Triangle Economic News

KJHburg

I would say the choices are 2 places in NC Charlotte or Raleigh Durham Cary metro.  From Triangle Biz journal today

Infosys (NYSE: INFY) is India’s second-largest IT company and is currently mulling sites for what appears to be its second 2,000-job “technology and innovation hub” in the United States. “We’re having these conversations with a number of states,” said spokeswoman Chiku Somaiya when asked about the site selection search. “But yes, Infosys is currently considering North Carolina.”

Another major Indian based tech firm HCL  is in Cary with its 1200 job expansion announced in 2014. 

Article from Triangle Biz Journal subscriber article http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/06/20/north-carolina-on-short-list-for-2-000-job-tech.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2017-06-20&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1497987780&j=78417251

• Like 1

On 6/20/2017 at 7:19 AM, DwnTwnRaleighGuy said:

Or Wake Forest...

I think the writer wants to create buzz but I think that they could just as easily move to North Hills. 

The good thing is there are a number of proposals already ready and waiting for a signature tenant so they can break ground, including a couple of site on Hillsborough that have already released renderings plus the Edison site.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Raleigh is one of the top 10 fastest growing economies beating out tech hubs Austin and San Fran. This is based on economic growth not just population growth. http://headlightdata.com/fastest-growing-large-metro-economies/

Thanks for highlighting this. I trully respect your ability to highlight the positive things happening in NC metros in an unbiased manner.

Just now, RALNATIVE said:

Thanks for highlighting this. I trully respect your ability to highlight the positive things happening in NC metros in an unbiased manner.

I want NC to prosper from Manteo to Murphy. The Triangle has so much good going on with so much job growth at high income levels it is truly incredible. 

• Like 3

Infosys to bring 2000 jobs to Wake County. This is the BIGGEST job announcement in NC in 2017 even bigger than the 1200 jobs announced by Credit Suisse. Great win for the Triangle and the state as a whole. http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/07/06/infosys-to-bring-2-000-jobs-to-wake-county.html?ana=e_trig_bn&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1499348918&j=78505701  Average pay $72K 

• Like 1

Hmm, similar to their announcement of 2,000 jobs in Indianapolis that they are planning to occupy 35,000 sq ft in an existing 36 story tower.  Hopefully they are equally urban-minded for their Raleigh plans!

For comparison sake...

• 33,000 sf available split between floors 4 and 5 of Charter Square South
  • 110,000 sf available in FNB tower
  • Highwoods conceptual Edison tower was approx. 300,000 sf

"Wake County" means that Infosys won't be going into the older part of RTP, which is Durham County. So that leaves the Wake County end of RTP, downtown Raleigh, Centennial Campus, North Hills, Weston in Cary, or an outlier. Wait and see. 

• Like 1

They will need 200,000 sq ft plus of office space with 2000 employees and that is being very conservative. Now when they start out they may lease a much smaller amount of course but I would bet they do a build to suit. I did see where in Indy they leased 35K of office space downtown but I doubt that is their final home. It is a great addition to the local economy wherever they end up in the county.    Speaking of downtown did Citrix ever decided to expand or are they mysterious anchor tenant for One Glenwood. I read they have 1/3 of their space spoken for. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, unique1rdu said:

@ DPK.  That link is from the Winston Salem Business Journal.  I will wait until someone local (Triangle Business Journal or local news, paper) reports it's going to RTP.

:rolleyes:

Right in the video at the top of the page:
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article159865089.html

Sorry to crush your hopes and dreams.

Edited by DPK

Why not downtown Durham, Raleigh or even downtown Cary? I don't think this or the next company coming to RTP is going to do anything more then continue the "suburbanization" of the area. Please let them prove me wrong. 

Also. "Radical transformation", no sign of that yet...?

Edited by DwnTwnRaleighGuy

21 minutes ago, DwnTwnRaleighGuy said:

Why not downtown Durham, Raleigh or even downtown Cary? I don't think this or the next company coming to RTP is going to do anything more then continue the "suburbanization" of the area. Please let them prove me wrong. 

Also. "Radical transformation", no sign of that yet...?

Because those areas don't have a agglomeration of tacit knowledge as RTP does. It's more efficient to have those engines to be centralized think silicon valley. They are currently hunting for a developer that will transform the area to more of a work and live area, rather than a work area. Once that happens, the rapid transformation of RTP will begin.