Grand Bohemian Hotel – 15 Floors – 254 Rooms – Boutique Hotel

Dang, a whole year!?  Seems like they are way farther along than that (eye test).  I know the decor and rooms are a lot nicer than your average hotel and they still have windows/facade to install, which all takes time.  This project has moved at a swift pace.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

On 3/14/2019 at 2:45 PM, Urban Cowboy said:

Hmmm. That surface lot would be perfect for BB&T/Suntrust building. If you built a 900' tower (I'm dreaming, I know) on that lot it would be the focal point in the skyline.

image.thumb.png.febba5d2095baebf124267e1d146c5db.png

is the absolute ugliest thing I've ever seen. 

6 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Agree. Would never book a room that looked like that.

Looks like a room built for a Russian Oligarch. Surprised there's no carpets on the walls.

31 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

KEEP POLITICS OUT Please.

I interrupt this discussion with lunch plate at Mi Tierra in the Mercado in downtown San Antonio.

See this photo as much to do with this hotel as comments about politics don't you think?   and it was quite tasty! 

IMG_1511 (1).JPG

Sorry KJ. I don’t think any of us want this to turn into a political forum. It was just a joke that I thought was somewhat relevant since Charlotte is hosting the RNC and this hotel looks like it will be open just in time for it.

Edited by King of the Queen City
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SpiritOf76 said:

Politics aside...what of, what looks to me, a  sleeping elf in the non matching night stand ?

elf.png

Her name is Devushka, and she comes with the room if you get the upgrade package. 

1 hour ago, King of the Queen City said:

Sorry KJ. I don’t think any of us want this to turn into a political forum. It was just a joke that I thought was somewhat relevant since Charlotte is hosting the RNC and this hotel looks like it will be open just in time for it.

No problem I have just seen one little mention turn into days worth of comments and that is not what any of us come here for and  actually this  is usually a respite from that.  

I thought the lobby photos were unusual to say the least in that article.  the 9th picture is of the lobby   Maybe I am not familiar with the Argentine design LOL. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/03/19/photos-as-grand-bohemian-hits-construction.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline#g/451376/9

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While I have had high hopes for this project, I am not sure what to make of the interior design we have seen so far. I was hoping to see something more like what you might have seen in the Hotel Charlotte in the 1920s.  It seems like the Hotel Charlotte had a grandiose lobby with more modest rooms. Here is a quote from cmhpf.org regarding the Hotel Charlotte’s interior:

“Ornamentation and fine workmanship within the building are largely confined to the lobby. The lobby is entered on the west side by a flight of marble stairs. Sections of the walls are also sheathed in a black veined white marble. The lobby ceiling has large exposed beams which are supported by massive pink marble columns. The guest rooms have little noteworthy architectural ornamentation with the exception of marble thresholds and unadorned molding running the course of the rooms.”

Hotel Charlotte opened in the 1920s and the Grand Bohemian will open to kick off the 2020s.  (Pictures from cmhpf.org).

4FCF12A6-DD74-43F2-B033-25E84CDC7E1A.jpeg.aed60c45cc89306191d65c6ad914f373.jpeg

F7729B94-2EFE-40E8-A41C-39A4979617C8.jpeg.010c10d38a27c4337a975e4895b93ae4.jpeg

1920s style hotel furniture:

E1799FFC-A540-4467-BFA0-E8926E473757.png.1254a42702dfd7252ddafdd033113562.png

A quote from clture.org:

“The twelve-story building sat at the corner of Poplar and West Trade Street and was designed by nationally renowned architect W.L. Stoddart, who gave it an impressive marbled lobby and a giant mirrored ballroom. The ornamented exterior celebrated Charlotte’s role in the Revolution, with torches and hornets’ nests surrounding the date “1775” for the rumored birth of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence. Bellhops with gleaming red, black, and gold uniforms served prosperous guests lounging in the lobby, as a huge painting of Queen Charlotte loomed over the scene.”

Below are the lobby and room designs for the Grand Bohemian. Does anyone have any interior pictures of the Hotel Charlotte for  comparison? There have to be some but all I can seem to find are of the exterior.

42F47E11-E82A-4D9F-8E80-C1A1F6476018.thumb.jpeg.e10be76f5d002ef48c167e3663db14bf.jpeg

1260C7D1-13B3-4A52-A6E7-63C255A65B40.thumb.png.a90d5222626d33f24d049c1074daa370.png

• Like 2

I’m confused. Has no one looked at pics of other existing Grand Bohemian hotels? 

These renderings are extremely on brand. And this carpet looks pretty tame for them. 

They all get excellent reviews. It’ll no doubt be different and eclectic and likely insanely popular.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Bruco72 said:

I’m confused. Has no one looked at pics of other existing Grand Bohemian hotels? 

These renderings are extremely on brand. And this carpet looks pretty tame for them. 

They all get excellent reviews. It’ll no doubt be different and eclectic and likely insanely popular.

I think I was expecting the interior to be a little more similar to the Grand Bohemian in Asheville. Given, that location is inspired by the Biltmore Estate, but this location is supposed to be somewhat inspired by Hotel Charlotte.

Photos: Priceline.com

76A95C47-1F83-4C73-8625-2308157D5A56.jpeg

6E8CB042-1559-4301-ABFA-A5E8193A3507.jpeg

An additional example from The Ivey’s Hotel in Charlotte (CBJ photo):

A3150427-24F1-40B9-BD83-BD111A99BCCB.jpeg.58d7f13772be3afe9d4a13b25cbfc03d.jpeg

Edited by King of the Queen City
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually like the room design, but I'm very much over all this muted tone, everything-looks-the-same design sensation. I can see the Spanish influence (why, though?) and I see color, so it works for me.

I dunno I just think it’s 4 or 5 items past being tasteful. That vibe is highly attainable. I just think they tried way too hard, and crossed over into tacky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

image.thumb.png.febba5d2095baebf124267e1d146c5db.png

is the absolute ugliest thing I've ever seen. 

Agreed. 

There's a special place in the afterlife for the 'designers' of this and LU....

Go take a look at the Edition Times Square, a modern luxury hotel done well.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Today walk and drive bys and above shots.  I think it is a great hotel and I don't care if it Ceasars Palace meets Bellagio meets Disney decorated hotel on the inside. 

You missed the invaluable collaborator, Dolly Parton, of Dollywood Fame.