Triangle Economic News

KJHburg

A lot of single people will move to downtown Durham.  It's obviously a quick ride down the Durham Freeway to the RTP.      In fact, I’m fairly certain that DT Durham is a lot closer to the RTP than DT Raleigh is, and the Durham Freeway is a better road to travel on (in terms of traffic) than I-40 is.

Many families will come to Chapel Hill due to the schools and the liberal vibe that Californians seek.  Also, for such a small place, Chapel Hill is amazingly international.    There are a lot of Europeans here.

I know that in my neighborhood, a lot of people have recently moved from California.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

A lot of single people will move to downtown Durham.  It's obviously a quick ride down the Durham Freeway to the RTP.      In fact, I’m fairly certain that DT Durham is a lot closer to the RTP than DT Raleigh is, and the Durham Freeway is a better road to travel on (in terms of traffic) than I-40 is.

Many families will come to Chapel Hill due to the schools and the liberal vibe that Californians seek.  Also, for such a small place, Chapel Hill is amazingly international.    There are a lot of Europeans here.

I know that in my neighborhood, a lot of people have recently moved from California.

A lot will move to Durham and Chapel Hill, but I would venture to say that a larger percentage will move to DT Raleigh, North Raleigh, and Cary. Even Apex and Holly Springs will get it's fair share. Don't be so biased and greedy. LOL

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KJHburg said:

would this not have a RTP mailing address?  Cisco has one 

Cisco Systems, Inc | Research Triangle Park (rtp.org)

Correct. The 27709 zip code is RTP, NC though it can be listed as Durham too. That entire area is a mishmash of RTP, Durham, Cary, Morrisville and Raleigh. The annexation wars of the late 80s and early 90s in this area were ridiculous. I’m pretty sure you could create a path and hit 5 cities in under 3 miles. 

CFBE2E82-DACE-43E9-8F0B-7526E205FEC2.jpeg

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Durham_Transplant said:

I agree that the actual Apple employees will likely live all over the Triangle (probably not Holly Springs though...) but it’s somewhat irrelevant because the gravitational pull of Apple and Google will drive significant growth all over the region.

Yes Holly Springs for someone who is looking for a SF home as it is right of 540 and 20 minute expressway ride away from the new Apple campus.  these Apple employees will be everywhere and it depends on their age and stage in life but not all are in the 20s.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Yes Holly Springs for someone who is looking for a SF home as it is right of 540 and 20 minute expressway ride away from the new Apple campus.  these Apple employees will be everywhere and it depends on their age and stage in life but not all are in the 20s.  

Butner will only be 20 minutes from Apple once the 885 opens and it's not yet been "discovered"... it's also closest to DT Durham.  I'm watching Butner/south Granville for more growth.  It's too convenient with Fall Lake frontage to not grow.  

• Like 3

I still prefer Charlotte to the Triangle, but this ranking is not surprising.  The number of incredibly smart people in the Triangle is mind-boggling.  This alone is a major factor in the area’s development, as it offers a really unparalleled work force for science and tech industries.

I believe that within twenty-five years, the Triangle will surpass Atlanta as the economic powerhouse of the south.  It will attract a lot of high tech companies from Silicon Valley and Boston, both of which are DRAMATICALLY more expensive than the Triangle.  Few affordable places in America have the work force to accommodate this.

This list shows the extraordinary level of genius in Chapel Hill.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/studies/most-educated-places-america/

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

38 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

In worldwide ranking of quality of life in cities Raleigh comes up at #3 tops in the USA and better than Charlotte #12 and Austin # 9 and much higher than Nashville #73.

Quality of Life Index (numbeo.com)

Can things get any better for this area? Feels like the Golden Age around here.

42 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

In worldwide ranking of quality of life in cities Raleigh comes up at #3 tops in the USA and better than Charlotte #12 and Austin # 9 and much higher than Nashville #73.

Quality of Life Index (numbeo.com)

I will emphasize that this is the world, not just the US. Expect HUGE things to happen here in coming years. No more coming in 3rd in the southeast to Atlanta and Charlotte.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Little Butner...two very cool companies with big growth potential.  Butner, has miles of lake frontage and 3 interchanges off I-85, located 15 minutes from downtown Durham and RTP (when the 885 opens).  

https://abc11.com/carolina-coop-chicken-manufacturer-nc-jobs-north/10583865/

https://nuggetcomfort.com/blogs/big/new-home

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 1:14 PM, RALNATIVE said:

A lot will move to Durham and Chapel Hill, but I would venture to say that a larger percentage will move to DT Raleigh, North Raleigh, and Cary. Even Apex and Holly Springs will get it's fair share. Don't be so biased and greedy. LOL

lol on another site, the Durhamites feel that everything that happens in RTP, even Apple, which is the Wake County side is their achievement. You have to remind them that RTP is a regional effort and most people in the Triangle live in Wake County.  Especially Apple, yes, the CEO went to Duke but the COO of Apple is a native Raleigh citizen and NCSU graduate. It's not like Google project that was pretty much a Duke collab spawn.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, carolina1792 said:

lol on another site, the Durhamites feel that everything that happens in RTP, even Apple, which is the Wake County side is their achievement. You have to remind them that RTP is a regional effort and most people in the Triangle live in Wake County.  Especially Apple, yes, the CEO went to Duke but the COO of Apple is a native Raleigh citizen and NCSU graduate. It's not like Google project that was pretty much a Duke collab spawn.  

Good point, but it’s the same metro area so there shouldn’t be any rivalry.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

After driving around the Triangle the last 2 days I more convinced than ever this is ONE metro and needs to be designated as ONE MSA.  I went to the part of the town of Cary that is in Chatham County supposedly part of the Durham metro but is only 3 miles from the proposed Apple campus in Wake. So much job growth again in the RTP which draws people from not only Durham and Wake but all the surrounding counties.  One Raleigh Durham metro area would be over 2 million the size of Nashville and I think it is a big mistake not to have this one metro as the nation views it that way anyway.  I hope the local leaders of both Raleigh Cary metro and Durham Chapel Hill metro areas lobby the Census bureau to designate this as ONE metro as it was for years and years.  Together the Raleigh Durham Cary Chapel Hill are stronger together and all these economic development wins of late are choosing the region and that does not stop at the Wake Durham border. 

If you think all of Apple's new employees will live in Wake County you are mistaken.  If you think all of GRAIL and Google employees will live in Durham county you are mistaken.  The prestige of being a part of a 2 Million plus metro area is much more than some petty differences amongst your counties.  

IMG_6857.JPG

IMG_6873.JPG

RIGHT ON!  You are absolutely correct.  It was absurd that the Census Bureau split Raleigh and Durham into two separate metro.  It dies matter when ranking cities, for example.  It matters when businesses are deciding where to put new operations, etc..  the Census Bureau did this the same time they moved Brunswick County from the Wilmington MSA to Mrytle Beach (Brunswick County is literally across the river from Wilmington).   It was also the time that the US Census Bureau moved its Southeast regional office out of Charlotte to Georgia.  It is absolutely political.  Our Congressional representatives need to fight harder for NC.  I get that the majority of them hate Washington, but at the end of the day, it is costing NC money and prestige.  Our elected officials in Raleigh are no better.  They literally handed Georgia our film and TV industry; and, it wasn't even political orthodoxy to do it since Georgia is controlled even more tightly by the same political party.  It was plain stupidity.  

• Like 1

How about this rumor?  Hmmm close to major universities and cheaper location than Portland and no daily riots like Portland.

Nike maybe coming with a big office lease to Chapel Hill's iconic building.

""Sources tell TBJ Nike may be taking over office space in the iconic Parkline building at 1830 Fordham Blvd. along U.S. 15 and 501. The $37 billion corporation based outside Portland, Oregon, could share the rhomboid-shaped building with companies including UNC Health, which leased over 50,000 square feet in 2020. It is unclear when the company would move in and how much space it plans to occupy in the building. Nike (NYSE: NKE) did not return requests for comment. Sources said it is not clear at what stage of the process the deal currently stands.""\

First Google, then Apple — now is Nike looking to set up shop in the Triangle? - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

my photo from this week!  Maybe this was the reason I was up in the area maybe not LOL

IMG_6583.JPG

• Like 3

6 hours ago, carolina1792 said:

There you have it, Amazon narrowed down the HQ2 list to Chicago, Philly, and Raleigh and then Bezo threw all that work away and went with his gut.  Raleigh would have been a top choice for a major office project. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/books/review/amazon-unbound-brad-stone.html

Impressive.  We were that close.  Oh, and by the way, the Times used Raleigh with out "NC".  

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...