Grand Bohemian Hotel – 15 Floors – 254 Rooms – Boutique Hotel

10 minutes ago, QClifer said:

where is the parking for this hotel?   doesnt look like a deck will be built from this picture

A large portion of the top 4 floors will be parking deck. What you are seeing is the BOH underground. 

image.thumb.png.fb49af12d88a8c2d37f89321fb31d7c6.png

Just now, tarhoosier said:

yea but thats not correct. lol

A tower with car elevators was once proposed here in Charlotte.  Needless to say it was never built.  At the site of the Carolina Theater a 20 story condo tower!  Maybe @ricky_davis_fan_21 was remembering this.      Though this is beyond cool I like the taller Intercontinental hotel better and the new Bohemian Hotel will be fantastic when it is done and start drawing more people down West Trade. 

CAUTION OLD NEWS BELOW:

""Economic woes have put uptown’s historic Carolina Theatre back in danger. The city has granted a sixth extension to The Pursuit Group, which has a contract to buy the site for development of a condo tower. The deal would include saving the theater, with the city kicking in tax rebates to help fund arts program. But so far Pursuit has been unable to complete financing for the Encore condo tower. The Charlotte development company’s original agreement with the city dates to January 2006, with closing set for 12 months later. Instead, 36 months have passed.  Pursuit Group President Jim Donnelly now has until July 17 to buy the site at Sixth and North Tryon streets for $ 1 million.   Pursuit Group has promised to pay an added non-refundable payment of $25,000 in return for the extra time to secure financing. That’s on top of a total of $225,000 that Pursuit has already paid to the city to keep the deal alive.  “We think this is something Charlotte needs,” Donnelly says of preserving the Carolina Theatre. “We’re as bullish about it today as we were two years ago.”  Pursuit is still negotiating for 30% of the financing needed for the proposed 20-unit luxury tower. Donnelly estimates Encore’s development costs at less than $50 million.  Pursuit has eight Encore units under contract. The condos, priced from $1.75 million to $5 million, feature an elevator system that will transport cars to garages that are built adjacent to each unit.  The elevated garages were crafted to resolve parking requirements for the site, an issue that has stymied past proposals, Donnelly says. And it’s an issue that won’t be easily resolved by a new developer, he adds. ""  from the Business Journal article Feb. 2  2009   If you are a subscriber  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2009/02/02/story5.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JBS said:

Absolutely.  I was guessing and should have been clearer.  My mistake.

Honestly its a perfectly applicable assertion. I wish you had been correct. The Carillon was built with a hotel in mind next door (Swissotel) so you'd think thered have been enough parking originally.

4 minutes ago, NCMike1990 said:

Why was the Swissotel never built?

haha I was only 4 when it was proposed. LOL. was mostly interested in sesame street and drawing back then

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, NCMike1990 said:

Why was the Swissotel never built?

I actually can take this one. My grandfather owned property that was sold to the development group ( part of which is behind the Carillon building), I believe near the current First Citizens lot. I have heard Swissotel was looking to rapidly expand in the late 80s, including an Atlanta property that was built around 1990, which is now the Westin next to Lenox Mall, until it ran into money issues and was acquired by Swiss Airlines.  Randomly that hotel was Starwood's first ever managed hotel around 2004. The company had multiple cities planned, including multiple in Florida. Basically the company ran out of $ to continue expansion. 

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I actually can take this one. My grandfather owned property that was sold to the development group ( part of which is behind the Carillon building), I believe near the current First Citizens lot. I have heard Swissotel was looking to rapidly expand in the late 80s, including an Atlanta property that was built around 1990, which is now the Westin next to Lenox Mall, until it ran into money issues and was acquired by Swiss Airlines.  Randomly that hotel was Starwood's first ever managed hotel around 2004. The company had multiple cities planned, including multiple in Florida. Basically the company ran out of $ to continue expansion. 

Thanks for the explanation. I had never even heard of the name 'Swissotel' until RDF mentioned it.

• Like 1

^^^ and Hesta Properties of Switzerland was the developer of the Carillion building and they did always plan for a hotel or condo tower on the land the Bohemian is being built on now.  So the hotel is now underway after a mere 28 year or so delay.  

Eh, better late than never

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...