Grand Bohemian Hotel – 15 Floors – 254 Rooms – Boutique Hotel

• 2 weeks later...

1 minute ago, King of the Queen City said:

Apparently the surface lot above is actually owned by the First Presbyterian Church, as is the building at the corner of Trade & Pine. I wonder what they would want for them.

They will take money $$$ and few guaranteed spots (perpetual) in the garage (to-be built) and free weekend parking for church service.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Scribe said:

They will take money $$$ and few guaranteed spots (perpetual) in the garage (to-be built) and free weekend parking for church service.

these days I think it'd take $25M plus a developer built community center for the church, and free parking. 

St. Peter Episcopal has similar relationship with parking deck across 7th street. They also have reserved spots during the weekdays because of other church events, funerals, and so on that can draw a crowd.

37 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I think Childress Klein could pull this off someday like with ski slope Methodist church.   One day it will happen and yes free parking for Sunday events and events on weeknights will be a part of it along with new facilities for church.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

This project should be easier since it wouldn’t involve removing the existing church building (at least it better not)!  I’m not sure what plans the church might have had for that property in the past, but including parking and a community center or something as mentioned should do it. I would suggest renovating the 1920s Builders Building at the corner of Trade and Pine to be used as the community center. If someone ever did build a Hotel Charlotte replica (and I may be dreaming here), but how cool would it be for it to have an actual 1920s era neighbor right next to it?

Charlotte Agenda article on the Builder’s Building

CMHPF Survey and Research Report

8C4CFC02-BBC9-4D87-B0B3-B449B86D7A7E.jpeg

Does it have poured concrete floors like the one just demolished down the street?

Maybe we could talk Powell's Books to have a branch over here.  No book stores uptown yet.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Does it have poured concrete floors like the one just demolished down the street?

Maybe we could talk Powell's Books to have a branch over here.  No book stores uptown yet.

I would think so, but I haven’t been inside so  I can’t say for sure. I have included a physical description of the building from CMHPF. Too bad the two story arcade that was attached to the back no longer stands.  Such a shame about the building down the street. With the courthouse and the Grand Bohemian, along with the streetcar,  this part of town seemed to be shaping up as the part that would most honor Charlotte’s past. The loss of the Polk Building is very unfortunate and is one reason why we should make sure the Builders Building doesn’t meet the same fate. A book store would be a nice addition on Trade Street.

900507D1-2CE0-451D-9538-3F7F6523D478.jpeg

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

as compared to most other construction sites this hotel is always abuzz with activity.  Today the newest upscale hotel in town.  

and your bonus shot of 129 West Trade.  My mom moved into this building brand new in 1958 with Wachovia and the facade has not changed since!   

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2532 (2).JPG

I’d love to see 129 West  Trade get demolished.

Edited by SydneyCarton

8 minutes ago, DMann said:

Am I mistaken, or was 129 converted to business condos about 15 years ago?  If that is the case, what we have is what we have.

not that I know of it.  Tryon Plaza  112 S Tryon old historical building is office condos but not this one.  

• Like 1

Am I mistaken, or was 129 converted to business condos about 15 years ago?  If that is the case, what we have is what we have.

There’s an active plan to refurb the whole building. I can’t imagine someone wanting to demo this building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d love to see 129 West  Trade get demolished.

You love nyc right? It’s buildings like this one that give cities variety and texture. Shame on you.

22 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

There’s an active plan to refurb the whole building. I can’t imagine someone wanting to demo this building.

You love nyc right? It’s buildings like this one that give cities variety and texture. Shame on you.

This is the stuff I love in NYC -- not something like 129 W Trade.

Fletcher-Sinclair-Mansion-6.jpg

loc_ny_customs_real03.jpg

th.jpg

47445726072_31031867bd_o.jpg

157634204.jpg

DSC_2582.JPG

Midtown064.jpg

f59fd615ebc411_59fd615ebc44d.thumb.jpg

manhattan-municipal-building-at-1-centre-street-in-manhattan-new-york-CPCYAD.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

ansonia.png

3487.2961.jpg

ch-front1-e1456853352822.jpg

DelamarMansionExterior.jpg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is the stuff I love in NYC -- not something like 129 W Trade.

well, anything somewhat resembling those in Charlotte was lost in the 50s and 60s.  Still say shame on you. 129 W. Trade has a great texture to it.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Anyway, is a new façade part of the plan?  I always disliked that tower.