Grand Bohemian Hotel – 15 Floors – 254 Rooms – Boutique Hotel

On 12/9/2019 at 2:25 PM, Windsurfer said:

The biggest issue for me is all the excess that gets sanded down and drifts into our storm water drains, and ultimately down the streams. That's a huge problem that can't be ignored.

This. And this building was one of the worst, if not the worst when it comes to excess Styrofoam pollution I have ever seen. You could find it 6 blocks away during construction.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/9/2019 at 2:25 PM, Windsurfer said:

The biggest issue for me is all the excess that gets sanded down and drifts into our storm water drains, and ultimately down the streams. That's a huge problem that can't be ignored.

Right. I understand that and recognize that as a problem. My comment was strictly related to the aesthetic of the building itself.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2019 at 12:36 PM, Scribe said:

In what way was the original better? Specifically when it comes to the Church St interaction.

I am glad they are getting this over with now, it will be very nice to have all that stretch of Church St have new life with the Bohemian and this remodel engaging the street!

This renovation replaces outdoor dining with indoor dining. The glass walls are already there, so the net change appears to remove people from the street. Church St will still be basically the same unless they can make the former (current?) bakery/cuban restaurant spot more visually appealing and accessible. The only way that side changes is if they remove the steps - but based on the rendering it doesn't appear they're going to do that. It would also help if they rebuilding the sidewalk and remove a few trees so the sidewalk is wide enough.  On the front, if the windows walls can be opened, then they'll do that during the 2-3 weeks a year that its nice outside, and then they'll stop doing it once the homeless people harass the customers like they do at The Daily's outdoor spot.

I don't care for the architecture at all, so from that standpoint it's going to be worse. The all-glass part of it is not bad - but the general aesthetic overall is clearly based on a contemporary interpretation of the 60's international style or architecture. It will be an improvement for floors 2-3, which currently have only very small windows and probably a wash or maybe slight loss for the ground floor from an aesthetics standpoint. 

This building, however, has always had good urban design fundamentals despite its terrible architecture, so I expect the end result won't be that bad, even if it's still ugly.

On 12/9/2019 at 1:44 PM, SydneyCarton said:

If this is what Styrofoam looks like, then I'm a strong proponent thereof!  This looks great IMO.

It looks worse in person. You can see the lines in the foam that are different from the "faux grout" lines.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 1:54 PM, Spartan said:

This renovation replaces outdoor dining with indoor dining. The glass walls are already there, so the net change appears to remove people from the street. Church St will still be basically the same unless they can make the former (current?) bakery/cuban restaurant spot more visually appealing and accessible. The only way that side changes is if they remove the steps - but based on the rendering it doesn't appear they're going to do that. It would also help if they rebuilding the sidewalk and remove a few trees so the sidewalk is wide enough.  On the front, if the windows walls can be opened, then they'll do that during the 2-3 weeks a year that its nice outside, and then they'll stop doing it once the homeless people harass the customers like they do at The Daily's outdoor spot.

I don't care for the architecture at all, so from that standpoint it's going to be worse. The all-glass part of it is not bad - but the general aesthetic overall is clearly based on a contemporary interpretation of the 60's international style or architecture. It will be an improvement for floors 2-3, which currently have only very small windows and probably a wash or maybe slight loss for the ground floor from an aesthetics standpoint. 

This building, however, has always had good urban design fundamentals despite its terrible architecture, so I expect the end result won't be that bad, even if it's still ugly.

It looks worse in person. You can see the lines in the foam that are different from the "faux grout" lines.

Thanks.  I’ll take a look the next time I’m there.  

• 2 weeks later...