Grand Bohemian Hotel – 15 Floors – 254 Rooms – Boutique Hotel

11 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Then we legalize the green stuff.

:tw_grin: 

I doubt the rwnj will ever do anything progressive. It'd be nice to be the first in the South to legalize. Having lived through it in CO it was a very positive experience not to mention all the tax revenue!

I’ll publicly side with [mention=17888]BullDurhamer[/mention] since no one seems to be backing him. I think the AstroTurf is hideous as well. Of course it’s not the biggest of deals, but it’s always noticeable and I don’t see how anyone could find it pleasing to look at.

I read his post sitting on a bright green golf course in the most brown/arid place imaginable, Page, Arizona. I can’t but imagine the environmental impact of keeping grass lush and green as the sprinklers dump thousands of gallons on the soil to make the grass grow. Not to mention the chemicals that are put on it to make it unnaturally green. I know Charlotte isn’t Page, but I see no issue with Astro turf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I fall firmly on the side of "Astro Turf is a joke." If you can't grow grass, just use something else. There are a thousand other nice site materials that could be used without it being the equivalent of Barbie's dream house.

Exactly xeriscape it if that is true.  To my knowledge Denver doesn't put astroturf down. Rocks, low water plants, cactus etc.. It's not rocket science. But it does cost more so it cannot happen here.

I also agree with "astroturf is a joke" and it better not be allowed in the next planning standards. Or at least require it to be beige.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I read his post sitting on a bright green golf course in the most brown/arid place imaginable, Page, Arizona. I can’t but imagine the environmental impact of keeping grass lush and green as the sprinklers dump thousands of gallons on the soil to make the grass grow. Not to mention the chemicals that are put on it to make it unnaturally green. I know Charlotte isn’t Page, but I see no issue with Astro turf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree.   Water conservation is going to become even more intense in decades to come and astro turf will grow in demand for all cities.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Durhamite said:

I have to agree.   Water conservation is going to become even more intense in decades to come and astro turf will grow in demand for all cities.

Astroturf only makes things hotter.   That's not really going to be a great solution in a warming and growing city center over time, imo.  the heat island effect should be considered here if nothing else as you stroll around Charlotte on a 100 degree August day.  

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.e668c28bd9a468020f71fdeb78b95102.png

One of my favorite Hotels uses turf the High Line Standard NYC. Too bad they are FAKING green space. Truely mind boggling. If only a city like NY could make developers to include actual green roofs.  It really doesn't protect the quality of life of those actually dwelling in these urban environments. It is contributing to global warming and is unbelievably dangerous to bare feet! 

On 6/3/2018 at 1:57 PM, Hunted said:

I’ll publicly side with @BullDurhamer since no one seems to be backing him. I think the AstroTurf is hideous as well. Of course it’s not the biggest of deals, but it’s always noticeable and I don’t see how anyone could find it pleasing to look at.

Yeah, I like the turf for high traffic areas.  Definitely better than concrete and real grass won't hold up.  I agree with the heat island comment, but I doubt this was a question of synthetic turf versus real grass.  I would be willing to bet this was a debate between concrete pavers and synthetic turf, in which case I am all for the turf.  Plenty of places have executed this well, you just need high quality turf, and proper maintenance as you do need to wet and rake it to keep it looking good.

They could have used spread out pavers or grid/checker pavers with moss in between; would have held up to foot traffic and grown without much sun. I honestly don’t expect this to be a high traffic area, it doesn’t connect anything. So I highly doubt there is a need for artificial turf over low-light-requiring ground cover.

There is, however, sustainable/responsible turf out there that also looks pretty convincing. And, due to the lack of water/chemical needs, it actually helps buildings reach LEED certification. So, yes, urban heat is a problem. But this small patch is not going to have an effect; it won’t get sun, so it won’t reflect the heat.

Not to poke the bear, but the real problem contributing to our heat island is the asphalt roads and parking lots, not this.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

The reaction to this turf is not only a reach, but extremely over-dramatic. It’s a small patch.  Charlotte has no problem with green space. The city looks like it was built in a forest in most locations. It has incorporated two big parks uptown in the past ten years full of green space. This is definetely NOT a problem at this point. 

Now if all new developments start this- Then maybe I could see the “outrage”.

Mine was sarcasm :tw_tounge_xd:

3 hours ago, AuLukey said:

They could have used spread out pavers or grid/checker pavers with moss in between; would have held up to foot traffic and grown without much sun. I honestly don’t expect this to be a high traffic area, it doesn’t connect anything. So I highly doubt there is a need for artificial turf over low-light-requiring ground cover.

There is, however, sustainable/responsible turf out there that also looks pretty convincing. And, due to the lack of water/chemical needs, it actually helps buildings reach LEED certification. So, yes, urban heat is a problem. But this small patch is not going to have an effect; it won’t get sun, so it won’t reflect the heat.

Essentially, you articulated my position perfectly (thanks!).  I would prefer the pavers and moss and I don't like the turf.  However, this is number 1,375 on the list of development problems that need to be addressed in Charlotte.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2018 at 8:47 PM, elrodvt said:

:tw_grin: 

I doubt the rwnj will ever do anything progressive. It'd be nice to be the first in the South to legalize. Having lived through it in CO it was a very positive experience not to mention all the tax revenue!

I'm "living through it" in California.  I can't tell any difference.  People were smoking marijuana before, just doing it illegally.  So basically it seems the same people are smoking, but now the state is earning money off of the sales rather than spending money on enforcement.

ya'll laugh.  this tiny patch doesn't matter. that tiny patch won't change a thing.

then you look when charlotte is fully built and wonder why so many things happened as they did.  but look at these tiny decisions that were most likely made to line somebody's pocket in the first place, but you let it fly because it's just so gosh darn exciting to have developers come in and do whatever will make them the most money.  

but it's a banking town in the era of trump in the south.  i'd really expect nothing less.   i'm guessing most of you don't even actually believe global warming is a real problem. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 5:57 PM, 11 HouseBZ said:

"...When people used to stop and watch them, Mike Mulligan and Mary Ann used to dig a little faster and a little better. The more people stopped, the faster and better they dug..."    - MM and his SS

LOVE this book growing up.  I always felt it was sad when they couldn't get her out of the hole and turned her into a freaking boiler.   But I digress.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Brendan said:

LOVE this book growing up.  I always felt it was sad when they couldn't get her out of the hole and turned her into a freaking boiler.   But I digress.

Idk, I saw some happiness in the decision to leave her down there because she was an outdated shovel by the time this happened. This gave her new purpose as a boiler instead of getting junked liked the other steam shovels. 

This book is probably the reason I enjoy watching buildings under constriction. I've got to get a new copy for my son.