Learning from Other Places

55 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

Japan has a limited amount of space and so they treat land for what it’s value is there. They maximize the use of space.

While that is true another important aspect is their concept of entertainment districts. I worked in Nagasaki a lot and it's fairly rural not that far from city center. But all the business want to be in the entertainment district. Cultural or zoning or... I have no idea but the result is super nice. Most of the entertainment district there looks to have been built after the great flood of '82. I imagine it was somewhat of a green field at that point or certainly post the bomb and somehow it just clustered. My favorite bars and restaurants seated maybe 15 making it possible for the small guy to succeed as said. Great transportation via street cars, busses and ubiquitous taxis at any time feeds into it. 

• Thanks 1

street view of a station

9 hours ago, JeanClt said:

Japan has a limited amount of space and so they treat land for what it’s value is there. They maximize the use of space.

This is somewhat true in the larger sense -- we will never have a national (or even state) "primate city" on the scale of Tokyo -- but they actually have more space in the vital walksheds around transit stops, simply because their transit is so much more developed and comprehensive. In our case, we shouldn't think "we have so much land!" because we don't. We have a single line of fixed transit and the land around that should be maximally utilized to justify further investment in transit.

To illustrate, this is the radius around Bland St. Station that I'm talking about:

image.thumb.png.1bb2f30a1aa588573627bac1011ddc1f.png

To choose a more directly comparable area of a Japanese city, here's street view of a station in Sendai (pop. 1m), which features a much higher intensity around the station than Bland with a mixture of large developments, "zakkyo buildings," and lower-intensity municipal uses (e.g. a park and ride lot). The comparable map:

image.thumb.png.df82781631d95bd6849807a19a579562.png

The "bones" in the Charlotte map aren't bad. The street grid is too coarse, but that will eventually change. The biggest (and more difficult-to-fix) aspect is the granularity of development and property ownership.

8 hours ago, elrodvt said:

While that is true another important aspect is their concept of entertainment districts. I worked in Nagasaki a lot and it's fairly rural not that far from city center. But all the business want to be in the entertainment district. Cultural or zoning or... I have no idea but the result is super nice. Most of the entertainment district there looks to have been built after the great flood of '82. I imagine it was somewhat of a green field at that point or certainly post the bomb and somehow it just clustered. My favorite bars and restaurants seated maybe 15 making it possible for the small guy to succeed as said. Great transportation via street cars, busses and ubiquitous taxis at any time feeds into it. 

Clustering of businesses is somewhat cultural in the modern era -- if you look at any Asian city, there are "districts" where you go for any given thing -- but it's also historically universal. Think about NYC's "garment district," for a Western example. Even Montford Dr. could be construed as this kind of organic clustering.

Edited by asthasr
  • Like 2

"Emergent Tokyo" is a fascinating book - I learned a lot from it. I think there are a lot of lessons that can be applied to our cities, even if the end result doesn't look like Tokyo. One thing that stood out to me was how small so many of the building parcels are there. They have minimal regulations on lot size, setbacks, and lot frontage. Many plots of land have been subdivided  over and over again, resulting in an incredibly fine grain of pedestrian-oriented alleys and buildings. It's a stark contrast to how much land is wasted in American cities on pointless setbacks and buffers. I actually think that subdivision could be a great model for densifying our cities. What if, instead of building bigger buildings, we built a bunch of small buildings on the leftover spaces in our cities? New networks of rear lanes and alleys could provide the access for development of underutilized backyards, without the dramatic change to existing streetscapes in the current paradigm of teardowns.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 9:43 AM, KJHburg said:

In Atlanta an Arizona developer building a large mixed use infill community with less emphasis on cars (with a centralized parking deck even for SF homes)

https://www.cnu.org/publicsquare/2022/11/03/developer-brings-car-light-design-atlanta

I know that exact location. That's the Murphy Avenue Triangle next to the Beltline in SW Atlanta. The site was under development by Eric Kronberg (https://www.kronbergua.com/), so I'm surprised he spun it off. 

I've worked on several projects nearby such as the original Monday Night Brewing location, which is also next to the MARTA Red & Gold lines (on the elevated viaduct) across Lee Street as well.

I think we have already achieved that type of carless residential density around the LYNX Blue Line. Actually, Atlanta is ironically trying to keep up with Charlotte on that front.

Trust, I get calls from them in Atlanta all the time about how Charlotte was able to get what we have along the LYNX Blue Line. They envy us on this front. 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, kayman said:

I know that exact location. That's the Murphy Avenue Triangle next to the Beltline in SW Atlanta. The site was under development by Eric Kronberg (https://www.kronbergua.com/), so I'm surprised he spun it off. 

I've worked on several projects nearby such as the original Monday Night Brewing location, which is also next to the MARTA Red & Gold lines (on the elevated viaduct) across Lee Street as well.

I think we have already achieved that type of carless residential density around the LYNX Blue Line. Actually, Atlanta is ironically trying to keep up with Charlotte on that front.

Trust, I get calls from them in Atlanta all the time about how Charlotte was able to get what we have along the LYNX Blue Line. They envy us on this front. 

If Atlanta’s MARTA emulated Charlotte TOD (“LoSo” through NoDa) it’d be a crazy game changer.

MARTA has an exponentially better potential than the Blue Line if not the best in the country. I’d say NY, DC have the best systems followed by Chicago and then Atlanta. Atlanta needs to follow WMATA’s footsteps on TOD. Miami Metro also seems it could have better TOD. 

Nearly all of MARTA stations give me Charlotte Lynx Tyvola Station vibes. I’m not sure if land ownership is the hold up, what the deal is but man. From an outside perspective, Atlanta could be so much better to me if there stations were, well. Developed…

Charlotte definitely got the TOD right for the most part - if not one of the best Light Rail TOD’s in the country. Particularly, SouthEnd has the bones to grow into an actual urban core rather than developments directly around light rail given its grid. 

I’m definitely rooting for Atlanta to take a page from Charlotte because they have an amazing asset. 

2389A197-23EC-4D5A-B056-3A45BF5A7865.thumb.jpeg.94a7be5c1dc9d2a00a79bb0d84342c19.jpeg

005FA9D0-526A-4DA0-9567-1DC676DFFE84.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

If Atlanta’s MARTA emulated Charlotte TOD (“LoSo” through NoDa) it’d be a crazy game changer.

MARTA has an exponentially better potential than the Blue Line if not the best in the country. I’d say NY, DC have the best systems followed by Chicago and then Atlanta. Atlanta needs to follow WMATA’s footsteps on TOD. Miami Metro also seems it could have better TOD. 

Nearly all of MARTA stations give me Charlotte Lynx Tyvola Station vibes. I’m not sure if land ownership is the hold up, what the deal is but man. From an outside perspective, Atlanta could be so much better to me if there stations were, well. Developed…

Charlotte definitely got the TOD right for the most part - if not one of the best Light Rail TOD’s in the country. Particularly, SouthEnd has the bones to grow into an actual urban core rather than developments directly around light rail given its grid. 

I’m definitely rooting for Atlanta to take a page from Charlotte because they have an amazing asset. 

2389A197-23EC-4D5A-B056-3A45BF5A7865.thumb.jpeg.94a7be5c1dc9d2a00a79bb0d84342c19.jpeg

005FA9D0-526A-4DA0-9567-1DC676DFFE84.jpeg

Better than Boston?

Unsure where to put this, but this seems like the most relevant thread...

Today, after almost 20 years of planning, construction, and endless upon endless delays, the final leg of the Silver Line opened in Fairfax/Loudoun Counties in Virginia. 

I have a love/hate relationship with Metro, but today wasn't about that…although some man on the train said something like "I don't know why we are celebrating, you wouldn't celebrate a student for turning in a paper late" (like fair, though). I literally cleared out my afternoon to ride the new line, which opened for customers today at around 12:45PM. I also wanted to time the service from my house to IAD. 

I caught the S9 Limited bus from my house at 1:49PM, and was through the faregate at McPherson Sq at 2:01PM. I got on the train at 2:09PM. There was some type of issue affecting our 40+ year old railcar leaving DC…we pulled roughly 20 feet out of the station and just sat there for about 4 minutes or so. Some sections of the line we really booked it (64 mph according to my iPhone) but other parts we seemed to be going so herky-jerky and slow…especially the physical track around IAD. I'm not sure if it was just cautious operators unfamiliar with the territory, but all of that is something that could be remedied with ATO. I arrived at IAD and passed through the faregate at 3:01PM exactly, so all in all the trip took me 1h12m.

EF7CC929-2382-4971-AD8A-BC8BF24B1C5A.thumb.jpeg.7c31ed609d5414c3ef45a6c8b1f78373.jpeg

FAB49A8E-8537-4FD8-B0E7-788EF2D1F392.thumb.jpeg.11ef9875aa3f6bf21538489944ea5f62.jpeg

621A399B-EF45-4EDF-98BC-3691D284CB90.thumb.jpeg.de33a03a310ab0779811aad08d634b04.jpeg

9ED99498-DAD2-41FB-8D1A-ADB6F9DA0A0E.thumb.jpeg.1e1b8a283c56ec975c670f6bcb79396b.jpeg

7DFD7D2B-5130-4FF7-8C7D-10D49A976C86.thumb.jpeg.145e35d6a65e7d4641f4e5fa51b199f1.jpeg

0823352C-3305-46C5-BAA2-D0B05CD7A3F1.thumb.jpeg.d767e57758714359159f37a52b3913b1.jpeg

079C3386-1324-4066-B3F0-90CEE845B580.thumb.jpeg.6e600291dae9132341f9ff274d3a180a.jpeg

88E18870-0700-4FB6-A707-AB7502C6E5FF.thumb.jpeg.f3055eed22048eb78981312b7c2bcf04.jpeg

A997F205-0D56-499C-805B-D15EE0BDB164.thumb.jpeg.55cd7316890c36469f492fc1205ca2b2.jpeg

5A99EBBC-A23B-4C1C-9E6C-0549C8DB5C55.thumb.jpeg.6f42d2dfada83838ea0a5779a32276ea.jpeg

DA1B6413-EBFC-4FFE-A8E4-084B5259DC3F.thumb.jpeg.d6d1237b8b8c786a1712141e46350579.jpeg

Metro is famous for it's long escalators, which typically only exist at underground stations. I am told Dulles has the longest escalator at an elevated station. The station is odd architecturally speaking because the mezzanine level is technically underground, while the physical platforms are elevated. 

Bad wayfinding really irks my nerves, and this station really irritated me. There are absolutely no signs on the platform showing which way DC is. DCA station has platform signs saying "XXX Line Train to YYY via Downtown Washington, DC". Tourists (especially American tourists) are horrible at reading transit maps and I can just foresee the confusion to come. 

The walk from the station to the terminal isn't ideal, but it wasn't too bad. I walk really fast and have long legs and did it in about 3 minutes, but WaPo and other agencies said it was around a 5-6 minute walk. 

I was able to get some Metro swag (hand sanitizer and a Silver Line luggage tag) along with a pennant flag, which has been a Metro tradition since the system opened. 

image.thumb.png.018fb12c219f1d8b89e627987e9633b5.png

I've never been to a transit line grand opening, and it was actually really fun. The pictures don't show the crowds, but the station at Dulles was PACKED with well-wishers and folks out just checking out what their tax dollar were used for.  

With this project complete, I believe that there are only two heavy rail lines actively under construction in the US…the LA Purple Line project and the Honolulu RT project. Quite sad imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Saw photos online of a few international arriving visitors with luggage transiting to Metro at Dulles. It had been open 45 minutes or so at that point. Question was if these arrivals knew that they were among the very first to use the new line. 

The date wasn't nailed down until recently. More likely they were going to use the Silver Line Shuttle Bus thing to Whiele-Reston and had a nice surprise that Metro was open.

• Like 1

I have heard of agri-hoods new neighborhoods with farm land inside the community and one is coming to Davidson.  This is something unique an agri-apartment complex with areas to grow food in a rental apartment community in Austin.

https://www.connectcre.com/stories/outdoor-living-rental-units-going-up-in-austin/

This is a great idea for this area too on areas that may have flood plain nearby or just to preserve some open space.  

• Like 2

Once NC's largest city Wilmington and their downtown is a mix of new high rises and historical high rises and lots of smaller buildings saved.  The more I visit the more I love this city.  And yes it was 75 partly sunny today while it was foggy and cold in Charlotte in the low 50s.  Downtown Wilmington this morning and lots for Charlotte to learn about saving history or what is left here.  Still love they have a Waffle House downtown.    Downtown Wilmington is a great mix of older high rises like the Murchinson Bldg renovated by a Charlotte firm but built in 1914 and new high rise condos and apartments at River Place.  North end of the Wilmington boardwalk along the river looks like Southend with new apartment complexes but on the river or around their new park.   The streetscape downtown is wonderful.   (and that is a new tapas place going in next the Waffle House) 

IMG_7233.JPG

IMG_7234.JPG

IMG_7262.JPG

IMG_7274.JPG

IMG_7275.JPG

IMG_7292.JPG

IMG_7293.JPG

IMG_7296.JPG

IMG_7300.JPG

IMG_7301.JPG

IMG_7306.JPG

IMG_7307.JPG

IMG_7318.JPG

• Like 3

Not really anything to be “learned” per se, but WMATA announced earlier this week they plan to reintroduce both ATO and ADO on Metro next year, starting with the Red Line in late Spring, before resuming the features on other lines by Fall/early Winter 2023. 

What is most interesting about the announcement from a transit/mobility perspective is that Metro also announced that they hope to move to fully-driverless/automated operation complete with platform screen doors. Granted I’ll believe it when I see it but I don’t think any currently operating transit system in the US has made that bold of an announcement. 

Edited by LKN704

• 2 weeks later...