Grand Bohemian Hotel – 15 Floors – 254 Rooms – Boutique Hotel

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a bit late on this discussion, but I enjoyed the debate about architecture. I tend to roll my eyes at most contemporary buildings because the ground floor design tends to be an afterthought. There aren't many examples of truly great public spaces in Charlotte, and our street level experience in Uptown (and everywhere else for that matter) reflects that. I think part of this debate gets into the purpose of architecture in an age where structural engineers and "value engineering" tends to relegate "aesthetics" as an "extra."

I think this building is above average for Charlotte. Is it world class? No - but objectively neither is Charlotte so maybe it doesn't need to be? The ground floor/street level experience is pretty good on Trade Street. I think the sidewalk experience on Trade Street is remarkably better than it used to be, there is sufficient glazing and apparent activity on the ground floor. The pocket park on the side is actually pretty cool and will have a unique view of 3rd Ward until that parking lot gets developed. The corner column is a common feature in more pedestrian friendly cities, so I don't take much issue with it.  I don't care for the materials (EFIS) along the ground floor. I think it looks cheap in a building that is otherwise reasonably attractive.

My biggest issue is the giant car entrance on Church St. It's better than the Marriott around the corner, to be sure, but it's so auto dominant that it really detracts from the building frontage on that side. IMO, you can't combine "world class" and "has a porte-cocheres for cars" in a description of a building. In a world class city, you stop your taxi/uber on the side of the street and unload on the sidewalk. You don't have a dedicated space to park your Range Rover when there are 2 streetcar stops with 2 blocks of the front door.

There are also more architectural critiques that really don't amount to much in the big picture. I like the idea of the bell tower feature, but it feels diminutive in the scale of that building for some reason. I love a good corner feature like that, so I want to like it. Feels like more of a ball than a strike. I could go on - but I think it's a net positive and solid infill building for uptown.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

The Grand Bohemian is now the #1 ranked hotel in Charlotte on TripAdvisor with a 5.0 / 5.0 average rating from 202 people: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g49022-d19414709-Reviews-Grand_Bohemian_Hotel_Charlotte_Autograph_Collection-Charlotte_North_Carolina.html

Only 9 of the 202 people have not given it a 5/5 review. 

People are obsessed with the valets and bell hops at this place. Like every review mentions Milton, Josue, and Evan. 

Excellent. I'm staycationing here next weekend. Looking forward to it. 

• Like 3