Learning from Other Places

On 3/4/2023 at 9:38 AM, rancenc said:

Walmart pulling out of a section of major city......this time Washington DC.  Unfortunately these types of departures usually causes "food deserts" that is lamented about!

Honestly, it seems more like gentrification. That area has been gentrifying like crazy. 

LKN704 noted Safeway & Giant but also less than a mile away is WholeFoods & Harris Teeter & Trader Joe’s. Within 1.2 miles is Union Market & Eastern Market. 

What it does highlight is changing demographics and what can we do to prevent people becoming priced out of the area. Which is a difficult answer.

The food desert topic and retailers pulling out is an issue in other parts of DC (particularly on the other side of the river). But this particular location is really a different issue in one of the 2 fastest booming areas of the city with radically different demographics than a decade ago. It’s part of the census tracts below:

732D7CD6-B4E2-43DA-A65F-5635139F2F29.thumb.png.e080be624a8b92359658d7ec34aa9c1a.png

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

On 3/4/2023 at 4:45 PM, KJHburg said:

My friend from Nashville UP @smeagolsfree sent me this list of all the towers underway or proposed in Nashville.  Its quite impressive and they will get their new tallest at 750 feet.  So our BOAT will no longer will be taller than the tallest in Tennessee.  

I will be in Nashville in late April and will document many of these.  

45 Upcoming Towers Climbing 15 to 60 Stories In Downtown Nashville. – CITY NOW NEXT

Now if they could just build some more roads, beltways, mass transit, BRT or something to move people around.  Even the intown Krispy Kreme in their Midtown is coming down. 

Thanks for posting this, Kevin. This is just the downtown list. There was one more added to the list Friday. There are 43 additional towers proposed 15 stories to 45 stories in Midtown, 4 of which are now under construction. There are also another 11 on the East bank that are proposed that are 200' plus. The exact heights are not available on all of the buildings yet and there is another cluster of three proposed that Metro gave the OK to go 39 floors.

I will say I do not expect all to get built because of the economy. There are a few in trouble! I do think at least 17 more on the total count will start by the end of the year according to my sources., including two-three tower projects. The crane for the Amazon 3 tower came down as they have stopped all construction for all of their towers right now nationwide, and the Ritz Carlton is having issues with financing. So, it is not all coming up daisies. We do have a 275-footer under construction in our Green HIlls area which will be our tallest outside of our core by about 4.5 miles.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Thanks for posting this, Kevin. This is just the downtown list. There was one more added to the list Friday. There are 43 additional towers proposed 15 stories to 45 stories in Midtown, 4 of which are now under construction. There are also another 11 on the East bank that are proposed that are 200' plus. The exact heights are not available on all of the buildings yet and there is another cluster of three proposed that Metro gave the OK to go 39 floors.

I will say I do not expect all to get built because of the economy. There are a few in trouble! I do think at least 17 more on the total count will start by the end of the year according to my sources., including two-three tower projects. The crane for the Amazon 3 tower came down as they have stopped all construction for all of their towers right now nationwide, and the Ritz Carlton is having issues with financing. So, it is not all coming up daisies. We do have a 275-footer under construction in our Green HIlls area which will be our tallest outside of our core by about 4.5 miles.

if you can get 17 towers started this year that is a major success.  we have lots of proposals too but I think most will not start this year but we will have some good starts of big towers.  (namely the Queensbridge towers) and near our Medical school and a few apartment towers.   Banks due to what has happened this weekend now may even pull back further to shore up their own finances before putting more commercial loans on their books. 

• Like 2

The two 3 tower projects that seem to be moving forward are the Congress Group project at 2nd & Peabody and the Paseo II, III, & IV which they said at an event I went to in February that they were moving forward on. Giarratana is self financing 901 MLK, and I have reliable info through other sources that hotels at 8th & Demonbreun, 7th & Commerce, The Edition in The Gulch, 123 12th Ave N all are supposed to start. 18th & Patterson just got financing along with smaller projects downtown such as the Modera SoBro, Hyatt Caption, and Phase 2 of Modera Germantown and Modera Nations. 

Financing could change everything as we all know. I have pretty good information on a lot of projects as my ear is close to the ground.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Downtown Dallas is getting 1500 new apartments in adaptive reuse projects of 1980s or older office towers. 

1.  Check this stacking chart out:  291 apartment units on lower floors, office space on some and hotel on the 49th and 50th floors.  This is a 50 story tower. 

http://www.santandertower.com/

2.   Bryan Tower will become 425 apartments.  Only 34 floors. 

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2001-Bryan-St-Dallas-TX/25052560/

3.   60 story Comerica Tower will have 150 hotel rooms, and 230 apartments and some office space.  20 floors of this office tower to hotel and apartment uses.  

https://comericabanktower.com/

https://dallasinnovates.com/downtown-dallas-60-story-comerica-bank-tower-could-get-apartments-hotel-retail/

and they have more.  Just read about these in the Dallas Biz Journal. 

>>If downtown Dallas can do this so can Charlotte as we have plenty of space available and large blocks uptown.    Maybe Center city partners needs to reach out their Dallas counterparts.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rancenc said:

Maybe OTHER places could learn from NC......at least the consensus from this article.

https://www.roi-nj.com/2023/03/23/

4 hours ago, rancenc said:

Maybe OTHER places could learn from NC......at least the consensus from this article.

https://www.roi-nj.com/2023/03/23/opinion/op-ed/making-a-state-ment-why-following-n-c-model-could-spur-economic-growth-in-n-j/

opinion/op-ed/making-a-state-ment-why-following-n-c-model-could-spur-economic-growth-in-n-j/

Well, hopefully Republicans keep power. NC democrats were vehemently opposed to those tax cuts & would most definitely raise the corporate tax rate closer to the pre tea-party tax cuts.  Even better if Cooper is voted out. His veto is the only thing standing in the way of a 0% corporate tax rate. 

Maybe MAGA will have a good year in NC and will win the governorship & get that 0% corporate tax rate. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

the best shopping street in the southeast King Street in Charleston.   The old Saks 5th Ave store then Forever 21 store now is an urban format Target.  One of these would be great for Epicenter/QC Quarter.  They have an CVS store in side of it and I think that is how they did it in Chapel Hill as well.   This is the best shopping Charleston offers basically as none of their malls can compete with this (and one is almost a dead mall anyway Citadel Mall) 

20230323_133416.jpg

20230323_133438.jpg

20230323_133515.jpg

20230323_133541.jpg

20230323_133840.jpg

20230323_133934.jpg

20230323_134030.jpg

20230323_140224.jpg

20230323_140226.jpg

20230323_140827.jpg

20230323_141019.jpg

• Like 4

You live in SW DC at the Wharf? Interesting. I've spent a lot of time there over the years, and actually biked the entire trail/pathway network from Rock Creek Park to Navy Yard along the Anacostia.

I'll be back there staying on the Wharf to meet up with a close friend from the UK in a few weeks.

Edited by kayman

1 hour ago, kayman said:

You live in SW DC at the Wharf? Interesting. I've spent a lot of time there over the years, and actually biked the entire trail/pathway network from Rock Creek Park to Navy Yard along the Anacostia.

I'll be back there staying on the Wharf to meet up with a close friend from the UK in a few weeks.

Eh. The wharf is like a block over. So not at the wharf but beside it.  I live off M & 6th SW at the “Modern on M” - it’s a tacky name but apartments these days have ridiculous names haha.

The wharf feels more busy than pre-pandemic which is nice. Especially with Phase 2 open. So. If you haven’t been recently it should be a nice surprise/addition. 

& the Union Market District is very different too since the pandemic. I live in DC and I was like “Where tf did all these buildings come from.” I disliked it when I moved here but now it’s like. A cool unique vibe for the city. Totally transformed. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Thanks 2

RTA (Cleveland) announced the proposed purchase of a singular fleet for their Red line & Green/Blue Line.

It’ll open up options for different routings on existing rails.

Currently their rail map looks like this:

87210E75-9BD4-43AB-95FF-E23FFDFC30B3.thumb.png.7e0a1abc29c98efef5e6f7cbe2e7ea78.png

With a singular rail fleet, the below are other optional routings they could do:

E218F471-D2FD-4429-866A-46BA1A70D340.thumb.jpeg.092266068a4c3a0914ce83b6c6110898.jpeg

The below is a concept of the vehicles 
64F6A19D-C7FC-47E4-9695-AA6BAF08DAE6.png.d058653df0ccae09ffc63952719fe037.png

this is the current fleet of the Red Line 

EF46A0C0-9FDD-42A7-9BC6-AEDA0EE636AE.jpeg.a3982b0f0f21f01991382ebd5907eb47.jpeg

Vs. the Blue & Green Line 

00C0CBF9-517C-4661-AAC3-89E501EB1FEE.jpeg.798d33c162a76fb0b53dc5d0be8953d4.jpeg

I wonder if CityLynx Gold Line could ever operate Plaza Midwood to SouthEnd (by merging onto the tracks at at the Hornets Arena). Obviously they’d need more equipment & staff and the schedule would be unreliable going to SouthEnd (due to vehicle traffic slowing it down). But that’d be nice, maybe? 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

On 3/31/2023 at 12:26 PM, elrodvt said:

That's nice. I wonder how an area like that came to have design standards? If it worked there why not here?

Because state law. 

This blog post summarizes what is and is not permissible under North Carolian state law, which as we know overrides local municipal desires. 

Can the City Tell Me What My New House Has to Look Like? Residential Design Standards - Coates’ Canons NC Local Government Law (unc.edu)

• Like 2

On 4/4/2023 at 6:57 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

RTA (Cleveland) announced the proposed purchase of a singular fleet for their Red line & Green/Blue Line.

It’ll open up options for different routings on existing rails.

Currently their rail map looks like this:

87210E75-9BD4-43AB-95FF-E23FFDFC30B3.thumb.png.7e0a1abc29c98efef5e6f7cbe2e7ea78.png

With a singular rail fleet, the below are other optional routings they could do:

E218F471-D2FD-4429-866A-46BA1A70D340.thumb.jpeg.092266068a4c3a0914ce83b6c6110898.jpeg

The below is a concept of the vehicles 
64F6A19D-C7FC-47E4-9695-AA6BAF08DAE6.png.d058653df0ccae09ffc63952719fe037.png

this is the current fleet of the Red Line 

EF46A0C0-9FDD-42A7-9BC6-AEDA0EE636AE.jpeg.a3982b0f0f21f01991382ebd5907eb47.jpeg

Vs. the Blue & Green Line 

00C0CBF9-517C-4661-AAC3-89E501EB1FEE.jpeg.798d33c162a76fb0b53dc5d0be8953d4.jpeg

I wonder if CityLynx Gold Line could ever operate Plaza Midwood to SouthEnd (by merging onto the tracks at at the Hornets Arena). Obviously they’d need more equipment & staff and the schedule would be unreliable going to SouthEnd (due to vehicle traffic slowing it down). But that’d be nice, maybe? 

They need uniform vehicles as the RTA Red Line is a heavy rail and the RTA Blue & Green lines are light rail. Still the vehicles have be able to swoop between the 2 different rail types. It's possible but it's a very expensive purchase to pull that off.

interesting design for this green apartment tower in Milan.  It looks like it was developed by Hines of Houston.   (and we can't even get a couple of vines to grown on a parking garage_ 

https://www.archdaily.com/777498/bosco-verticale-stefano-boeri-architetti

https://www.stefanoboeriarchitetti.net/en/project/vertical-forest/

• Like 4