Grand Bohemian Hotel – 15 Floors – 254 Rooms – Boutique Hotel

• 2 weeks later...

It is owned (maybe as Trustees) by First Citizens.

They had big plans in 2012 for that parcel.  Here were the plans:

First citizens uptown approved plans.pdf

In general, it isn't advantageous for every spot to be developed all in one fell swoop or it won't be as dense as it could be potentially.  But at least in the case of this parcel, it is surrounded by so much, its impact is not as bad as surface lots in First and 2nd Wards where they are part of a sea of parking. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, NCMike1990 said:

Are there any plans to put in retail spaces in those parking decks? I think if they can do what was done to the 400 S. Tryon deck, it'll improve that stretch tremendously.

House of LeMond is in one of the decks. The First Citizens deck has a dry cleaner and teller window at street level. AutoPark has no retail, but because of the grade levels I struggle to see how retail could be added except along Poplar St.

• Like 1

My vision is to demolish all 4 of those parking garages and build a large underground lot to cover all areas.  Closing Church and 4th Streets for about 2 years while under construction.  The surface could be developed into 4 separate buildings, commercial or residential, or parks, though with Romare Bearden so close that is not likely.  The large underground garage could house several thousand parking spaces.

I can dream, can't I?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NCMike1990 said:

Are there any plans to put in retail spaces in those parking decks? I think if they can do what was done to the 400 S. Tryon deck, it'll improve that stretch tremendously.

The retail space at 300S tryon deck has been sitting empty for a long time now. Hard to imagine they cannot rent that location.

17 minutes ago, DMann said:

My vision is to demolish all 4 of those parking garages and build a large underground lot to cover all areas.  Closing Church and 4th Streets for about 2 years while under construction.  The surface could be developed into 4 separate buildings, commercial or residential, or parks, though with Romare Bearden so close that is not likely.  The large underground garage could house several thousand parking spaces.

I can dream, can't I?

Love it but keep Church closed from 4th to Stonewall. 

17 minutes ago, DMann said:

I can dream, can't I?

I think the soil is still pretty impenetrable over there unfortunately, hence all the above ground decks

Didn't they experiment with small Nuclear bombs to clear rocks out in the 50's? Would NC environmental dept complain?

I’m sure it’ll all go one day anyway, eventually the land price will be attractive enough to sell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, dubone said:

It is owned (maybe as Trustees) by First Citizens.

They had big plans in 2012 for that parcel.  Here were the plans:

First citizens uptown approved plans.pdf

In general, it isn't advantageous for every spot to be developed all in one fell swoop or it won't be as dense as it could be potentially.  But at least in the case of this parcel, it is surrounded by so much, its impact is not as bad as surface lots in First and 2nd Wards where they are part of a sea of parking. 

I agree; it's not the end of the world if one parking lot doesn't get redeveloped. Even NYC has a parking lot less than 1 block from Times Square.  Basically, the economics/market and development regulations are going to have to change in such a way that lack of on-site parking in the future isn't viewed as an issue to financing a project there.