Grand Bohemian Hotel – 15 Floors – 254 Rooms – Boutique Hotel

1 minute ago, NikolaTesla said:

All it needs is a good pressure washing, possibly some sexier and more efficient windows and stellar unique signage.   

and thats basically whats planned. I'll track down the renderings I have them somewhere.

It's always weird to think but 50s/60s architecture will eventually be considered as historic and worthy of saving as buildings from the 20s etc. In a couple of decades, we may be glad 129 W Trade is still there.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I also hate the facade lol 

Edited by CLT704
Forgot the word hate like an idiot
  • Like 4

as I said my mom would recognize this building as it has not changed since the days of her Wachovia banking career back in the late 50s!  anyway this building has a place and I do think it would be a great hotel or residential tower in the absolute heart of the city.    

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

Why are you still here then?

I’m in Chapel Hill Because my wife works at Duke.  I’ve lived in NC for 11 years and will remain for the next 20 (when my wife likely will retire).  I like NC a lot, but I find NYC to be dramatically better, as do most people who visit the US from all over the world, and as do the 83 billionaires who live in Manhattan.

I also prefer San Francisco, Boston, and DC to Charlotte.  I find it odd that this disturbs you.

Edited by SydneyCarton

8 minutes ago, pgsinger said:

OFF TOPIC:  We forget that NYC also gives us these gems:  https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/market-insight/features/iconic-addresses/new-yorks-brutalism-batch-the-good-bad/3003

Not all projects are great.

If you’re comparing the Whitney,  the Guggenheim, and the Ford Foundation, which are internationally-acclaimed landmarks, to 129 W Trade Street, then I thank you for the great laugh that you provided me.

7 hours ago, CLT704 said:

It's always weird to think but 50s/60s architecture will eventually be considered as historic and worthy of saving as buildings from the 20s etc. In a couple of decades, we may be glad 129 W Trade is still there.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I also the facade lol 

I think its all relative. 50/60s in LA or Miami to me is as iconic as 20s in NY or Chicago. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pgsinger said:

Sorry, I guess that one soared over your head.  The point is that even great cities have buildings that are bad architecture.  Some of these buildings are considered awful when built because they push the boundaries of architecture.  Others are just simply bad architecture that never ages well.  There are numerous other reasons why this personal viewpoint could change over time. 

Personally, it gets tiring hearing you complain about the architecture of Manhattan versus that or Charlotte.   It is like comparing the handling of a Ferrari to that of a BMW X5.  One is in an absolute different class, and the other just happens to be great at what it is.  Just keep in mind that even Ferraris are not perfect.

To have someone with a suspect intellect make a supercilious comment is comical.  Thanks again for yet another laugh.

Further, I don’t compare Manhattan’s architecture to Charlotte’s.  I’ve said repeatedly that Charlotte’s buildings are quite impressive for a city of its stature.  If I thought otherwise, I wouldn’t make regular 140 mile trips to Charlotte.

Edited by SydneyCarton

5 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I think its all relative. 50/60s in LA or Miami to me is as iconic as 20s in NY or Chicago. 

I love Miami Beach art deco.  The colors are really something special, how they work with the water,  beach and the palm trees..its def uplifting.  I spend lots of time walking on Ocean, Collins, and Washington Ave when i am down there and enjoy all of the sights and sounds. I really like Miami Beach and Miami Metro in general. 

Edited by NikolaTesla
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Here she is in all her 1957 rendering and 1965 glory--Wachovia logo and all.

charlotte-1960.jpg

Wachovia tower 1960.jpg

Personally, I like this building. It doesn’t really look like any other building in Charlotte. 

I do wonder about the fictional 3-story building between Tilt and this building (in the rendering). Was that there before they built it and they thought they had room for it to stay there? If it is fictional, did those little buildings on the other side of Church St exist?

(sorry, off topic)

BEC65435-279E-4F37-B03C-B5C5EEF9F2FF.jpeg

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, lit said:

Personally, I like this building. It doesn’t really look like any other building in Charlotte. 

I do wonder about the fictional 3-story building between Tilt and this building (in the rendering). Was that there before they built it and they thought they had room for it to stay there? If it is fictional, did those little buildings on the other side of Church St exist?

(sorry, off topic)

BEC65435-279E-4F37-B03C-B5C5EEF9F2FF.jpeg

Thats a really good question haha. I Have no idea, I initially thought maybe they switched the two buildings around by accident, but the old hooters building isn't tall enough.  Also, yes all those buildings were there across church, they were torn down for Swissotel that never happened.

While I'm obviously in the minority, I find that tower repulsive.  The thing that always struck me is that it sits between two beautiful towers: the Carillon and the Interstate.  It's like a missing tooth on an otherwise beautiful smile. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I did not.  I responded to a comment from one of the most esteemed posters.   

I just said texture makes a city beautiful, and used your favorite city, my current home, as an example. 

Edited by Guest

42 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I just said texture makes a city beautiful, and used your favorite city, my current home, as an example. 

I guess you and I can take a joke, but some others react negatively.  To each his own.  

In addition, it's clear that we all love Charlotte.  If we didn't, we wouldn't be on this forum.  I live thirty miles from Raleigh, and I go there regularly.  However, I have no interest in reading about it or posting there, as I think it's merely ok.   

Lastly, I'm just hoping for two great designs for BB&T and Honeywell.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I guess you and I can take a joke, but some others react negatively.  To each his own.  

In addition, it's clear that we all love Charlotte.  If we didn't, we wouldn't be on this forum.  I live thirty miles from Raleigh, and I go there regularly.  However, I have no interest in reading about it or posting there, as I think it's merely ok.   

Lastly, I'm just hoping for two great designs for BB&T and Honeywell.

P.S.: Sorry if I offended you, PGSinger.  It was not intended.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1