Learning from Other Places

On 10/6/2021 at 6:56 PM, Desert Power said:

Was quite surprised how dead both Ft Worth and Dallas downtowns felt. Both are obviously very beautiful, but just little to no activity while I was there. I had a nice lunch at a latin american place right across the street from the freeway cap park. Just not a lot of people out and about. Likewise, Ft Worth has some really cool buildings with a mix of historic, but felt like their Main St was less active than even Columbia, SC.

Stockyards in Ft Worth were a different story. That place was hopping.

Overall I was pretty impressed with the infrastructure though. Seems like they have invested a lot in their highways which support such a sprawling mass of single family homes. Driving around the area was pretty easy.

Looking through my phone, I realized I actually got some decent pictures of the buildings in Ft Worth:

20211004_144053.jpg

20211004_144252.jpg

20211004_145049.jpg

20211004_144613.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Can't wait to go see this next year in Houston.   Post Houston the old post office converted to a food hall, offices and a huge skylawn with fantastic views of the skyline.

Check it out and it just opened today! 

https://www.posthtx.com/

more on the skylawn  on the rooftop. 

https://www.posthtx.com/skylawn

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

things we can learn from Greenville NC home of ECU this new container park going up.  Lets see RTP has one,  Wilmington has one, but not really Charlotte.  This is in a new arts district and the containers were just being put into place when I was there last week.  

check it out on the contractors website 

General 1 — B E Singleton & Sons

IMG_5161.JPG

IMG_5162 (1).JPG

IMG_5163 (1).JPG

IMG_5164 (1).JPG

IMG_5165 (1).JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, navigator319 said:

Time for charlotte to follow MIA and stomp these out.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/miami-commissioners-vote-to-end-scooter-program/

So we can further encourage more single occupant vehicles on the roads? Nope, nope , and nope! The Miami officials will be reversing this bad idea...

Edited by kayman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Scooters can be a Blessing and A Curse!

Nashville reversed the number of scooters they had on the streets to a more manageable number. At one time, I think there were over 10,000 and now I think there are about 5,000. The biggest problem we have is that they are on the already congested sidewalks in the busiest parts of town or in the middle of traffic in the busiest parts of town drawing fire from the residents and Metro officials. There have been a number of deaths and serious injuries due to these things. 

The scooters can be a good thing as in our case it keeps the number of Uber & Lyft vehicles down in the core as folks can just get on one and ride the ten blocks to where they need to go, but they may have had 10 beers when they do it. Big Big Problem!

The biggest issue we have are the thousands of tourists we have coming to town never have been on one, thinking they are all the sudden experts and disregarding all of the rules. There are limited bike lanes in our downtown district due to the narrow streets, but the greenways are there and they are still are not being utilized by the scooters. One of the biggest issues we have too are double riding and under age riding, not to mention all of the "Tranportainment" vehicles that are roaming the streets. That's a whole other issue that is causing the worms to turn into snakes all over town. Drunks falling off into traffic in that case!

Metro has also replaced e-bikes with the regular rental bikes but have yet to allow them on the Greenways but a bill is pending on that.  They sort of put the cart in front of the horse on that one.

• Like 4

This is a very interesting building proposed in Atlanta a 733 foot tall 61 story office and apartment tower by Rockerfeller Group.  The have the apartment on the top floors and office below but some levels of parking hidden by a row of 2 story apartments.  Like this concept and the amount of office space is moderate.

First look: Atlanta's tallest skyscraper proposal in years unveiled | Urbanize Atlanta

in other Atlanta news I see Georgia has adopted the ICC building codes in terms of timber buildings and they can now build up to 18 stories now.

Has NC done this some of you architects?  I know we have a couple of smaller timber buildings proposed in Raleigh and Durham by Kane and Hines respectively. 

• Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 1:01 PM, Desert Power said:

Looking through my phone, I realized I actually got some decent pictures of the buildings in Ft Worth:

20211004_144252.jpg

While not as elaborate I feel the Treloar House could easily put off this sort of vibe if it was actually cared for. All Levine has to do is pull his head out of its long-time home. 

• Like 3

From Raleigh and its Dix Park the site it bought from the state. (and they did buy it as they wanted the state to give it to them but the state said no)

::RALEIGH TO DECIDE DIX PARK NAMING RIGHTS: In recognition of a $10 million gift from Pat and Tom Gipson for Dorothea Dix Park, the Raleigh City Council is set to decide naming rights for a portion of the park.  The Gipsons gifted the money to the Dix Park Conservancy for the benefit of the Play Plaza project. At its regularly scheduled meeting on Dec. 7, the City Council will hold a public hearing for comments on a proposal to name the Play Plaza project at Dorothea Dix Park the “Gipson Play Plaza.”   Tom Gipson is a luxury homebuilder in the Triangle area.  The Play Plaza is part of the larger plan to re-create Dix Park into a destination location.""

from the Triangle Biz Journal

If you have not seen this park check it out next time you are in the Capital City it is huge and just starting to get developed as a park. 

• Like 2

I was there on Friday and it has a Christmas light show now. The buildings from the time of a hospital and Health and Human Services facilities are still in use but with limited life span. Naming is needed as the largest open grassy space is called "Big Field" :tw_lol:

Adjacent to the Dix Property is the Farmers Market, the best in NC to my opinion. Nahunta Ham, fish frying, vegetables and farm goods of all kinds, several times larger than Asheville and Charlotte.

• Like 2

Learning from other places NC edition especially the Triangle including Durham, Cary and Raleigh.  Last week. 

1. 2. Great public buildings in Durham including their new Police HQ but this is their new central library.  Can't wait our masterpiece in Charlotte. 

3. Great streetscape of tall buildings and smaller buildings.  Even One City Center to right replaced some crumbling facades with new ones to minic the old. 

4. Lots of older buildings in downtown reused. 

5.6. New urban park in downtown Cary  this is a great one being built.   watch the video it is great park Downtown Park Project History | Town of Cary

7.8 well a NC developer who can save a historical facade and incorporate it into their new development.   The Dillon downtown Raleigh. 

9/10. downtown Raleigh from the Dillon's sky lobby and deck.

11. Capital Club historic building downtown Raleigh 

12. great wayfinding maps in downtown Raleigh

13.14.  Historic Briggs Hardware building from 1872 downtown and adjacent row of smaller buildings.  this is what Uptown Charlotte is missing except in a very places like Latta Arcade, some on N Tryon at 5th near Ri Ra. 

IMG_5988.JPG

IMG_5989.JPG

IMG_5996.JPG

IMG_6008.JPG

IMG_6057.JPG

IMG_6069.JPG

IMG_6170.JPG

IMG_6172.JPG

IMG_6180.JPG

IMG_6185.JPG

IMG_6200.JPG

IMG_6206.JPG

IMG_6219.JPG

IMG_6220.JPG

• Like 3

Some perspectives from eastern NC from Raleigh to Elizabeth City to Edenton (one of NC's colonial capitals)   Get to know your state if you haven't already.

Learn to work with your strengths.  Make your downtowns where people want to go and shop and dine like in all 3 cities (more dining in downtown Raleigh less shopping)

Last 3 photos downtown Elizabeth City last trip here not as much going on but this time noticed a brewery, restaurants, high rise is an apartment tower now.  

Middle range of  photos all from Edenton one of NC's colonial capitals.  History preserved in every part of downtown both residential and commercial and right on the Albemarle Sound. 

First  sunnier photos back in Raleigh  first 2 Raleigh photos North Hills (talk about density 35 story new apartment tower at North Hills)  2 shots of the Raleigh Iron Works.  Raleigh never had much manufacturing like Charlotte but what little they have they are preserving.  Like this the old Peden steel mill.  this is fantastic project.  Raleigh Iron Works   Next photo while uptown Charlotte waits for a Publix downtown Raleigh has one in Peace at Smoky Hollow.  Smoky Hollow (smokyhollowraleigh.com) Last photos show Raleigh skyline and new crane is for 20 story 400H mixed used tower.   Last photo leaving Raleigh for now.....  somehow UP put these in the opposite order I loaded them into UP. 

IMG_7109.JPG

IMG_7085.JPG

IMG_7084.JPG

IMG_7057.JPG

IMG_7050.JPG

IMG_7045.JPG

IMG_7038.JPG

IMG_7028.JPG

IMG_7000.JPG

IMG_6999.JPG

IMG_6978.JPG

IMG_6976.JPG

IMG_6975.JPG

IMG_6973.JPG

IMG_6965.JPG

IMG_6964.JPG

IMG_6957.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

1920s Pine State Creamery building will be saved and new 32 story apartment tower to be built behind it in Raleigh's Glenwood South area of downtown.

"""For roughly one hundred years, the Creamery building has overlooked Raleigh’s Glenwood South. Now, a New York developer plans to begin work next summer to add a pair of mixed-use towers at the site.  Turnbridge Equities is aiming to break ground on the development with plans calling for the addition of a 32-story residential tower and 20-story office tower totaling around 976,000 square feet of space combined. The developer has committed to preserving the historic structure that currently sits at the corner of Glenwood Avenue and Tucker Street.  Turnbridge Equities Managing Director Jason Davis said he hopes to see work completed by the end of 2024. ""

we don't see what I highlighted in BOLD happen a lot here in Charlotte.   We need to do more of this. 

“As a city ((speaking of Raleigh)) , we've always been a small town but our infrastructure has become (fit for) a not-so-small city, and we're becoming a not-so-small city,” Belledin said. “For Raleigh the challenge is: how do we keep the quirkiness of it and grow in a way that we don't lose what we have today? On Glenwood, so many of the old buildings have come down. So to lose the Creamery would be to lose that whole stretch on Glenwood.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/12/20/turnbridge-equities-creamery-building-construction.html

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 11:24 AM, KJHburg said:

1920s Pine State Creamery building will be saved and new 32 story apartment tower to be built behind it in Raleigh's Glenwood South area of downtown.

"""For roughly one hundred years, the Creamery building has overlooked Raleigh’s Glenwood South. Now, a New York developer plans to begin work next summer to add a pair of mixed-use towers at the site.  Turnbridge Equities is aiming to break ground on the development with plans calling for the addition of a 32-story residential tower and 20-story office tower totaling around 976,000 square feet of space combined. The developer has committed to preserving the historic structure that currently sits at the corner of Glenwood Avenue and Tucker Street.  Turnbridge Equities Managing Director Jason Davis said he hopes to see work completed by the end of 2024. ""

we don't see what I highlighted in BOLD happen a lot here in Charlotte.   We need to do more of this. 

“As a city ((speaking of Raleigh)) , we've always been a small town but our infrastructure has become (fit for) a not-so-small city, and we're becoming a not-so-small city,” Belledin said. “For Raleigh the challenge is: how do we keep the quirkiness of it and grow in a way that we don't lose what we have today? On Glenwood, so many of the old buildings have come down. So to lose the Creamery would be to lose that whole stretch on Glenwood.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/12/20/turnbridge-equities-creamery-building-construction.html

Not only that, there's a planned 20 story tower in the Warehouse District that will save 2 historic brick buildings from destruction--instead the tower will be built behind the buildings. The Raleigh Union Station Bus Station Tower (RUSBUS) will also maintain some of the brick work from the old warehouses as well. Let's face it Raleigh doesn't have many historic structures so every bit saved counts. 

• Like 1