Learning from Other Places

This would be good to have in Charlotte and specifically the river district but really everywhere. In Oklahoma City, a defunct airport turned into the Wheeler District.

There’s a lot of urbanity to appreciate in this development. 

308E65E1-97F1-479A-809C-715245E512D7.thumb.jpeg.d98a00a1dc65ec908fd372d9c8f05906.jpeg

08E4692F-1E1C-492D-90A7-D22441707CDC.thumb.jpeg.af49f1da45aedb8a1aa9479eeceea13e.jpeg

1EF2A2D4-47BF-481C-8CCA-FCE7B846E015.thumb.jpeg.b31a99079c158501535a55505869b3e2.jpeg

780AB2C5-9B57-486E-99B7-79768FCD45F1.thumb.jpeg.273c89173e4f4e6eb5eee463dd3fd858.jpeg

40AFD502-651B-44B6-B8B7-1CFA4C6174C0.thumb.png.6054bdf522635b2f20c2c7cc93d95d07.png

904E3607-772B-4FF9-96DC-594C502CB60F.thumb.jpeg.8a594dae72fb2719a98b9a5d4cd63fcc.jpeg

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

Next month’s Music Midtown in Atlanta was just cancelled due to changes to Georgia gun laws. Its now legally impossible to prohibit guns in the festival venue (a leased city park) since prohibiting guns in the venue is a condition of most band contracts, the cancellation of the festival was required.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/music-midtown-atlanta-canceled-georgia-gun-laws-1390754/

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

This would be good to have in Charlotte and specifically the river district but really everywhere. In Oklahoma City, a defunct airport turned into the Wheeler District.

There’s a lot of urbanity to appreciate in this development. 

It is urban in a matter of speaking but is still suburban in its character. There are tons of these developments around Nashville that are Live, Work, Play and Shop in nature that are popping up in the burbs and just outside the downtown urban Nashville area. I can't say they are good because they detract from the real urban environment of what is really the downtown model. Traffic is a nightmare around these projects during rush hour because there are not enough jobs for all of the people to work in the developments.

I do see the attraction of these type of projects, but not everyone or every city is built to have this model. Nashville for one has them and is not well suited because there is no mass transit to speak of and likely will not be unless we get a mayor that has half a brain as we have had three losers in a row. OKC needs to look at more inner-city development than more sprawl and this is just what this is. When I look at the picture, I see tons of dead space that invites more homes and sprawl.

Sorry to be hyper critical, but we are seeing this in all of the surrounding suburbs, but the office buildings are still being built in the downtown area with folks commuting there. These types of developments work best as TOD's Transit Oriented Development's. I could not tell from the renderings if there was any transit with the development but looking at the website it does not appear to be the case. 

Since we do not have transit, the best thing we can do is have a highly urbanized downtown and developers seem to understand this. We are getting tons of urban projects announced. One of our posters just created a very accurate rendering that sort of went viral and the local media picked up on it. The Metro Planning dept said the numbers of buildings were very accurate with what is planned. This is more in line with what needs to happen with a city. I will just include the media link.  Even though it says Amazon is halting construction, it is reevaluating space. There are still 3000 more hires to come.  Foundation work is continuing on tower 3. The renderings do not show Germantown towers and East Bank towers proposed or under construction of which there are several. Even though the number of proposed towers was said to be 50, the actual number is closer to 100.

@NashUrbanPlanet

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

It is urban in a matter of speaking but is still suburban in its character. There are tons of these developments around Nashville that are Live, Work, Play and Shop in nature that are popping up in the burbs and just outside the downtown urban Nashville area. I can't say they are good because they detract from the real urban environment of what is really the downtown model. Traffic is a nightmare around these projects during rush hour because there are not enough jobs for all of the people to work in the developments.

I do see the attraction of these type of projects, but not everyone or every city is built to have this model. Nashville for one has them and is not well suited because there is no mass transit to speak of and likely will not be unless we get a mayor that has half a brain as we have had three losers in a row. OKC needs to look at more inner-city development than more sprawl and this is just what this is. When I look at the picture, I see tons of dead space that invites more homes and sprawl.

Sorry to be hyper critical, but we are seeing this in all of the surrounding suburbs, but the office buildings are still being built in the downtown area with folks commuting there. These types of developments work best as TOD's Transit Oriented Development's. I could not tell from the renderings if there was any transit with the development but looking at the website it does not appear to be the case. 

Since we do not have transit, the best thing we can do is have a highly urbanized downtown and developers seem to understand this. We are getting tons of urban projects announced. One of our posters just created a very accurate rendering that sort of went viral and the local media picked up on it. The Metro Planning dept said the numbers of buildings were very accurate with what is planned. This is more in line with what needs to happen with a city. I will just include the media link.  Even though it says Amazon is halting construction, it is reevaluating space. There are still 3000 more hires to come.  Foundation work is continuing on tower 3. The renderings do not show Germantown towers and East Bank towers proposed or under construction of which there are several. Even though the number of proposed towers was said to be 50, the actual number is closer to 100.

@NashUrbanPlanet

I don't think it's hyper critical at all, it's just your opinion.

But Charlotte is very suburban by nature and I assume Nashville (I've been there but a long time ago). Nashville hasn't been caught up with Charlotte yet in the downtown living. Charlotte's growth is primarily low-density sprawl. I can only imagine Nashville is the same. Charlotte & Nashville are going to be lower density auto-oriented and in the case of Charlotte, I rather the low density areas become more dense even if marginally more dense. I think the Wheeler District and the towns of Cornelius, Huntersville and Davidson located in Charlotte's primary county are good "compromises" or aspirations for lower density developments and for inner city neighborhoods to support some of these dense "suburban" live/work/play Birkdale Village type places (but with some higher density multifamily mixed in). 

Also, it depends on what you consider to be the "downtown model". I don't really see Nashville, Charlotte, etc. as being a downtown model based. The bread & butter of the two cities are having a lot of house for your $, lower taxes, etc. That is fundamentally something that can not happen with increased density (and if so, please give an example. That's not snark, but I'd be interested to know). Additionally, I would consider something more than 2 sq. miles of higher density to start considering it a "downtown" model of growth. If Charlotte and Nashville were to grow up to metropolitan areas the size of 6-10 million, I would imagine it would resemble a Houston or Atlanta. I personally consider those to be sprawly and relatively lower density (obviously "lower" density relative to their metropolitan sizes).

Some good graphs below.

image.png.f593b00154bf2ee159833a9f230e6d25.png

image.png.4fe0b5a81038dee89560110d302ca72c.png

https://ctycms.com/tn-nashville/docs/annual-residential-report-2021[2].pdf

image.png

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I do not think the Downtown Sq miles is very accurate and never has been. The urban area of what is part of most folks consider the Urban area of Nasville is roughly a 3 mile x 2 mile area and the definition is now out the door here. I think the same can be said for Charlotte as the density has spread into the South Dillworth area. There are almost as many residential buildings planned for Midtown and West End as there are the SoBro area and the Gulch.

There are now plans for the downtown to extend across the river onto the Eastbank when the new stadium is built with several large mixed-use projects in the planning stages and one under construction with mid-rise & high-rise in all. I tend to throw those stats out with the baby and the bathwater. Indianapolis is distorted as is everywhere else when we have jokers in offices trying to decide what is and is not considered downtown. Indy is now a total joke as compared to Nashville and Charlotte in the grand scheme of things. I would consider Tampa the same as Nashville and Charlotte. The lines need to be redrawn and the criteria has changed. Unfortunately, with Nashville, there are a lot of housing units that have been built downtown and the surrounding area. The problem is that the air B&B's are taking up space in 50% (a guess) of those units causing a huge problem with the numbers of residents and the State does not help by passing regulations tying the hands of the city. 

I can't put my hands on the data for rent in 2022 but in 2020 Nashville's average rent was the highest of the five mentioned here and a lot of that was because of the housing shortage and some of that is driven by the huge numbers of Air B&B's. Our numbers of residential units are distorted.

I do love to exchange info because this is truly learning from other places. Every city is different, and Nashville is so different on so many levels because of the tourism factor that just changes the dynamics here.

• Like 2

Raleigh's social district seemed quite vibrant (not crazy busy on a Thursday but bustling). Charlotte needs to figure this out. 
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_08/IMG20220818194356.thumb.jpg.7b8107a974fd743b15dec14c95db581e.jpg

Apparently they’re expected to vote on this Monday, August 22nd. Stay tuned I guess.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recently came across this announcement on the Richmond VA board of a new agriculturally based development that  is setting up shop in that metro area.  This type of economic project would be a wonderful compliment to the existing NC Research Campus in Kannapolis.  Hopefully there are more innovative projects of this type being announced and that NC, and the Charlotte region is particular, are the beneficiaries!!

https://www.valdostadailytimes.com/ap/business/plenty-building-world-s-largest-indoor-vertical-farm-campus/article_6ea0f258-c663-5235-859a-49b0a7a9088e.html

• Like 1