Grand Bohemian Hotel – 15 Floors – 254 Rooms – Boutique Hotel

11 hours ago, CLT> said:

Charlotte's version of Cesar's Palace comes to Trade Street... Nothing better than gilded styrofoam....

GB.thumb.jpg.d17e9c31f32c20ad960f6b57981cb05b.jpg

This is actually a nice level of detailing that we don't normally see, and the type of detail we need all over up town... but we need it to be made of real stone/concrete, etc., not EFIS. It will look ok as you're driving by, but it's not going to age well at all. Why any developer chooses EFIS for the lower 3-4 floors is a mystery to me.

2 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

I love how sprawling Atlanta’s skyline is. Hopefully in the future Charlotte can balance density with sprawling to create a perfect, massive skyline. 

We seem to be starting to, All the towers in southend will be visible from pretty far away. I can see Railyard and Dimensional Fun on my way home from work on Freedom Dr. 

4 hours ago, King of the Queen City said:

I’ve always thought it was hard to take pictures of the Atlanta skyline because it is so spread out. One over here and one over there. It is not easy to  capture all of their tallest  towers together.

BE8923FA-35E2-47D7-8020-13E5335D0E3F.thumb.jpeg.7f00efba064b7d633b84aeaf81fc3092.jpeg

E79A8A74-47C5-4889-921C-B7D1F8969CE7.thumb.jpeg.ebbece5f87a326906481369e4125ecd9.jpeg

F3D997A3-A7C2-4044-BB19-52D522834B01.thumb.jpeg.3eafcf1b78da6974dd6c7926a2592e4d.jpeg

The same can be said about Charlotte, it’s difficult to capture a skyline shot with both DEC and The Vue in the shot. I think this is a good thing, though. More spread out towers creates the illusion of a larger skyline. 

1 hour ago, TheOneRJ said:

The same can be said about Charlotte, it’s difficult to capture a skyline shot with both DEC and The Vue in the shot. I think this is a good thing, though. More spread out towers creates the illusion of a larger skyline. 

That’s true about The Vue, but it is much easier to take a skyline shot of Charlotte from various angles. A number of buildings in Atlanta look lonely, like they are sitting out by themselves somewhere. It would be nice if they had an observatory somewhere.

5 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

No. No. No. 

centralized dense core > faux density of sprawling skyline for pretty skyline pictures.

Exactly. If charlotte can continue creating a super dense, mixed-use style of building within 277 I could care less how "long" the skyline is. While Atalantas skyline has that "wow" factor, they will be playing infill catch-up for another 50 years. Meanwhile charlotte will have 200,000 residents in Uptown/Southend, making the Charlotte experience in the urban core feel like an actual city.. Plenty of housing for all income levels is very important imo though.  That in itself will either see Charlotte curve in a more Austin/Portland direction///or in a more  San Diego/Seattle direction. The key is an  uptown with streets so busy, you actually dodge the foot traffic coming towards you. That  was my experience in Philadelphia. ALWAYS something going on in Center City.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

No. No. No. 

centralized dense core > faux density of sprawling skyline for pretty skyline pictures.

While I agree that Atlanta has to work on its density quite a bit, I think you are overexagerating it a little bit. Midtown and Downtown are definitely just as every bit dense as Uptown Chalotte. 

However, Charlotte is doing an amazing job for a city of its size. Uptown definitely is a premier urban destination in the South. Hopefully its keeps getting bigger and better. Plus, ya'll are actually building tall towers.

• Like 2

Charlotte's version of Cesar's Palace comes to Trade Street... Nothing better than gilded styrofoam....

GB.thumb.jpg.d17e9c31f32c20ad960f6b57981cb05b.jpg&key=8cd09ec2c503f315fc2a308c1e3fda67dbc06ae5b6b9378270a9430947ca727a

It’s actually not all EFIS. The grooved/circle sections where the gold is inset is a sold panel. Either stone or precast I’m not sure, but they needed a small crane and closed a lane on Trade to install it on the facade mock up.