huge single year increases in the future. The state can't print money.

Now personally I disagree with the premise that new jobs or company moves always go into good news. Many are in fact bad news.

There let the progressive hate begin. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Put this is this in the what NOT to learn from other cities. From San Fran the current HQ city of Wells Fargo.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2020/08/12/exclusive-former-wells-fargo-ceo-warns-california.html

Oh the movement out of San Fran it is for real read this SF Gate article

https://www.sfgate.com/living-in-sf/article/2020-San-Francisco-exodus-is-real-and-historic-15484785.php

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

As a follow up to KJHburg's posting above, I think that there is an exodus brewing of both residents and businesses from Seattle.  The "protest" nonsense in that city along with the police defunding moves as well as changes in the taxation structure is making that city less and less desirable.  We shall see what the future holds.

https://komonews.com/news/local/local-broker-says-people-frustrated-about-protests-violence-in-seattle-choosing-to-move

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 8/16/2020 at 8:38 AM, rancenc said:

As a follow up to KJHburg's posting above, I think that there is an exodus brewing of both residents and businesses from Seattle.  The "protest" nonsense in that city along with the police defunding moves as well as changes in the taxation structure is making that city less and less desirable.  We shall see what the future holds.

https://komonews.com/news/local/local-broker-says-people-frustrated-about-protests-violence-in-seattle-choosing-to-move

That's a pretty meaningless article, especially since KOMO is owned by Sinclair and is well-known around Seattle for trying to really play up conservative talking points. And anyway, the example they gave was someone moving to the East Side instead of Seattle proper. That's like someone living in Fort Mill instead of Charlotte, it's still the metro area.

In Houston especially downtown where you can build anything anywhere due to no zoning here is a great historical renovation conversion of an office building to apartment tower.  I will be there in October I will check it out.  The Hall House Hotel Barringer may not look as good on the outside as this building but the building is important for Charlotte nonetheless due to none of the large hotels from 1940 or before are standing except the Hall House. 

https://www.bdcnetwork.com/texaco’s-century-old-headquarters-now-luxury-apartment-community?oly_enc_id=8019B2501789I8C

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cltbwimob said:

I took my first stroll around downtown Greenville yesterday and...holy crap...Charlotte is doing it wrong.  It’s unbelievable how nice their downtown looks at the street level and just how livable it seems to be.  They have some beautiful historic buildings and the storefronts are aesthetically pleasing.  They have actual soft goods retail and restaurants that look like places I’d want to eat.  Their new architecture, even the mid rise super block apartments look to be thoughtfully designed and use high quality materials.  And the centerpiece of their downtown is the beautiful falls park on the Reedy which frankly puts Romare Bearden to shame and I would say even rivals the Boston Common/Public Garden in its beauty, albeit smaller in scale.

Now I know Charlotte will probably never have anything that rivals Falls Park, as we lack a waterfall in downtown.  But every other thing listed above is 100% achievable.  

Sometimes Charlotte, you don’t have to go very far and spend exorbitant amounts on City Council retreats to find examples of cities doing it right.  Sometimes those cities are in your own backyard.

It helps that downtown Greenville isn't just a vertical office park for a couple employers with grand lobbies to impress. It is actually built for the local community to shop, dine, and play. You also have free parking even during the work week in city garages, which makes it possible for businesses like a nail saloon or barber to operate that don't just cater to office workers doing an errand on their lunch break. Many of my co-workers in Greenville regularly drive TO downtown from their suburban office park, park for free, grab lunch, and head back to the office. Stay at home parents can come and park for an hour, unload the minivan,  let the kids play in the park, and go and grab an ice cream (there are like 10 ice cream / sweet shops in downtown Greenville vs..... maybe Amelie's in Uptown?). 

If you weren't taking the light rail (say you lived in Dilworth), getting your nails done in Uptown Charlotte at 10AM on a Wednesday would cost you around $10 - $20 to park. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

I think we need a not learning from other places thread.;-) Seriously, the city sends people to benchmark against various cities but I've never seen any report on how that translated to action. Our city seems to simply maintain the unsuccessful status quo.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I think we need a not learning from other places thread.;-) Seriously, the city sends people to benchmark against various cities but I've never seen any report on how that translated to action. Our city seems to simply maintain the unsuccessful status quo.

Yeah I don’t see much in the way of change.  This city will committee, task force, and study an issue to death and still fail to take action on anything.

I will say that Charlotte is great at creating white collar jobs, attracting hqs, and so forth.  And the companies we do seem to have are often powerful and relatively important to the national economy (Honeywell, Truist, Duke, BofA).  

I will also say that I think we are heading in the right direction on Transit.  

But we really could use an injection of culture, art, historical preservation, high quality low-and mid-rise architecture, retail and just general livability for our downtown.  We have a magnificent skyline, but the specialness of Uptown pretty much stops there.

• Like 4

the more  y'all talk about this the more interested I get for real.  to stay in a 5 star hotel one of the best in the south in a historical high rise for that amount of money.  KJ will temporarily relocate my world HQ to Winston.   stay at the hotel work some then walk around downtown WS the over to Old Salem then lunch downtown then yes an afternoon nap.  

I would want the absolute highest hotel floor (as there are some apartments atop the 21 story building)

here are the details   like a wework but with a bed and private bath. 

https://www.thecardinalhotel.com/exclusive-offer/?p=11766&cm_mmc=YextLocal-_-cp-_-US-_-CRD

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Little ole Apex in Wake County really trying to help its downtown restaurants out by closing parking lanes to allow for more outside dining even Raleigh doing it.  Charlotte seems to be slow to act maybe we are too big to care about small businesses and restaurants but when vacancies increase uptown maybe they will think about it.  Plus little campaigns like what I saw in Pittsboro today. 

1. first photo downtown Raleigh

The rest is from Apex a town about the size of Huntersville 59,000 or so. 

IMG_2604.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

IMG_2636.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

IMG_2639.JPG

IMG_2641.JPG

IMG_2696.JPG

• Like 4

On 9/11/2020 at 6:04 PM, rancenc said:

Gatlinburg....city to NOT emulate unless you like tacky!!:tw_flushed:

I stayed around there for the first time ever last week because we were going hiking/swimming at Midnight Hole (off the Big Creek Trail), and WOW that entire area is such a cartoon. I'm sure the theater is all fun, and the rides look great, but lord!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2