Grand Bohemian Hotel – 15 Floors – 254 Rooms – Boutique Hotel

• 2 weeks later...

I think someone said a couple days ago that it's only got two (2) more floors to go.  This will be an awesome hotel accessible by Streetcar.   Anyone know what the nearest Streetcar stop will be from this hotel?

Also - what's a good total number of hotel rooms for center city Charlotte to have in order to be competitive to continually host large events?  I think Nashville and Indy have in excessive of 10,000+.  Does CLT need that?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Uptown currently has 5,281 hotel rooms compared to Downtown Indianapolis’ 4,700 and Downtown Nashville’s 7,000. 

Once EVEN, JW Marriott, Home2 Suites, Homewood Suites, InterContinental, and Grand Bohemian (all of which are under construction) are completed, Uptown will have 6,739 rooms. 

Despite having more hotel rooms than both, Nashville has never hosted an event as large as Charlotte’s DNC (and upcoming RNC) or Indianapolis’ Super Bowl. 

I'm surprised to hear that Indianapolis only has 4,700 downtown hotel rooms to our 5,281.  Given that they have  a Marriott, JW Marriott, Westin, Hyatt Regency, Omni Hotel, Hilton, Conrad by Hilton, Sheraton, and Crowne Plaza plus many more all downtown. 

Not only did they host the Superbowl, but they host Final Fours every 5 years or so. 

Having said that our 6,739 will not be too shabby at all!

Also over the Holidays I had lunch at a restaurant across the street from the Grand Bohemian site.  The street presence of it is going to be incredible! 

The drive down Church Street is becoming fairly impressive as well.  With all of the recent growth it is starting to feel more like a narrower Trade and Tryon minus retail.

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Uptown currently has 5,281 hotel rooms compared to Downtown Indianapolis’ 4,700 and Downtown Nashville’s 7,000. 

Once EVEN, JW Marriott, Home2 Suites, Homewood Suites, InterContinental, and Grand Bohemian (all of which are under construction) are completed, Uptown will have 6,739 rooms. 

Despite having more hotel rooms than both, Nashville has never hosted an event as large as Charlotte’s DNC (and upcoming RNC) or Indianapolis’ Super Bowl. 

Not sure where the 4,700 number for Indy comes from, but it's actually more in line with Nashville with 7,500 rooms.

https://www.downtownindy.org/do-business/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoDoSoPa said:

Not sure where the 4,700 number for Indy comes from, but it's actually more in line with Nashville with 7,500 rooms.

https://www.downtownindy.org/do-business/

https://www.visitindy.com/indianapolis-meeting-hotels 

This also lists 7,100 rooms, but that number is counting hotels all the way to the 465 loop it seems. 

• Like 2

I know that its on the wrong part of the block, but its nice that this block has a hotel on it again. It was a true tragedy when David Copperfield blew up Hotel Charlotte. I hope the grand bohemian is called "The Copperfield" to commemorate this horrific day in Charlotte history.

I'm enjoying these pictures because in a few months my nephew will be working in the Carillon Tower next door to the Grand Bohemian.  It's nice seeing the progress of his new hood.  But honestly, I really wish he could be working in a different tower and that, instead of new construction, we were watching renovations to turn the old Hotel Charlotte into a Grand Bohemian.  After all these years, I'm still not over losing that wonderful building.

• Like 3

On 1/18/2019 at 5:48 PM, JacksonH said:

I'm enjoying these pictures because in a few months my nephew will be working in the Carillon Tower next door to the Grand Bohemian.  It's nice seeing the progress of his new hood.  But honestly, I really wish he could be working in a different tower and that, instead of new construction, we were watching renovations to turn the old Hotel Charlotte into a Grand Bohemian.  After all these years, I'm still not over losing that wonderful building.

I hope I don't derail the thread here, but what WAS the reason Hotel Charlotte ultimately met it's end? My understanding is that it closed in 1973, and was put on the NRHP in 1979, eventually being imploded in 1988 after 15 years of neglect. Was it really that simple? Once again, I know this isn't a thread about Hotel Charlotte, but from what I've heard about it, and what I understand Grand Bohemian is all about, this new hotel stands a good chance of being a social center just as the old hotel once was. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nakers2 said:

I hope I don't derail the thread here, but what WAS the reason Hotel Charlotte ultimately met it's end? My understanding is that it closed in 1973, and was put on the NRHP in 1979, eventually being imploded in 1988 after 15 years of neglect. Was it really that simple? Once again, I know this isn't a thread about Hotel Charlotte, but from what I've heard about it, and what I understand Grand Bohemian is all about, this new hotel stands a good chance of being a social center just as the old hotel once was. 

I suspect it was a combination of being too expensive to renovate, with the mentality of"tear down the old" as well, which Charlotte of course still has. I am not sure though.