Triangle Economic News

KJHburg

18 minutes ago, Durham_Transplant said:

Huge day for the Triangle. The Google announcement...wow. Would have been virtually inconceivable even 5 years ago. People across the country will take note of that kind of investment from a name brand of that caliber. Exciting things ahead across the whole region.

All of this seems too good to be true, but it shows how a little careful planning and regional cooperation decades ago can lead to great things in the future.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

All of this seems too good to be true, but it shows how a little careful planning and regional cooperation decades ago can lead to great things in the future.

Very true, feels like the region has been slowly building toward something big but a few of these moves could really be the catalyst to put things over the top.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Durham_Transplant said:

People across the country will take note of that kind of investment from a name brand of that caliber. Exciting things ahead across the whole region.

Except they won't know about it.  The national media is obsessed with Austin, Texas, Nashville, TN, and Georgia.  There's nothing else happening.  Charlotte's mass transit / urban investment and the Triangle's booming economy should be national news but alas, North Carolina isn't sexy enough for the national media.  Part of this our fault.  We suck at being bloviators like Texans, Tennesseans, and Georgians.  North Carolinians have always been modest -- the proverbial valley of humility.  In the end, the proof is in the pudding I suppose - we are growing faster than Georgia or TN; Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham are growing faster than Atlanta or Nashville.   

12 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

Thanks to the most Progressive leadership in the South...Terry Sanford.  

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Phillydog said:

Except they won't know about it.  The national media is obsessed with Austin, Texas, Nashville, TN, and Georgia.  There's nothing else happening.  Charlotte's mass transit / urban investment and the Triangle's booming economy should be national news but alas, North Carolina isn't sexy enough for the national media.  Part of this our fault.  We suck at being bloviators like Texans, Tennesseans, and Georgians.  North Carolinians have always been modest -- the proverbial valley of humility.  In the end, the proof is in the pudding I suppose - we are growing faster than Georgia or TN; Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham are growing faster than Atlanta or Nashville and in a bit of delicious irony about their state, Georgians appear to love NC so much the NC mountains are a prime destination for relocation and second homes.  

I agree that the region is a bit under appreciated in the national discussion but honestly I’m okay with it. The decision makers clearly understand the value of the Triangle, as evidenced by the wave of recent announcements, and the growth trajectory here feels much more sustainable long term. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Durham_Transplant said:

I agree that the region is a bit under appreciated in the national discussion but honestly I’m okay with it. The decision makers clearly understand the value of the Triangle, as evidenced by the wave of recent announcements, and the growth trajectory here feels much more sustainable long term. 

Agreed -- but I'm a little worried about the sustainability of growth without a bigger investment in infrastructure like transit and amenities to attract and retain talent and capital.  

1 hour ago, Phillydog said:

Agreed -- but I'm a little worried about the sustainability of growth without a bigger investment in infrastructure like transit and amenities to attract and retain talent and capital.  

Totally agree about transit. And it’s just going to get more difficult to solve the problem as the population explosion continues in places like Clayton, Holly Springs, etc. Perhaps a more significant shift to hybrid work structure helps there but we absolutely need to be able to move people around the region more effectively for personal and professional needs. 

1 hour ago, Phillydog said:

Totally agree about transit. And it’s just going to get more difficult to solve the problem as the population explosion continues in places like Clayton, Holly Springs, etc. Perhaps a more significant shift to hybrid work structure helps there but we absolutely need to be able to move people around the region more effectively for personal and professional needs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Durham_Transplant said:

When you create a cluster such as what is currently happening here around life sciences and high tech, it will be virtually impossible to not continue to grow. Other companies will come simply because of the pool of available talent alone. Big tech especially likes to "steal" talent from other big tech companies. Let Google groom them and they are rip for the plucking.

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Fidelity Investments adding 225 more employees at their Durham RTP site.

Financial giant Fidelity to hire 225 in Durham - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

currently they employ 3600+ people in Durham County. 

I'm surprised that those jobs didn't go to Charlotte, unless they're IT related.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Ag-tech company moving HQ to Apex from Ohio.  

EnviroFlight picks Apex for headquarters move, R&D facility - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""An agricultural technologies company that turns insects into food for animals and fertilizer for crops is moving its headquarters to Apex and has a new research and development facility in the works.  EnviroFlight, a wholly owned subsidiary of Darling Ingredients Inc. (NYSE: DAR), is constructing a new 30,000-square-foot facility for its new headquarters and research and development facility that is expected to employ 30 to 40 people and amount to a $9 million investment.""

• Like 4

Yes the Stitch is now fully leased with the latest biopharma company.  from the Triangle Biz Journal today.

""OCS Capital and Equator Capital Management of New York City have announced that genetic testing firm Invitae has signed on to lease all available office, research and lab space in The Stitch, the former site of the Morrisville Outlet Mall.  Invitae announced its expansion into Morrisville on Tuesday in a move expected to create 374 jobs over the next five years and garner an investment of $114.6 million over the next decade. Invitae will lease all 245,159 square feet of Class A office, research and lab space at the site. The property also includes 18,000 square feet of amenity space, including fitness and retail space.""

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

Raleigh ranks #7 in comparison with other major metro areas in CBRE Development opportunity list.

Charlotte Secures Top 10 Spot on CBRE’s Inaugural U.S. Development Opportunity Index | CBRE

Raleigh did better than most cities including Charlotte  even better than Nashville #20 for example.  

You can download the whole report from that link above. 

• Like 4