Triangle Economic News

KJHburg

3 hours ago, DanRNC said:

If they lose all 3 of these (2 losses are looking very probable), NC really needs to re-assess their economic development group. The politics are beyond hope. NC is great at catching minnows but can reel in the big fish. 

I certainly agree with you.

There are a lot more recent examples than that I would say Cisco opening up in the RTP and the Triangle area has a good number of major home town successes like SAS and Red Hat which are more recent.  Come down and visit and look around for yourself.   Plus there is a gaming cluster of firms in Raleigh and Cary too.  

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 2:16 PM, KJHburg said:

There are a lot more recent examples than that I would say Cisco opening up in the RTP and the Triangle area has a good number of major home town successes like SAS and Red Hat which are more recent.  Come down and visit and look around for yourself.   Plus there is a gaming cluster of firms in Raleigh and Cary too.  

That’s an optimistic approach. But it’s slightly annoying the regional players are giving NC cities a run for their money (Nashville VS. Raleigh - MLS ; Austin vs. Raleigh - US Army ; Nashville vs. Charlotte - Bernstein) 

imagine if Apple & Amazon chose other southern cities (including Washington as a southern city). Atlanta, Washigton, Austin and Nashville getting the prizes would be Annoying. Particularly Nashville because they are pesky these days lol

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

Nashville and Austin have airports similar to RDU in size and traffic.  The three metros have roughly the same population. All three are state capitals. Nashville, in particular, has the advantage of being more centrally located in the U.S. Nashville does not have the total university enrollment of the Triangle or Austin, but Vandy is well-respected especially for its professional schools (medicine, law, business).  I expect the Triangle will have to contend with both Nashville and Austin for decades to come.  

The Triangle is fortunate that RDU serves so many destinations given it's not officially a hub. More than any in the southeast outside of Charlotte or Atlanta. It serves more direct flight destinations than Nashville but a few less than Austin. 

Edited by InitialD
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Justin6882 said:

Unfortunately, this is probably thud 1 of 3. It always seems that Raleigh/RTP  goes into these RFP processes half-hearted with absolutely no support from the local yocals who are always obsessed the traffic impact, the cost of living increases, destruction of their quaint Southern way of life, yadayadayada...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, InitialD said:

The Triangle is fortunate that RDU serves so many destinations given it's not officially a hub. More than any in the southeast outside of Charlotte or Atlanta. It serves more direct flight destinations than Nashville but a few less than Austin. 

That's not true if you exclude seasonal destinations from RDU as well as the cities served by Frontier fewer than 5 days a week.  In terms of destinations that are served year-round at least 5 times a week each, Nashville is ahead.

Unfortunately, this is probably thud 1 of 3. It always seems that Raleigh/RTP  goes into these RFP processes half-hearted with absolutely no support from the local yocals who are always obsessed the traffic impact, the cost of living increases, destruction of their quaint Southern way of life, yadayadayada...

Problem is, there are different communities of anti-growth zealots in the Triangle. Some of the most vocal opponents of sprawl are not natives; they have environmental concerns and couldn't care less about preserving the allegedly quaint Southern way of life. Others want to keep the Triangle distinctively Southern but would be happy to pave every acre between Siler City and Rocky Mount if only Southerners move in.  Add those to the renters who don't want to be priced out of the real estate market and you have a significant political voice in the composite, even if the motivations vary.

Edited by ctl

5 hours ago, ctl said:

That's not true if you exclude seasonal destinations from RDU as well as the cities served by Frontier fewer than 5 days a week.  In terms of destinations that are served year-round at least 5 times a week each, Nashville is ahead.

Problem is, there are different communities of anti-growth zealots in the Triangle. Some of the most vocal opponents of sprawl are not natives; they have environmental concerns and couldn't care less about preserving the allegedly quaint Southern way of life. Others want to keep the Triangle distinctively Southern but would be happy to pave every acre between Siler City and Rocky Mount if only Southerners move in.  Add those to the renters who don't want to be priced out of the real estate market and you have a significant political voice in the composite, even if the motivations vary.

Well said!

On 7/13/2018 at 5:32 PM, ctl said:

Problem is, there are different communities of anti-growth zealots in the Triangle. Some of the most vocal opponents of sprawl are not natives; they have environmental concerns and couldn't care less about preserving the allegedly quaint Southern way of life. 

This is the crux of the matter: growth is always seen as "sprawl".  Poor planning with zero vision has led to this. I still think growth (or any influx of new people/ideas) to the folks in NC is always seen as a threat. I was born there and grew up there so I know the mentality - "if it ain't NC, it ain't no good boy".  I haven't run into this in other places I have lived albeit they haven't been in the South. 

1 hour ago, DanRNC said:

This is the crux of the matter: growth is always seen as "sprawl".  Poor planning with zero vision has led to this. I still think growth (or any influx of new people/ideas) to the folks in NC is always seen as a threat. I was born there and grew up there so I know the mentality - "if it ain't NC, it ain't no good boy".  I haven't run into this in other places I have lived albeit they haven't been in the South. 

I also grew up in the area and know the mentality and you are correct; however, things have changed drastically since the 90's and that old culture is quickly getting subordinated and replaced with more progressive attitudes and approaches.

3 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

I also grew up in the area and know the mentality and you are correct; however, things have changed drastically since the 90's and that old culture is quickly getting subordinated and replaced with more progressive attitudes and approaches.

I agree that things have changed drastically inside the city limits of Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville, and perhaps Apex. I'm less convinced about the other towns or the unincorporated areas of Wake County.

I don't think it's quite that simple. If the good old boy in question is the one selling his paps old farm to a developer, then it's "property rights!"  and development is good. The nearby yokels are equally ok with it, if said development includes an Applebees or Olive Garden.  However if things start to look too progressive...running a bus line out there, lot size too small, HOA limits houses to one shed max, or 3 cars max, then yokels start to raise their eyebrows. There is a second level, sort of Cary-esque, where things can go as far as having a Starbucks and locally owned bakery in the shopping center, rows of close together townhomes of the same color  and a 'town center' that ties this all together, but even they will cry foul if you cross a line that say, creates too much traffic or invites crime...apartments and greenways that connect too well might spark concerns from this camp.  A third level, is pro development in a narrow way but doesn't get it on other levels.....they are cool with apartments and mixed use, but don't really want section 8 across the street and thinks Beasley's is better than Churches. They articulate displeasure with gentrification and love historic houses, as they bulldoze a 100 year cottage in a historic community and build their$500k  fantasy modernist mansion from recycled materials yet somehow can't afford solar panels . The yard is perfectly manicured with the weirdest plants Home Depot  has to offer, though the plants are sometimes invasive.  They chafe at any idea that they are part of any problem on a societal level. 

Mostly anti...occasionally pro...mostly pro....nobody's preference seems to encompass all the needs, all the issues, the very large picture. I suppose my point is, don't give anyone too much credit, because I see fault everywhere and in large quantities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

RDU wants to build a private corporate jet hangar. Question is, is this being done to make the area more appealing to Apple and/or Amazon?

Probably the marketing for trying to attract developers - have a feeling there wasn't much interest. 

Report: lists "Raleigh-Durham" 6th among Amazon HQ2 finalists for tech talent, 4th for tech jobs. Washington, DC and Toronto top the list followed by: 

3. New York

4. Austin

5. Boston

6. Raleigh-Durham

7. Atlanta

8. Denver

9. Baltimore

10. Dallas-Ft. Worth 

Read more: https://www.wraltechwire.com/2018/07/30/report-triangle-ranks-6th-for-tech-talent-among-hq2-contenders-4th-for-tech-jobs/

• Like 1

I don't know that I'd use the word delusional. It does seem improbable, perhaps highly improbable. On the other hand, someone in the early 1960s would have said it was delusional to think that RTP would become IBM's single-largest site. It did, even though it had little going for it at the time. 

• Like 3