Triangle Economic News

KJHburg

Chapel Hill is so progressive that it's hard to develop there. Downtown projects take forever to get approved with all the NIMBYs and onerous requirements.  And housing is expensive and highly restricted, so the demand is not met.  If you are one of the lucky to get an affordable place, that's great. But many are priced out the area entirely. 

That's why is the slowest growing part of the Triangle. Again, great for the elites, not so good for the bottom tier. 

Edited by rolly
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, rolly said:

Chapel Hill is so progressive that it's hard to develop there. Downtown projects take forever to get approved with all the NIMBYs and onerous requirements.  And housing is expensive and highly restricted, so the demand is not met.  If you are one of the lucky to get an affordable place, that's great. But many are priced out the area entirely. 

That's why is the slowest growing part of the Triangle. Again, great for the elites, not so good for the bottom tier. 

That’s true.  I don’t regard it as expensive because it’s way cheaper than where we lived in Myers Park and dramatically cheaper than where we initially came from in NY years ago, but you are right.  

• Like 2

Overall the Triangle office market is doing great.  The most new construction in the entire quad cities area Raleigh Durham Cary Chapel Hill is in downtown Raleigh with over 900,000 sq ft under construction in 3 major projects and more to come.  Overall over 1.4 M sq ft of office space has been absorbed in the market in 2019 through Sept. 30.   In the report,  a fully vacant building in Cary is now 80% leased to Anthem and Xerox.  (Apple previously looked at this building)

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2019/11/20/report-triangle-office-demand-drives-up-rents-cuts-vacancies-to-record-levels/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

On 11/20/2019 at 3:06 PM, KJHburg said:

Overall the Triangle office market is doing great.  The most new construction in the entire quad cities area Raleigh Durham Cary Chapel Hill is in downtown Raleigh with over 900,000 sq ft under construction in 3 major projects and more to come.  Overall over 1.4 M sq ft of office space has been absorbed in the market in 2019 through Sept. 30.   In the report,  a fully vacant building in Cary is now 80% leased to Anthem and Xerox.  (Apple previously looked at this building)

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2019/11/20/report-triangle-office-demand-drives-up-rents-cuts-vacancies-to-record-levels/

I could see the combined Xerox-HP moving to the Triangle lock, stock, and barrel.  They will need to cut costs dramatically.

• Like 4

On 11/20/2019 at 10:07 AM, rolly said:

That's why is the slowest growing part of the Triangle. Again, great for the elites, not so good for the bottom 

Clarification?  Conservatives are against change.  People who are "progressive" politically, or socially, or even economically are champions of change.  These same people may also be, when it comes to change and being against it, "conservative".  Durham suffers from this too.  But in Durham, my experience is that it's racial and economic.  "Onerous" regulations?  Because the private sector developers are so concerned with development that doesn't become a burden to the taxpayer in 20 years after they've left?  As a city planning director, trained as urban designer, I agree that town planning and zoning have become stale and overwrought though generally mainly because planners aren't designers, they are trained to think in words, not design and there are some serious deficits in imagination.  Cities used to be "designed", now they regulated to death.  So, I kind of agree with you but not with the why part?   

Edited by Phillydog

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Raleigh named #2 best tech town after Austin and Charlotte comes in #6 this year.

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2019/12/03/raleigh-is-no-2-tech-town-in-us-behind-austin-durham-ranks-15th/

I'm not buying that Charlotte is ahead of cities like Denver, Atlanta, D.C., and Boston (?!?).  I know those cities well and they have a much larger tech presence than Charlotte. Afterall those cities made Amazon's top 20 list but Charlotte didn't precisely for that reason.

They must have shelled out some big bucks to get a higher spot on this list, but hard to believe anyone will buy this.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

I'm not buying that Charlotte is ahead of cities like Denver, Atlanta, D.C., and Boston (?!?).  I know those cities well and they have a much larger tech presence than Charlotte. Afterall those cities made Amazon's top 20 list but Charlotte didn't precisely for that reason.

They must have shelled out some big bucks to get a higher spot on this list, but hard to believe anyone will buy this.

the tech community is exploding in Charlotte and has been for the last 5-7 years with homegrown firms like AvidXchange, and all our banks hire lots of tech people. Lowes is opening a 2000 job tech center and that was announced earlier in the year.  Plus MUFG Union Bank a big Japanese bank opened up a tech center here as did Moodys.  Credit Karma is here and just doubled their office space.  Much of the tech jobs are in fin-tech but several pure play tech companies are here like Passport, Stratifyd etc.  Check out the Charlotte Tech News thread in the Charlotte UP site.  Our 2 largest banks have technology departments of 1000s upon 1000s of people in Charlotte.  Microsoft just announced 430 new jobs here as well in addition to their 1000 jobs here already. 

it is not based on the size of the tech market but the growth, the cost, average wage etc. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

from the Silicon Valley Business Journal about tech centers and Raleigh Durham is mentioned.   Go through the gallery of photos and look at the cost of living and see why Raleigh Durham is growing so fast.  As they said tech workers can go anywhere to work so quality of life and affordability are gaining even more importance,.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2019/12/09/heres-where-silicon-valley-s-f-are-in-new-pair-of.html

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Rufus said:

See my post from October. The one chance I have to get something ahead of you KJ!!

But still...I'm super excited to see how this turns out. 

I do remember that and this is  multi billion dollar company the kind that likes their name on atop a building.  I just wonder why it is not getting more press and is an official announcement forthcoming?  

• Like 4

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I do remember that and this is  multi billion dollar company the kind that likes their name on atop a building.  I just wonder why it is not getting more press and is an official announcement forthcoming?  

One can only hope that it happens when the spin-off takes place and it becomes a standalone company. 

Also, one can wish that by having their HQ in Raleigh, they mean downtown and not NH or Brier Creek or Morrisville or RTP...

I'd love to see them on something like 121 Fayetteville St. 

• Like 3

Is this going to be located inside the RTP or just nearby in Durham county?  I could not find that bit of information. 

I answered my own question in the Parmer RTP campus the old Glaxo campus.

from the Durham Sun Herald

""Eli Lilly will put its facility on the Parmer RTP campus in Research Triangle Park, a spokeswoman for the company said. The Parmer campus was once home to a sprawling collection of GlaxoSmithKline offices — but GSK sold its holdings there and only leases a few buildings now.

MOST HIRING WILL BE IN 2023
Eli Lilly won’t begin hiring significant numbers of employees until 2023, though the company will hire around a dozen employees this year to oversee the start of the project. The company currently has around 135 remote workers in North Carolina that work in sales.

It’s a return of sorts to RTP for Eli Lilly. The company had operations in the park from 1994 to 2004, when it shut down a lab that employed 142 people during a restructuring of the company, The News & Observer reported at the time. At that time, Eli Lilly owned property near Cornwallis Road and T.W. Alexander Drive, which it acquired when it bought Sphinx Pharmaceuticals.  Trulicity is a self-injectable drug for the treatment of Type 2 diabetes and manufactured by Eli Lilly. Rick Bowmer AP
Founded in 1901, Eli Lilly employs around 33,000 people across the world, with more than 7,700 employees specifically working in research and development. The company says it spends around $5.3 billion in R&D expenditures annually.    

PHARMACEUTICAL JOBS IN DURHAM
Durham County has seen a spate of pharmaceutical manufacturing jobs in recent years thanks to incentives from the state.  Last year, Merck said it would add around 400 manufacturing jobs in Durham in exchange for $12.5 million in incentives, The News & Observer reported. Another company, AveXis, plans to bring manufacturing jobs to Durham after receiving multiple incentives.   Corning, which makes materials used in pharmaceutical manufacturing, said in 2018 it would create more than 300 jobs in Durham after receiving an incentive package, The Herald-Sun reported.""

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3