Learning from Other Places

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 10:44 PM, smeagolsfree said:

This is the two mile view with a new 380’  4 blocks south proposed and a 20 story just completed, Not getting into a competition by any means, but the density runs over 30 blocks from the river and a good 10 blocks wide now. I did send KH Burg a list of proposed and Under Construction buildings and of course all will not be built but the track record right now is running about 80%. We now have about 100 buildings from 10 stories up proposed, but that is now starting on the East bank of the river with around 3 billion in construction planned there, with more being announced monthly with the announcement of the Oracle Campus, and the continued build out of the Nashville Yards development.

Seventy Five buildings either completed or under construction of 10 to 45 stories in the last 7 years.

It just seems folks love to put Nashville down or belittle the city but it seems we are here to stay. I have always had the utmost respect for Charlotte and the board, so a little respect. Photo below courtesy of Amar.

450772A9-E2F6-467C-911D-9A588EC3AC33.png

Ok yes, I see buildings.  But there is no cohesiveness to any of them. Im indifferent regarding Nashville, but if this is what Charlotte competition looks like. Ha! In fact, it's somewhat beneath Charlotte to be concerned with Nashville. The only similarity is that both cities are in the South.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Having just spent a week in Denver, where I had hoped to attend the MLB ASG(long sad story), I think there's some learning to be done from their current economy and also from their transportation work.

Regarding the economy my observation is they were flying closer to the sun than Charlotte but more importantly, as pointed out to me by @KJHburg(many thanks!), their economy was highly dependent on one sector which happened to take a hit at the same time as covid striking. In their case they have a lot of oil and gas outfits taking up office space along with all the companies that rely on those businesses and with the current downturn in that sector they were really hammered. Imagine if instead it had been the banking sector being decimated at the same time covid struck?

<Side rant on>

Given the idiot politicians in neighbor states ranting like rabid dogs about vaccines and in turn driving very low vaccinated levels in their states (go Tennessee we knew you could prove again what idiots you are!) we may get a covid phase 2 Delta variant to actually experience that! ;-(. I think any persons from TN visiting other states should be required to quarantine under penalty of arrest.

<Side rant off>

I assume Charlotte would've been hit even harder and downtown might take decades to recover. This isn't any great observation but what exactly is the city doing to drive expansion into another sector, what sector is it, and what has the progress been in the last 5 years?

Regarding transportation they've somehow pulled off obtaining the funding to bury a large section of I70 to the East while reconnecting a couple of neighborhoods with a park like area above the buried section. Here is a project overview: https://www.codot.gov/projects/i70east .

I drove by the project and it's massive and really dusty. It's the dry season there which doesn't help either.

How did they get this funding and what mistakes can we avoid from studying their project should be analyzed and a study published. I know one mistake, since it was the focus of a Denver Post article while I was there, is they have funds earmarked for moving people temporarily due to noise but didn't plan on mitigating the dust (or moving people for that too) which is really hitting some folks hard.

I wish NCDOT would study their project and get the plans in to bury 277 ASAP. But no, We'll instead miss out on what's being described as a once in a generation federal transportation budget.

BTW, wrt to the learning in general, the city does periodically study others, including sending the council out to meet with them. I've never seen a report after which includes concrete things learned that will affect projects x,y,z. Maybe I just missed it though? In my business you don't go on an expensive trip without authoring a detailed report afterwards showing the money was indeed well spent by incorporating that learning into current projects back home. Which it nearly always was!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Exactly to my point, always the snide little comments from the  people that have never been here. Always being put down by some folks from Charlotte and this has been going on since I have been on the board starting in 2005. Always a competition between Charlotte and everyone else. Well, Charlotte and Nashville just got left sitting in the dust by Austin! You probably have never been here and I will give you a personal tour of the Nashville when you come! We have our flaws, but there is a lot happening to overcome those flaws.

Everyone needs to get out and visit other cities. I have made several trip to Charlotte and enjoyed myself, but I do not degrade a city I visit publicly, but I do as per the title of this thread learn from other places as should you. Charlotte has a very nice and clean downtown, but very new.  The difference between Nashville and Charlotte is there is a certain level of old grittiness in Nashville that is not in Charlotte, especially, in the historic district and we are complaining we are losing way too many older buildings. We are going to lose more because of the Christmas day bombing is seems as there are four that do not seem to be able to be saved.

In the last ten years I have visited the following cities, Atlanta, Albuquerque, Austin, Boston, Cincinnati, Columbus, Des Moines,  Dallas, Greenville SC, San Antonio, Indianapolis, Buffalo, Cleveland, St Louis, Omaha, Kansas City, Denver, NYC, Phoenix, Memphis, New Orleans,  Raleigh, Washington DC, Winston Salem, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Birmingham, and numerous smaller cities. When I say visit, I get out and walk and drive the gut of the  city and study them, look to the quirky neighborhoods, study the architecture, talk to people, and enjoy myself! I always try to see the good in a city. Yes there are a few places I do not like and I would never move to but those are mostly for personal reasons.

I am sad for many of the rust belt cities that are in a state of decay at the expense of the southern cities. If you have not been to some of those cities you need to go and see some of those changes as many are barely holding on and some are making some exciting changes. So never put down another city, as you never know when you are going to be in a bad state of affairs and on the dirty end of the stick.

Charlotte and Nashville are as different as oil and water imo. Charlotte is a business city and a place people raise their children in. Nashville is the Country Music destination of planet Earth! I keep hoping that one of those Country music awards shows might move to Charlotte just for one year. Maybe Nascar fits into the awards show somehow. So yes, Nashville has plenty for other cities to envy. But imo, it's not the skyline. (Btw, I have been to Nashville a handful of times.) I don't always feel welcome though because it's such a red state and I can smell bigotry and racism miles away.

It's good you've had the opportunity to visit so many great cities.

My list?

Atlanta Tampa Miami Nashville, New Orleans, Houston, San Antonio,Dallas, Chicago, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, lived in DC briefly, lived in Philly for 10yrs, the city not the burbs. 

Baltimore, NYC, Boston, Denver, Detroit, Minneapolis, Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Diego, L.A. The SF bay area, Portland, Seattle, Orlando, Cleveland and Toronto. Oh and Quebec. London, Rio De Jeneiro, Charleston SC, Jacksonville FL, 

23 hours ago, KJHburg said:

As I have said before lets make Charlotte the best city it can be and dittos for Nashville and Raleigh and Austin.

speaking of the Texas Capital city

Austin, Texas 4K Drone Footage | Downtown/UT Campus 2021 - YouTube

Agree. Those of us who live in/are fans of the cities you mention ... we are, essentially, "all in this effort" together.

Strong drone footage of Austin. I had seen previously and just watched a bit more. Thanks for posting.

• Like 2

Meanwhile in our capital city of Raleigh the 33 story Walter apartment tower is topping out.  the 4th tallest in the city (about the height of Lowes Tech tower) but the tallest building in suburban Raleigh in the North Hills Midtown area. 

Smallwood on Instagram: “Walter at North Hills in Raleigh, NC is reaching for new heights as we near the topping out of the structure in August! With unmatched…”

Walter - North Hills (visitnorthhills.com)

• Like 4

On 7/22/2021 at 3:35 PM, KJHburg said:

attention local architects we need one of these a swimming pool connected 2 high rises like this one in London.  (and our swimming season is a lot longer here)\

HAL Architects designs 'swimmable bridge' that connects two residential buildings | Building Design + Construction (bdcnetwork.com)

Austin is developing a very impressive skyline! Im not sure where they are getting their architects from but Charlotte could use some of the flair Austin has. 

I expected to see more cranes though. I guess building has slowed there somewhat?

Thanks for the awesome link!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this from Raleigh is getting national recognition. the new Downtown South project.  (actually it is separated from downtown Raleigh by a fairly large residential neighborhood) but it would be a southern gateway to downtown.  Anyway it is a good plan.

10 Design reveals plan to revitalize downtown Raleigh | News | Archinect

Home | Downtown South (visitdowntownsouth.com)

Kane Realty which is the most prolific developer in Raleigh is behind it.  To me it is like a North Hills Midtown but on the south side of the city.  

• Like 1

In regional news Oracle will build an almost 6000 person campus across the river from downtown Nashville.

""Newly disclosed state records reveal exactly how many jobs Oracle Corp. committed to create in Nashville in exchange for a $65 million incentive, cementing the recruitment as the largest economic development deal in Tennessee history. Oracle (NYSE: ORCL) pledged 5,989 jobs at its forthcoming waterfront office campus on the East Bank of the Cumberland River, according to documents made public at the Sept. 7 meeting of the state Funding Board. The board unanimously approved the $65 million grant; board approval is a necessary step before a state grant can become official.  Oracle will invest $1.35 billion to create its campus, according to the newly public state records. That's a larger and more specific price tag than the $1.2 billion mark company representatives cited earlier this year, noting that Oracle "expected to exceed" that threshold.

For state grants, companies usually commit to figures that are slightly less than what they actually expect to reach. That's because state law mandates "clawback" provisions that require companies to refund some amount of aid if they fall a certain percentage short of their pledges. Oracle has until Dec. 31, 2029, to reach at least 90% of its job target before any clawback might be enforced, said Bob Rolfe, commissioner of the state Department of Economic and Community Development. Oracle will submit an annual update on its progress for the life of the grant. That 2029 date is a new marker in Oracle's hiring timeline. Previously, executives have said they expect to have about 2,500 jobs in Nashville by the end of 2027. They also said they expect that headcount to reach 8,500 people by the end of 2031.  Oracle's $65 million grant is among the largest in state history, equaling what Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq: AMZN) received for its announced 5,000 office jobs at downtown's Nashville Yards mixed-use development.  "The economic impact is off the charts," Rolfe said of Oracle. "They'll be spending about $1.4 billion. This is an ROI [return on investment] that, gosh — probably inside of a couple of years, we'll have recaptured our outlay of $65 million."  The company paid $253.7 million for 65 acres of land on the East Bank three months ago.   Oracle plans to build three office buildings at River North, but not all at once, Rolfe said. Construction on the first one is set to start early next year, resulting in a 500,000-square-foot building. Construction on the second office building could begin in 2025, with work on the third one starting in 2028 or earlier. As the Business Journal reported earlier this month, Oracle has scouted options for as much as 100,000 square feet or more of interim office space downtown while its first buildings rise at River North.  Oracle's average hourly wage will be $54.92, according to state documents presented at the Sept. 7 meeting. That's in line with Oracle's previously announced average annual wage of $110,000.""

Oracle likes riverfront locations since moving their HQ from California they are on the river south of downtown Austin now this riverfront campus. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3