Grand Bohemian Hotel – 15 Floors – 254 Rooms – Boutique Hotel

• 2 months later...

This has been fenced off since the weeks before Christmas with literally no movement. Why they would take a lane off Church St and turn this into an eye sore for 3+ months for no reason is beyond me.

Anyway, today finally there was a tree company onsite mowing them all down. About e’ffing time some progress. Hopefully this is the start of sustained activity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Loosing green space uptown when there’s a parking lot right next to it, hrm...

Adding in better utilized and properly activated greenspace between the two buildings, hrm.
Developing on land facing trade vs. parking lot facing a intersection of three ugly parking decks, hrm.
Greenspace that was always supposed to be a hotel since 1989 (swissotel) when Carillon started construction, hrm. 

The greenspace was owned by the company that owns Carillon, the parking lot behind is owned by First Citizens. You can't do much to a 1991 building to increase its value, now if you develop a hotel on the extra land, then you increase your value 40%. 

Edited by Guest

Last time I checked we still live in a capitalist system -- much to the dismay and disapproval of many UPers...

5 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Sounds like a win all around then.

3 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Keeping green space when there's bucks to be made ? 

And in a capitalist system, anyone willing to preserve that as green space, could have offered enough money to purchase that lot over the past 30 year or so... no one stepped up.

Edited by Scribe
  • Like 1

Guys, Bohemian will be adding fantastic greenspace between the two buildings. The Greenspace that exists currently has barely any access to it, its about as usable as the green space between the Belk Parking Deck and Fairview Road at SouthPark Mall.

image.png.ffd8b68ea34468bb7107b28ab3e99c63.png

I remember sitting in Lower Manhattan and watching Occupy Wall Street at Zuccotti Park.

It was close to a zoo down there... Trash everywhere, nude people with American flag for a cape... My friend and I were wondering why didn't the police do anything - at least about the mess/littering, if not public indecency.

Then someone told us that the park was private and OWS had the permission of the owner to use the park for their protests/party. Apparently NYC rich folks know how to preserve their green spaces... more info on the park: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuccotti_Park

^^^ Actually we DO have private parks uptown.  The Green at the Ratcliffe was built by First Union/Wachovia/Wells Fargo and I am pretty sure it still owned by them.  Dittos for the Wells Fargo Plaza on S Tryon.  

As @ricky_davis_fan_21 said this site has ALWAYS been a future development site. I remember when this building (Carillon) was built. First it was going to be a hotel, then they said maybe a luxury condo tower but when Hines sold the building to KBS out of Newport Beach they quickly sold this piece of property to the Bohemian.  The park was temporary. It just lasted since 1991. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Being a capitalistic free market, it would seem we could somehow put a price on nature. 

My point exactly... but in this example no one found it worth their money to preserve. Capitalism is not about destroying nature. It is putting money where one finds value. So, the goal here is to help people see value.

• Like 1

Just my two cents on the Grand Bohemian site. I think the orientation of the hotel is for the best. Facing Charlotte's "second main street." Being on the corner of Trade and Church is probably the best option for a hotel like the Grand Bohemian with the exception of perhaps Trade and Tryon itself. It's far enough from the raucous party scene of College Street to afford business and pleasure travelers refuge from the noise and choking weekend traffic around the Epicenter, while still being close enough to give revelers a safe walking distance to bars and clubs. Not to mention proximity to business destinations and public transportation. Having the hotel on the current parking lot site would give awful views of the three parking decks to lower and upper floor guests alike, and would undoubtedly make an already gritty and dark feeling corner of uptown even more so.  This site will too be developed soon enough I imagine. Perhaps with office space, but unless those (I imagine very profitable) parking garages get some ground floor retail, or are eliminated entirely, any sort of development designed as a tourist or visitor accommodation will not go on that lot. With the Carrillion deck you have three sides flanked with decks, not exactly homey.  

• Like 3

I for one am not a huge fan of Bradford pears (they split if improperly maintained and still do if you do so properly, they're a mess, they stink and they're only pretty once a year) and wouldn't mind if they were all cut down in the city (I'm talking to you my neighbor across the street).

Going off topic for a second here. I believe I read in the CO a month ago that the city is going to cut down all of the Bradford pears that line the streets in Charlotte and replace them with something hardier over the next few years. I think the upkeep was getting too costly and they were becoming a danger to cars and pedestrians.

And, while this was greenspace, I never really found it all that inviting. To me, it just looked a good place for a homeless camp.
  • Like 1