Learning from Other Places

^cool building.

I remember when we were deciding where to relocate we toured a condo mid rise in Charleston. It was across the street from the river. This was maybe 10 years ago and when I checked on insurance it was really outrageous. Maybe 10k/year if memory serves?? Hurricane and Sea level rise. When we were there it rained the night before, nothing big, and water was gushing up out of the storm water drains and many streets had a foot or more of standing water. Crazy!

Fixing this is going to result in a really huge bill in a decade or two. Then there is the idiocy of allowing people to rebuild over and over  again after floods. Eventually, and people are going to go nuts over this, those properties need to be condemned and turned into barrier. 100 year food plain is rapidly becoming 5 year flood plain!

Same for people building in areas of high fire risk. Etc...

From up the road in Raleigh and Cary in Wake County.  They are doing some FANTASTIC suburban urban mixed use projects.  Charlotte may beat Raleigh in high rises and infill projects but these suburban town centers are just great.  Don't worry I will increase my trips to Raleigh even more as they get going and especially with the new Texas based Bucees coming to I-85/40 before the Chapel Hill split.  

1.  North Hills expansion on the old JC Penney site at North Hills original part.  Check out that 10 story building designed by Duda Paine 

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/10/07/kane-realty-unveils-plans-for-12-story-mixed-use.html

2. Fenton in Cary under construction with Wegmans, Superica, movie theater, offices, retail, apartments, hotel

http://fentonnc.com/

3. Carolina Yards aka old Cary Town Center mall totally demo but Belks and Dave and Busters urban grid pattern on the site

https://carolinayards.com/

4. and back in north Raleigh Midtown Exchange close to North Hills 

https://midtownexchangenc.com/

These are some of best projects like this anywhere in the country in my opinion.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

what can Charlotte learn from a huge sprawling metro area like Houston home to over 7 million people, 5th largest in US.    Well a few things of course.  People are always surprised when I say Houston along with San Antonio is one of my favorite cities in Texas.  

1. Houston Metro trains operate mostly on streets like our upcoming streetcars.  Houstonians have learn to live with them on the streets after noted accidents once they started running. I am sure our drivers which are no better will find out the hard way too.   2. new office construction in a city with 18% vacancy but there is a flight to quality.  3. 40 story Market Square apartment tower with pool that overhangs the city 40 floors up.  I think the Ellis should have done this.  4. Despite being a city where you build anything anywhere you want most of the time they have saved many older high rises especially their hotels.  Lesson for Charlotte uptown in particular do NOT replace the Hall House Hotel Barringer with a stick built low rise.  5. Post Rice loft apartments in another old hotel. 

6. yet another old hotel still a hotel the Lancaster.  7. fantastic skyline and Charlotte's is too but you have to get way back to get it all in one photo. from the huge Texas sized 3 story Buffalo Brewery.  8.  Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the country with huge Asian, African American and Hispanic populations yet still considers itself the largest city in the South.  9. any city that has a 64 story office building Williams Tower outside the downtown is a winner in my books. 10. Huge parks but Houston is huge.  This is Hermann Park between the Texas Medical Center (largest such area in the world) and Museum district all on the Metro rail SW of downtown. 

11.12. fantastic museums that all offer free admission one day a week and the day I went to the 3 building huge MOFA-Houston it was courtesy of Shell Oil.  Would be a great idea for Charlotte to offer this more than once a month.  Like the Hornets for example offering a free day at the Harvey B. Gantt.   13.14. there was a discussion a while back on UP about having more high rises along the freeways well Houston does that well.  (Galleria area first shot and Memorial City of the Katy 1-10 freeway)   15. Houston metro tracks did see one car from California turning in front a moving a train.  Charlotte needs to learn about this real quick.

16. another old hotel made anew into the Guest Quarters suites downtown.   17. sure wish Charlotte had a 72 story 992 foot tall Wells Fargo Plaza like this glass one.  18. maybe these kinds of bus shelters instead of having so many benches everywhere uptown that have become homeless havens.  (read previous post about how Houston has less people on the street in the last few years in a previous post)  19.20 another group of older buildings converted into 3 Marriott properties.  Texas does value their history in their cities and Charlotte should do the same especially uptown.  21. positive murals downtown and we need more uptown.  22. close up at that pool 40 stories up  would you swim it?  I would to get a photo!  23. yet another old hotel this one the Cambria do you see a pattern in Houston?  24. 25. . The Woodlands a huge planned city with walkable downtown along a canal with paddleboats.  26. HUGE skatepark right near downtown in Buffalo Bayou park.  They have even a larger one north of downtown.  

for all the rest of Houston photos I dumped them in the Houston thread of UP.   Houston and Atlanta are the only top 10 US metros I would ever live in but don't worry Charlotte is my #1 of all sizes. 

somehow a few photos got out of order but I think you can figure it out. 

IMG_5529.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5591.JPG

IMG_5592.JPG

IMG_5601.JPG

IMG_5630.JPG

IMG_5838.JPG

IMG_5849.JPG

IMG_5961.JPG

IMG_6008.JPG

IMG_6016.JPG

IMG_6034.JPG

IMG_6110.JPG

IMG_6552.JPG

IMG_6790.JPG

IMG_6792.JPG

IMG_6820.JPG

IMG_6849.JPG

IMG_6878.JPG

IMG_6884.JPG

IMG_6898.JPG

IMG_6931.JPG

IMG_5670.JPG

IMG_6948.JPG

IMG_7009.JPG

IMG_7082.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

Jax or Jacksonville has condemned a 16  story apartment tower that stalled under construction since 2016 about the same time a certain parking garage in 1st Ward was built and still not opened.  I give it to Jax as they condemned it and it is coming down soon a shell of a building.  If the garage in First Ward is structurally defective why is it not condemned?  If not why is not opened???

read about it here

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2020/10/30/developer-submits-demo-permit-berkman-ii.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Miami got a new hedge fund office that considered Charlotte evidently.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/18b-hedge-fund-marathon-chooses-miami-for-a-new-office-beating-out-charlotte-atlanta/

and Miami continues to boom with new condo and apartment towers captured in this one photo.  Can't wait to check out Miami in Jan. again.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/miamis-staggering-growth-as-seen-in-a-single-photo/

• Like 1

Great historical renovation to take place in Detroit.  I only wished I had gone by this beautiful train station when I last visited the Motor city years ago.  I have only seen it modeled at the Biltmore Estate.  see photos below. 

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/ford-unveils-plans-for-30-acre-detroit-redevelopment/

what a great project!

https://michigancentral.com/

IMG_8383.JPG

IMG_8382 (2).JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

Here is something Charlotte can learn from Houston.  Start a non profit that builds SROs single room occupancy like McNinch Place all over town.  Many are just studio apartments with no real kitchen but a microwave and fridge and communal kitchens.    They have just built their 9th one in Houston.   Check them out.    Called New Hope Housing.  we need a lot of this to move people off the streets.   They do build some bigger units but many are micro units.  We can not call ourselves a great city with the tent cities and rampant homelessness we have in this town.  We can build a $10 Billion transit system but if it is going by tent cities everywhere is it worth it?     We have to get serious about this and at least Houston is trying and succeeding where we are not. 

https://www.newhopehousing.com/properties/harrisburg/   and they are building them along transit lines! 

https://www.newhopehousing.com/our-approach/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 1:12 PM, KJHburg said:

Great historical renovation to take place in Detroit.  I only wished I had gone by this beautiful train station when I last visited the Motor city years ago.  I have only seen it modeled at the Biltmore Estate.  see photos below. 

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/ford-unveils-plans-for-30-acre-detroit-redevelopment/

what a great project!

https://michigancentral.com/

As someone with deep Michigan roots, I am very happy to see this. Parts of Detroit have definitely rebounded and are doing immensely better, but it will take generations to recover from the mass de-industrialization and white-flight that took place from 1960-2010.

Detroit peaked at 1.85M residents around 1950 in only half the sq. miles as Charlotte. It was 4x as dense as modern day Charlotte back then. Imagine if Charlotte lost 2/3 of it's population and how empty it would feel....truly a tragedy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

this is good looking high density mid rise for sale  product being built in Raleigh near their downtown.  Stacked 2 story townhomes with rooftop decks and the good news is this builder is in the Charlotte market too.

Stanley Martin Homes prepares to build new condos in downtown Raleigh - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

th?id=OVFT.d-5ADeOSsnkhcXt8nKhSKy&pid=News&w=256&h=158&c=14&rs=2&qlt=90

Here is the same community being built in Richmond

New Condominiums For Sale - The Paxton (stanleymartin.com)

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

Here is what a DGX store looks like this one is brand new in downtown Wilmington (also one in downtown Raleigh)  It is a Dollar General urban format store and reminds me of the tiny Teeter uptown.  One of these would do good in uptown Charlotte or even in Southend.  Serves the basic needs and is meant to be walked to and shopped. 

IMG_9882.JPG

IMG_9883.JPG

IMG_9884.JPG

IMG_9885.JPG

IMG_9886.JPG

• Like 2

Here is a great project that would fit right in somewhere in Charlotte maybe Southend.  This is RiverPlace in downtown Wilmington a mixed use project with large city parking garage wrapped with apartments and for sale condos and ground floor retail and dramatic staircase.  This is one sharp looking project and I am not just saying that because I worked for this developer years ago but it is true.  

River Place Wilmington  even better than the renderings.  Photos from Tuesday.   Notice the parking garage treatment very nice.  Blends in nicely with older historic buildings of downtown Wilmington. 

Retail tenants include Mellow Mushroom, DGX store, salon, BofA branch and soon on the upper plaza new location for Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.   This is a project that would be good in any city in NC and it is fabulous in Wilmington.   Between Water and Front Streets check it out next time you are in NC's port city which by the way is booming in all directions. 

Condominiums & Apartments Downtown | River Place Wilmington, NC

IMG_9868.JPG

IMG_9869.JPG

IMG_9870.JPG

IMG_9875.JPG

IMG_9876.JPG

IMG_9878.JPG

IMG_9926.JPG

IMG_9924 (2).JPG

IMG_9925 (2).JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the City Beautiful this weekend (that is Orlando for those who don't know) and I think @elrodvt and I can agree on this McDonalds I think!  Would it not be nice for uptown Charlotte to have the worlds 2nd Netzero solar powered environmentally friendly McDonalds like this one maybe in Levineland or 2nd Ward.  Okay we can go with a slightly smaller model and no drive thru. 

McDonald’s Unveils Net Zero Energy-Designed Restaurant at Walt Disney World Resort

mcdonald's unveils net zero energy restaurant at disney world resort (designboom.com)

McDonald's new restaurant is 100% solar powered (fastcompany.com)

not opened for in house dining so I went through the drive through and parked and walked around a bit.  and I had a chocolate shake with a paper straw (LOL) for those interested . 

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0815.JPG

IMG_0811 (2).JPG

IMG_0812 (2).JPG

• Like 4

today touring around Palm Beach County FL and West Palm Beach's tallest buildings are  STALLED OUT.  You think we have problems with 2 stalled out hotels uptown and unused brand new parking garage with unknown problems.  Check this out my photos and the accompanying story.

Construction halted on tallest buildings in Palm Beach County | WTVX (cw34.com)      

hmm residential which is the shorter tower is booming here in south Florida so not sure what he is saying about that.

My photos today.

IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

• Thanks 1