Learning from Other Places

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Stopping in Nashville on my epic road trip in September and will be sure to blow up the UP there with photos! 

You should have plenty to take pictures of. Right now, I think there are 51 tower cranes up with at least three more basses ready for instillation, but as some go up some come down. We should have a bunch of starts in the next three months.

Let's meet up for coffee, I am sure Mark is available too. You will be in Marks neighborhood if visiting Belmont like usual.

• Like 2

Denver 1920 vs 1970

Hearts my heart and I never been to Denver nor have any interest in it (purely because there’s too many places in the world it’s hard to care about everywhere. Nothing personal) But yeesh it’s just painful to see. 

7F877B8C-CEED-4E84-A528-51EE2E64B181.png.aab1646e7fcf5632da5c0a9d8240edf2.pngB366BA21-8037-4BC3-AB5B-32D3816DD317.jpeg.de8af06fcb32aeb4bca96d7678d94e6a.jpeg

Washington DC almost got smashed by the bulldozer, luckily residents fought very hard and Metro was built instead of highways. Here’s the highways that were proposed:

(The highway going into the heart of DC is underground) 

58587408-41B4-4913-96BF-20DB1F80F329.png.02b9949b7f286e19bd8debb6d8a704cf.png

Below is a map of DC for those not familiar. The city went fairly unscathed by highways. B8CFC17A-EBD9-4C26-9992-4F0E5714D561.jpeg.674a8c21c8c4f53983fdc1b38c76ea9a.jpeg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Denver 1920 vs 1970

Hearts my heart and I never been to Denver nor have any interest in it (purely because there’s too many places in the world it’s hard to care about everywhere. Nothing personal) But yeesh it’s just painful to see. 

7F877B8C-CEED-4E84-A528-51EE2E64B181.png.aab1646e7fcf5632da5c0a9d8240edf2.pngB366BA21-8037-4BC3-AB5B-32D3816DD317.jpeg.de8af06fcb32aeb4bca96d7678d94e6a.jpeg

Washington DC almost got smashed by the bulldozer, luckily residents fought very hard and Metro was built instead of highways. Here’s the highways that were proposed:

(The highway going into the heart of DC is underground) 

58587408-41B4-4913-96BF-20DB1F80F329.png.02b9949b7f286e19bd8debb6d8a704cf.png

Below is a map of DC for those not familiar. The city went fairly unscathed by highways. B8CFC17A-EBD9-4C26-9992-4F0E5714D561.jpeg.674a8c21c8c4f53983fdc1b38c76ea9a.jpeg

I feel your pain. I have been to Denver a few times and they have saved more than you think as their preservation started in the 1970's, but they did demo a lot of buildings.

Here is a shot of the same area now.

denver shot.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Does anyone know of a map like this for Charlotte?   This shows the ages of buildings built by decades.  This one of Raleigh shows how small Raleigh once was especially before 1940s?

https://develop.dtraleigh.com/buildings/

Charlotte while bigger than Raleigh was still much smaller than it is today.  People often ask where are all the older neighborhoods and with the exception of Brooklyn they are mostly still there in tact we just don't have as many as a Richmond for example.   The reason we did not need them as Charlotte like Raleigh really boomed in the last 50 years not before WW 2. 

This is a great map. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

^ I think there is demand for walkable neighborhoods... the few walkable / older neighborhoods are some of the most expensive in Charlotte now because people prefer it. They are just very expensive on a price per square foot basis (think Dilworth) that most families can't afford to get into. Plus, you may need to consider budgeting for private school. This is fine for the affluent families like surgeons and investment bankers snapping up the historic bungalows and then send their kids to Providence Day School, but private school is a $25,000 per child cost most middle class families can't afford. Hence you see strong demand for these semi-walkable new suburban developments that try to replicate a Dilworth type neighborhood like Baxter Village, Waverly, Birkdale Village, Ardrey, et... that happen to be a lot cheaper to get into and try to "replicate" walkability at a more affordable price with better public schools. These new developments are still ultimately too car focused though, isolated, not off transit, and "flawed." Our central core is ringed by 1950's - 90's neighborhoods that didn't prioritize walking at all, further hurting transformation to connect walkable nodes.

Further, in a flawed system on the school front, schools like Garinger High School for NoDa and Plaza Midwood only have 10 AP classes. South Mecklenburg and Providence High have 29, Ardrey Kell has 27, Myers Park High has 26, et... so people worry about their kids and move to the suburbs where the housing is cheaper and public schools have more opportunities. Hence, you don't see as many families in NoDa compared to young people without kids (who aren't worrying about schools). Many of the families that do live in the walkable areas of the Garinger High boundaries (like Chantilly, NoDa, Plaza Midwood, Commonwealth) are NOT picking public school. The dot map confirms this... there ARE kids in Chantilly when you walk in the neighborhood... but the dot map shows literally one kid in the whole neighborhood attends Garinger. Plenty of "My kid goes to Charlotte Country Day" yard signs though. So while the affluent can have their walkable neighborhood + private school, middle class and working class families are pushed further out where the housing stock is pretty much all sprawl. If people preferred sprawl to walkability, Dilworth wouldn't require $1 million to get into, while you can go snap up a house in Matthews for $500,000 : https://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/StudentPlacement/PlanningServices/Student Dot Maps/7397_GaringerHS.pdf

Charlotte isn't unique in this regard. Manhattan's walkability makes it one of the most expensive places to live. Creates a fantastic lifestyle for the affluent that can get in. Middle class families with two kids are harder to find on Manhattan though, but plentiful in New Jersey. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

^ I think there is demand for walkable neighborhoods... the few walkable / older neighborhoods are some of the most expensive in Charlotte now because people prefer it. They are just very expensive on a price per square foot basis (think Dilworth) that most families can't afford to get into. Plus, you may need to consider budgeting for private school. This is fine for the affluent families like surgeons and investment bankers snapping up the historic bungalows and then send their kids to Providence Day School, but private school is a $25,000 per child cost most middle class families can't afford. Hence you see strong demand for these semi-walkable new suburban developments that try to replicate a Dilworth type neighborhood like Baxter Village, Waverly, Birkdale Village, Ardrey, et... that happen to be a lot cheaper to get into and try to "replicate" walkability at a more affordable price with better public schools. These new developments are still ultimately too car focused though, isolated, not off transit, and "flawed." Our central core is ringed by 1950's - 90's neighborhoods that didn't prioritize walking at all, further hurting transformation to connect walkable nodes.

Further, in a flawed system on the school front, schools like Garinger High School for NoDa and Plaza Midwood only have 10 AP classes. South Mecklenburg and Providence High have 29, Ardrey Kell has 27, Myers Park High has 26, et... so people worry about their kids and move to the suburbs where the housing is cheaper and public schools have more opportunities. Hence, you don't see as many families in NoDa compared to young people without kids (who aren't worrying about schools). Many of the families that do live in the walkable areas of the Garinger High boundaries (like Chantilly, NoDa, Plaza Midwood, Commonwealth) are NOT picking public school. The dot map confirms this... there ARE kids in Chantilly when you walk in the neighborhood... but the dot map shows literally one kid in the whole neighborhood attends Garinger. Plenty of "My kid goes to Charlotte Country Day" yard signs though. So while the affluent can have their walkable neighborhood + private school, middle class and working class families are pushed further out where the housing stock is pretty much all sprawl. If people preferred sprawl to walkability, Dilworth wouldn't require $1 million to get into, while you can go snap up a house in Matthews for $500,000 : https://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/StudentPlacement/PlanningServices/Student Dot Maps/7397_GaringerHS.pdf

Charlotte isn't unique in this regard. Manhattan's walkability makes it one of the most expensive places to live. Creates a fantastic lifestyle for the affluent that can get in. Middle class families with two kids are harder to find on Manhattan though, but plentiful in New Jersey. 

It's interesting that you brought education into this, as I was just literally (like, Sunday) talking with some friends of mine in DC, and we were all in agreement that we would send our (some of them have kids already, some on the way, most were speaking hypothetically) kids to DCPS, regardless of the school's reputation, and wouldn't necessarily leave DC proper for the suburbs just for education reasons. One of my friend's who has a 4 year old son enthusiastically said with gusto "his a** is getting on the public school bus whether he likes it or not". 

Granted I don't have an education background, but most studies I have casually perused have stated that in the long-run, private schools are essentially no better than public schools. It's true that most studies indicate that private schools have better outcomes in terms of testing scores and university enrollment, but it's difficult to quantify whether the higher test scores (and higher levels of university enrollment) are due to the private school itself, or simply because families at private schools are wealthier in general. Public school students (regardless of being in an inner-city school or suburban) actually score higher than private school students when results are adjusted for family income. Simply put, with the right home environment, kids can succeed and thrive in a public school setting, regardless of how bad a reputation said school has. 

Regarding AP, there are numerous articles and studies that question the long-term benefits and overall student success stemming from the courses:

From a Stanford article:

If you are truly interested in the subject, there’s a good teacher and you’re surrounded by other motivated students, then you’re probably going to have a good experience from taking a more advanced class. But if you’re pushed into it without good preparation and without a safety net in place at the school to help you if you get in over your head, then it may be more harmful than helpful.

Colleges don’t always accept the courses for college credit, many students end up repeating the course in college anyway, and you can run the risk of memorizing material for a test versus delving into a subject and exploring it in an enriching way. Sometimes an honors course at a high school is actually a better option for rigorous and engaging learning.

Frankly, many high-achieving high school students are really stressed out. They have a lot to do between extracurricular activities and homework and also trying to get the sleep they need. They need to be prepared for what an AP course involves. The extra tests, extra homework, on top of an already demanding schedule, can be brutal. And a very low grade on your transcript from an AP course may hurt you more in the long run than not taking an AP in that subject at all.

In NY Public Schools, you were only allowed to take an AP class if you:

1. were enrolled in a Honors level class in the subject previously and achieved a high final grade mark…I think it was a 95, and;

2. received a teacher recommendation

This essentially kept AP classes from everyone except the best and the brightest. Even to take a Honors level class in NY you had to receive a certain grade mark, and receive a teacher recommendation. 

This contrasts with my experience in NC, where it was basically a free for all, at least in my school/district. You could enroll in any class level regardless of your grade or your instructor's input. My family and I didn't know this at the time (we ignorantly thought they had the same policy as NY) so I never took AP classes because I thought I didn’t have the final marks to qualify for the classes. The only two AP classes I ended up taking were AP Spanish and AP Human Geography, both of which were offered online via the NCVPS portal. At the end of the day, my lack of AP credit overall didn’t make a difference in my final education outcomes and the UNC system failed to recognize my AP Spanish credit because it was offered online. 

I agree with you though, that there are plenty of people who leave urban, walkable areas and go to the suburbs to give their children a schooling environment that has more experiences, whether that be AP classes, band, or athletics. 

I just get frazzled (and I am not saying you believe this, it just took me back to my conversation with friends over the weekend) and irritated when rich, urban yuppies get all scared about sending their kids to an inner-city public school. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

in news from down south The Varsity in Atlanta looks at possibly redeveloping their flagship store site in Midtown.    This is a HUGE Atlanta institution 

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/varsity-development-property-restaurant-redevelopment-ideas    

I would say firstly the 2nd huge surface parking lot or approx. 2 acres could easily be redeveloped into a highrise with X number of parking spaces for their customers. The other 2 acres could be redeveloped with a huge flagship location with some parking maybe above but overall less parking since the whole Midtown area is so dense and much more walkable than in the past.  

• Like 2

Other places in this case means New York Times and featured New Jersey office park. The death of the single purpose office park, or "pastoral capitalism" features Clay Grubb. His idea is how to combine both residences and office but the first part of the article is about death of the isolated office park, separated from other business and life, to be entered and departed and with no interaction but by the drive to and from the work site.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/05/upshot/future-suburban-office-park.html

Clay Grubb, another developer, has been looking for exactly these kinds of sites: office parks with a few acres of surface parking where he could build apartments affordable to people like teachers and nurses. Multifamily housing is expensive to build, but the land now being used for suburban parking lots is cheap, so the economics can work out (if the politics do). Then build one parking garage, Mr. Grubb said, and the workers park there by day, the residents by night.

“Five years ago, we were like, ‘Oh my God, this is just going to be a gold mine, nobody in the office business sees this, nobody in the multifamily business knows how to get to it,’” said Mr. Grubb, who is now doing this in the Southeast. But it turns out, he said, “not every community wants it.”

The problem for some suburban officials: “It’ll be, ‘Oh, what do you mean we can’t just zone for single-family homes and offices? That’s our thing. That’s why we exist,’” said Tracy Hadden Loh, a researcher at the Brookings Institution. “So now it’s like an existential crisis.”

• Like 1

Raleigh like Monroe like Kannapolis like Mooresville like Salisbury has voted to allow a Social district downtown.    While in Charlotte we are studying it...... 

Raleigh's start August 15 along Fayetteville Street from the Capitol to Red Hat Amphitheater and in the Warehouse district

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Raleigh like Monroe like Kannapolis like Mooresville like Salisbury has voted to allow a Social district downtown.    While in Charlotte we are studying it...... 

Raleigh's start August 15 along Fayetteville Street from the Capitol to Red Hat Amphitheater and in the Warehouse district

According to outgoing Mayor Pro Tem Julie Eiselt, the reason why Charlotte hasn't been able to jump into the mosh pit as quickly on social districts are bc there will be over a dozen created with the enabling legislation passage.  She said that COC Council wants to do it right upon its initial passage rather than blindly rush into doing and have to amend it several times over. 

I get that as it would make sense as the scale of Charlotte is over twice the size of Raleigh and tenfold in size of its suburban jurisdictions like Monroe, Kannapolis, Mooresville. It's a lot of moving parts

26 minutes ago, kayman said:

According to outgoing Mayor Pro Tem Julie Eiselt, the reason why Charlotte hasn't been able to jump into the mosh pit as quickly on social districts are bc there will be over a dozen created with the enabling legislation passage.  She said that COC Council wants to do it right upon its initial passage rather than blindly rush into doing and have to amend it several times over. 

I get that as it would make sense as the scale of Charlotte is over twice the size of Raleigh and tenfold in size of its suburban jurisdictions like Monroe, Kannapolis, Mooresville. It's a lot of moving parts

Raleigh's first Social District is a pilot program, focus on one visible area first and see how it pans out. Next year the social district could expand and other districts could apply to get their own social district. 

• Like 4

Charlotte could have done a pilot program picked on small area like NoDa and see how it worked out.   No one said Charlotte had to roll it out in 5-7 different locations at once but could have seen how it worked out in one small neighborhood.  

• Like 3

A NoDa social district NEEDS to shut down vehicular traffic on N Davidson at least on weekends, but it's difficult to say how far you would need to block the road. If the 3-4 new projects (Herrin, Johnston Mill, Alexander St., etc.) on 36th street allow for paid parking in their decks, you could close N Davidson all the way back to Jordan Place but otherwise if you only close 34th-36th, it is just going to drive traffic onto Yadkin and Alexander which are already extremely tight on weekends. 

It is crazy how many more cars there are driving to the area than there were a few years ago and people are reckless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2022 at 7:52 AM, KJHburg said:

Charlotte could have done a pilot program picked on small area like NoDa and see how it worked out.   No one said Charlotte had to roll it out in 5-7 different locations at once but could have seen how it worked out in one small neighborhood.  

It appears the COC City Council wants to roll them all out at once rather than half stepping with a trial run.  If you want proactive stuff occurring, maybe a change the form of municipal government from council-manager to strong mayor-council of municipal government needs to be advocated by you and other citizens to the NCGA. It's obviously that the 12 person COC City Council are too fickle to act unilaterally in this major city era of Charlotte. Maybe the legislation initiative and decisionmaking power needs to be vested btwn an elected executive branch (strong mayor) along a legislative branches (COC City Council) of municipal government to the city manager to act upon. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, kayman said:

It appears the COC City Council wants to roll them all out at once rather than half stepping with a trial run.  If you want proactive stuff occurring, maybe a change the form of municipal government from council-manager to strong mayor-council of municipal government needs to be advocated by you and other citizens to the NCGA. It's obviously that the 12 person COC City Council are too fickle to act unilaterally in this major city era of Charlotte. Maybe the legislation initiative and decisionmaking power needs to be vested btwn an elected executive branch (strong mayor) along a legislative branches (COC City Council) of municipal government to the city manager to act upon. 

I haven’t heard many people advocate against changing charlottes governance before but you raise very good and interesting points. 

• Like 3

Recreation field, townhomes that house quite a few units, brand new large protected bike lane, permanent streateries, street level retail. 

2FBB91A4-CF7A-49DB-A3DC-9A17744CEBB5.jpeg.ca86cffe9035254355426caa89398bb5.jpeg

It makes me wish we could replace some single family homes & empty lots in NoDa with some more Multifamily (that don’t look super block) and expand the feel of Davidson St to other portions of NoDa

• Like 4